PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Question

TeamNeilson
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I've done some searching here and found out that the recommended Alignment is 1/8 inch Toe-In.

From what i've read, the machine should be on the ground, with rider in full gear, leaning forward to simulate front weight scenario.

My question now, is... The 1/8 Inch Toe-In... Is that per wheel or overall? How should I measure this?

Do I run a measure tape across the back of the wheel, then run the measure tape across the front of the wheels and the difference should be 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch?

Oh, I had to replace my tie-rod ends. When I received them, they are slightly different. The ones that I received were tapered top to bottom, where the ones that came off, seemed to have a flat stop on the Steering Stem side. Should I be worried that these will loosen or otherwise cause me problems?

Thanks everyone for all your help lately, You have no idea how much I appreciate it :)

yfz450bb07
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Come on Brad where ya at!!!!:devil: :devil:

Tommy Warren
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
The flat spot on your tie rod is just a spot to put a wrench on to hold the tie rod while you tighten the ends up. I wouldn't worry about it but I think the flat spots are supposed to be on the wheel end not near the steering stem but i'm not sure the last ones I did were on a 450r. I'm not positive about your toe in problem but I imagine its 1/8 over all because if you toe in too much your front tires will be pushing towards each other causing a major loss of speed. I try to keep mine a straight as possible.

wvspeedfreak
04-09-2009, 12:16 PM
1/8" total toe-in is what we always run.

GNCC GROVE
04-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I like 1/8 toe on each tire on my 450. As for the mini I would think that or a little less would work fine. However you want the rider on the quad when checking this measurment. Just measure the center of the tires. This works better with a helper.

TeamNeilson
04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Maybe i'm overthinking the whole process (I tend to be way over analytical), but I had a couple of challenges, which I tried to overcome.

First was that I couldn't realistically just measure the front centre, and then measure the back and figure out the difference because if one tire was toed out when I did the measurement, then my alignment would be skewed.

I needed a reliable centre line to measure both distances from. Since the DRR doesn't have a centre line affixed to the bike that I could just run from we did the following:

What I did (or attempted to do anyhow) was cut an aluminum rod in half and temporarily mount them between the lower A-Arm mounts.. one pointing in, one pointing out. Since the A-Arm mounts are identical front and back, it gives me a good starting point. Then measure each side of the aluminum rod to the centre of the tire and voila.. alignment done :D

Thanks everyone for your input, I truly appreciate it.

GNCC GROVE
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
There is another way. !st you need a string about 15+ feet long, now take one end of the string and hook it to a spare tire laying in front of the quad, run the string along the side of the front tire back to the rear tire, then around the back of the rear tires, back up to the front on the oppsit side and hook it to another spare tire. then adjust the string to about the center of the tires up and down. make sure the string is tight and just touches the rear tires equally, you do this by moving the spare tires in front of the quad back and forth. Do both sides then you can measure the string to the front tire which gives you your toe. NOTE if the front is wider than the rear you need to use a spacer between the rear tires and string,make sure your spacers are the same width, also make sure the tire psi is the same between the left & right.