PDA

View Full Version : How durable???

Lowcountrydave
04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
How durable is powder coating. I would like some feed back on people who have had aluminum rims powder coated. I would imagine the aluminum flexes. Does the powder coating flex also?

Trying to understand powder coating better. I would like to know if powder coating will last on rims.

Dave

05LSR250R
04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Powder coating on rear rims will chip over time!

brian76708
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
so what is the best paint to use on rims??? Pappy where r u?

Pappy
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
The basics...

PC is on average 10 times more durable then regular paints

Once cured, pc is paint and should be treated as such(wash and care for like you would paint)

PC will resist chipping, but like all coatings it can be damaged.

The biggest advantages to PC over paint is produces no VOC's during application and curing, its stronger and more durable then most paints, a part can be done and be put back in service as soon as its cool enough to touch.

One coat of pc is equivilant to roughly 5 or 6 coats of paint sprayed through a typical applicator.

It resists seperating from the metal during flex, and can offer far suprerior rust protection if a primer is used. And on average, its cheaper.

Thats the quick and fast, hope it helps

wvspeedfreak
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Trust me...forget the paint and go with powder coat.Put a painted part and a powdercoated part in a sand blast cabinet and go to town.......you will see first hand the durability difference :p

I have run pc'd rims and they held up well.

Ruby Soho
04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
powdercoat hands down

05LSR250R
04-07-2009, 07:49 PM
YEP! Definitely powder coat over paint! Rear rims do take quite the beating! Anything you put on rims will eventually get chipped from the stone spray sandwich. You could run Hi-Pers if your lookin for the blacked out look?

TWISTED
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The basics...

PC is on average 10 times more durable then regular paints

Once cured, pc is paint and should be treated as such(wash and care for like you would paint)

PC will resist chipping, but like all coatings it can be damaged.

The biggest advantages to PC over paint is produces no VOC's during application and curing, its stronger and more durable then most paints, a part can be done and be put back in service as soon as its cool enough to touch.

One coat of pc is equivilant to roughly 5 or 6 coats of paint sprayed through a typical applicator.

It resists seperating from the metal during flex, and can offer far suprerior rust protection if a primer is used. And on average, its cheaper.

Thats the quick and fast, hope it helps

You talk like you know what you're doing........

Pappy
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED
You talk like you know what you're doing........

I just turned the oven off for the night, its been cooking since 7 am:p