PDA

View Full Version : 2004 479r Build/Rebuild,Before and After,Custom Painted Blue/White/With Blue Pearl!!!

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Well here it is finally!!! Heres the backround of this quad;was bought maybe 6 or 7 months ago and was bought with the crank bearing out for $1,500 and it had the head pulled off already and had been standing for about 2 years.We brought it like that to the atv shop were wenever the guy would get around to fixing it there would be either something missing or broken again and so we had to get a whole new hotrods crank,right hand side case,a coolant tempurature sensor thing,and a stator just from throwing the bearing(may be forgetting some other small misc. parts we had to get),and then we added(this stuff was optional) a CP 12:5:1 piston,Hotcams Stage 2,and a full DASA exhaust.

Well after geting it back from the shop after about 3 months of it being there and it standing almost 2 years it was in desperate need of a clean up so within the next couple days i cleaned it up nice.I'll post a pic first of how it looked when we got it back from the shop,then the next ones will be of what it looked like when i got done cleaning it up.

After them couple days of cleaning it and MAYBE 3hrs ride time on it the shift fork goes out on it and so i make the decision to completly tear it down to the frame and get it painted the way id like it with my kinda colors lol.My Girlfriends dad has been doing auto bodywork and painting for about 38 years and he's got his own shop so i brought all the parts out there and sanded em down myself and he painted them all the way i wanted.

BTW this all took a couple months to get the money and stuff to do this.Anyway meanwhile we tore down the motor ourselves this time (me and my dad) and then here recently we got all the parts ordered and got our nieghbor who is a mechanic to come help us put it all together with the help of a manual i downloaded.
He did most of the work puting the motor back together from the cases being split and he took $100 for doing it,lol lil better than the $350-$500+ some shops charge.As for the motor it got all 3 new shift forks,and a complete cylinder works 479cc kit!!!

The quad got brand new rear wheels and tires(8x8 .190's with 18's on em) and a turner vent cap thingy in blue and some header wrap ordered from motosport.com for $181.somthing and it was all here in 2 days i think it was,mighta been 3!!! I also got used 19" holeshot fronts mounted on used front douglas rims,and some spider grips.

Alright i think that just about wraps that up!I only know how to post one pic at a time so yall will have the bear with me lol.These pics of it are not the way its gona stay,i am puting the rear fenders on it(therye white too)but i need to re-jet it first and its less hassel with them off.Once i get the rear fenders on it and clean it up real good i'll post some more pics of the completely complete quad lol.Im still debating on wether or not to just leave the front fenders off of it.

All the paint that you see has blue pearl in it sprayed over with the clear together,on the white plastics you can see it real good in person but in the pics you cant really see it but its there and its NICEEE in person!!!!! The radiator hoses are clear,its just heater hose i picked up.all the brake lines are stock,i just taped them all with blue electrical tape as with most of the wiring.The colors are a viper/cyrsler blue and then it fades to a artic white i believe it is also all with blue pearl even all the blue and some of the parts have abit of glitter mised in with them also.

As for performance wise i have not broken it in yet its got mayb 5-8mins run/ride time on it but it has plentyyy power and torque!!!it started 2nd or 3rd kick after i realized the killswitch was turned off lol.Its poping alot on decel so im going to put a 200 jet in it and adjust the needle today yet.Im VERY happy with the way it turned out and i cant wait to totally complete it and get it out on some dirt and let'r rip!!!

Thank You to all those on here that sold me parts and bought some from me.It is GREATLY apreciated!!!
Thanks also goes to my Girlfriend,me and her planned out all the colors and what part/parts which color,and my Mom and Dad for puting up with my babling about what i wana do,and what color,and what would look good and for puting up with my fourwheeler obsession,almost,kinda,sorta well i guess it is.....

Sorry if that was a little bit long but no need to read it all if yall dont fell like it =) let me know what yall think.

-Jared

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 01:59 AM
This was after cleaning it up and stuff,also it was MUCH dirtier than it looks in the previous pic,imagine mud caked on almost everywere and spiderwebs and stuff all over the place and oil too!!!

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Another of it cleaned up.

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Last one of it cleaned up.Cleaning it up also included geting rid of the whole airbox and custom making the ruber intake boot,i'll have to get a pic of it yet to show.

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Alright so heres the frame on monday:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Still monday:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Monday still:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:17 AM
this is yesterday:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:19 AM
The rest are all from yesterday actually lol

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Here we are at its curent state:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Another

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Another one

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:37 AM
And yet another =)

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Last one for now!!!

spanky101
04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
That looks good man! I really like how the frame has the fade on it!

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
hey man thanks! i just got done cleaning up the shop so later on today i might put the back plastics on it and finish it up alil more and today or tomorrow probably post some more close up pics and stuff.

spanky101
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Good luck, im axious to see it fully done! What graphics are you running, if any?

Jersey450R
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
uuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :confused:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
um im not sure if im gona have any graphics on it.i did the blue pearl in the white plastics to make it not so plain to were i didnt need plastics.you cant see it in these pics but in person its pretty visible and gives it a nice effect!i'll try to get pics yet were you can see it. Jersey450R uuuuummmmmmmmmm what?

coryatver
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
That paint job is really awesome. Very original and looks good. The only thing i don't like on it is flipping the front wheels. Don't do it man. Makes it handle horrible and wear out your front end and looks really bad

BlaineKaiser450
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
looks cool! dont see stuff done like that often

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Thank yall very much for the compliment i appreciate em and coryatver the before pics are fliped stock rims which is how it was when i bought it but the ones in the after pics the way it is now those rims are just offset like that so i didnt flip them,they are what my local performance atv shop had there and i got em for $70.

440challenger
04-08-2009, 07:30 PM
thats not going to last long if you plan on rididng it.:ermm:

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
lol thts the thing,i dont really,lol.only real race ive ever been to was just at a 1/8th mile dragstrip and that was with my 400ex.
i might hit a track once but not alot at all,mainly just draging here and there and just a backroads cruiser i guess,if i even keep it long. i raced a banshee today,its mods are cpi pipes,boost bottle,cool head,boost bottle,bored .20 over,k&n,6inch over swing arm and i THINK reeds but idk bout now i think it used to atleast,ANYWAY we raced on pavement like about 4 runs and i'd take him from start to finish about 7-10 bike lengths!!! oh and he had good starts he said so,and we did a race from 2nd gear roll and same results,i took off from him!!!

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
well i got some more pictures,the only thing i lack yet is puting the nets in which were red before and i tried to paint em black but idk how well thats going for me since theyre nylon...i think i'll leave the front fenders off,what do yall think?

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
i need to paint the underside of that seat white lol

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
i should get a custom seat too,lol so many possibilities

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
you can see the clear hose pretty good there,i wanted to get the blue coolant but my dad seemed to be sure that this stuff was the best from his expirience lol.i also need to paint the coolant bottle or overflow whatever it is it needs to be white too.

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
sorry the lighting wasnt very bright and i couldnt get a pic that really shows the pearl,will try again yet though.

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
See my redbull can? lol if you look in the pics were im still puting it together you'll see a redbull on the left back tire well (it was like 7 in the morning) well i seend people do that to shocks but i only had one redbull so i zip tied it to the stem and the white zip ties blend in quite well actually!

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
front

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I have the front tires on the wrong way dont i?

S.A.J
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
last one for now

hendershot106
04-09-2009, 08:25 AM
:huh :huh :huh :huh

i dont know what to say about this....... why would you paint EVERYTHING.... especially the radiator.... that will hold in heat....

spanky101
04-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I think some things would have looked better without paint but its your bike and as long as your happy bout the outcome!

04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
:huh :huh :huh :huh

i dont know what to say about this....... why would you paint EVERYTHING.... especially the radiator.... that will hold in heat.... X2.. i honestly think it doesnt look that good at all. you pained EVERYTHING That could have been painted. i dont care for it or the fade:ermm: :rolleyes:

S.A.J
04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
well to each his own but i love the way everything looks.plus on show/sand/drag quads dont they get everything painted? i know it curently dont look like a drag/sand quad but it wouldnt take a bunch,plus thats about the only riding i do,i think for my aplication/what im using it for its perfect!

fandl450r
04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Painting the radiator = Fail. Painting a lot of the things you painted = fail.

But as you said to each is own.

hendershot106
04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Especially painting the shocks, brakelines, and master cylinders..... :rolleyes:

And you still never told us what you painted with??? spray bomb or a basecoat/clear gun system?????

How long you think the white paint will last on the fuel tank if graphics only last a couple races????

S.A.J
04-09-2009, 02:22 PM
i didnt paint the brake lines,all the cables that are blue if you would have read are taped with blue electrical tape which i dont expect to last long either IF i get it dirty.the radiator part i didnt know if i was gona paint it at first but since i was painting everythng else and i couldnt get it clean cause it was caked in mud like stained into there i decided to.and IF you woulda read what i wrote you would have read that it was all done by a professional bodyman whos painted and worked on cars for 38years and do you think that someone like thats gona use spray bomb(im thinkin you mean something like rattle can by saying spray bomb):huh ? i first sanded EVERYTHNG down best i could and then wiped off with paint or laquer thiner and then it was sprayed with like adhesive or some stuff that makes paint stick better and then was given a couple coats of color,and then a coat or 2 of clear with blue pearl mixed in it and for some parts some glitter all sprayed through a air gun i think you would call it. as for the gas tank idk i have my doubts too but i thought id atleast find out and by the way I DONT AND HAVE NEVER RACED OR EVEN BEEN ON AN TRACK cept for a dragstrip!!!! anotherwords the body doesnt hardly get abused at all so i think it'll be fine. i personally think its very unique and cool and looks real good and hardly anybodys got something like it and i love that fact and i thank all of you that think the same thing and to those who dont,im sorry we dont see eye to eye but i didnt start this thread to get another arguement on the boards and i dont care if you say you dont like it but PLEASE DO NOT start an arguement about it.

04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
eagle one etching mag cleaner... its you friend.haha

removes any stain off anything.

get it at autozone,walmart,napa any auto parts store

hendershot106
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
OK bert... u win.......the race for an overheated engine.

S.A.J
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
lol shoulda told me about that before and i woulda used it and not painted it...i think it'll be fine,the radiator doesnt have a thick coat on the fins and stuff anyway.my gf's dad also mentioned we didnt wana go to thick on it cause it needed to cool still(he used to drag race and build his own cars and stuff so he knows a thing or two).

lzyga05
04-18-2009, 02:07 PM
wow guys stop bashing him,

rdj450
04-19-2009, 07:27 AM
man dont listen to these guys. so what if they dont like it, it aint their's. i think it looks pretty sweet. who knows how durable the paint will be or if anything will overheat or not, NOBODY!. only time will tell, and if something does go wrong than you'll know what not to do next time.

ALAMX37
04-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Very unique, thats all I can say. Not my personal taste, but its your bike. Can honestly say I have never seen one like it so job well done.

cmmick
04-19-2009, 10:57 AM
If you are a bit worried about the radiator. . . check out Glann Innovations, he makes an inline cooler. My 450r used to REALLY hot, boiling, I races a couple weeks ago and it didn't get hot.

d3ktrix
04-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Painting radiators is fine as long as you do it right.
Just have to give the front and back edges of the fins a lite dusting.
Spray the paint STRAIGHT at the radiator and not at an angle so the sides of the fins do not get coated.

The sides of the fins is where the majority of the heat transfer happens.

Here's a perfect example.
This is a picture of the radiator for the water cooling on my computer.
If you look at the radiator generally straight on, it looks like it is coated 100% black.(Picture 1) But if you look at it from more of an extreme angle with good lighting you can see the raw copper on the sides of the fins. (Picture 2)
Both pictures are of the same radiator.

The radiator came from the manufacture like this, and PC water cooling parts are all about MAXIMUM performance, so if the paint would hinder the cooling performance of the rad even 1-2 degree's they wouldn't do it.

Weather S.A.J painted his rad correctly or not I don't know, I'm just saying it can be done without destroying your cooling system.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/PC_rad_1.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/PC_rad_2.jpg

S.A.J
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
thank you very much for the compliments everybody!!! and yeah i can still see the raw copper on the side of the fins somewhat,i think it'll be fine so far so good atleast...i think the tank like i expected the paint is gona come of cause theres a bubble in it already and the front hood i took the paint off cause i tried scrathing somethng off of it and it didnt work so great so i ended up taking it all off.it actually wont look so bad cause the hood,seat and tank will be black so i think it'll blend in pretty good,plus the exhaust is black as well as part of the nerfs were they mount....

Jessem24
04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
i think you did a great job man. i bet half these guys on here dont even know how to take apart and assemble a quad! HA

looks good man but when i do my 400 im goin with the powder coat, only cuz i do mx and i hear paint chips?

and as far as the radiator goes. i think itll be ok, you didnt spray alot and air goes right through it, i think most of the paint mist did too. Looks good!

S.A.J
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
thanks man and yeah if i were a hardcore racer id prolly have gone powdercoat too...

trx400 rider
04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
idc i think that is sick!very nice

vAnS_77
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Looks great! People are just jealous!

S.A.J
04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
thanks yall for the compliment,mayb i'll get some pics of it in action since i just got my helmet back too!

Jessem24
04-22-2009, 01:42 PM
how do you like those tires? they have hug lugs on them! hows the wear factor? my stockers wore out fast, i was gonna get irazrs but if these are good ill ge tthese, there alot cheaper

S.A.J
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
i only got about 1.5hrs on the quad since all of tht was done and alot of the time was on asphault or pavement but id say so far so good,try em out for yourself lol for $40 it hardly would matter if they wore out quik cause theyre so cheep!

Jessem24
04-26-2009, 05:03 PM
40 a peice? damn most are 60-90 a peice! i just might try em! thanks man, once again great job. i like the blue on the motor the best

S.A.J
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM
thanks once again also lol and yup $39.95 or sumthing like that from motosport.com

Jessem24
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
ha no kidding! i get ALL my stuff from motosport

hendershot106
04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Jessem24
how do you like those tires? they have hug lugs on them! hows the wear factor? my stockers wore out fast, i was gonna get irazrs but if these are good ill ge tthese, there alot cheaper

i rode on a set of those tires at durhamtown.... its a damn good thing they only cost 40 apiece.... there is very little tread too them.... the fronts turn very well in hardpack.. and decent in loam... and the rears slide, slide, and slide in hardpack.... bottom line is you get what you pay for!!!! bang for the buck for sure.

S.A.J
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
i havent tried the front but yes the rear tires suck for hardpack they slide very easily and dont bite,BUT i bet theyd be good for softer conditions. so far i would get em again because what kinda tire really does wonderfully on hard packed stuff anyway?