PDA

View Full Version : 440 install questions...

04EX721
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
After taking the engine apart, I lookedn over everything to make sure it was moving freely. Now that I have turned the crank over, how do I set the timing right upon assembly? Also how is the cam chain tensioner supposed to be installed? Do you need to turn the screw when installing, or just bolt it back in? I have an HMF slip on, and K&N filter, and will be using the stock cam, where should I start with the jetting? I will be running 93 octane pump gas.

rob_990
04-07-2009, 07:34 PM
for the tensioner there is a little screw in the middle that makes the think that sticks out retract when you screw it in.dont try to force it in cause youll probably break something.

im not sure about the timing.when i do the timing i get it at tdc then i put a line across the chain and sprocket with a marker so it will be exactly as it was before.

honda400ex2003
04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
you just line up the t on the crank with the spot on the motor. Then when you do your cam make sure the lines are parrallel and it is facing the right way and you should be good. steve

pods_BMOC
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, line the sidewase "T" mark on the flyweel to the small notch in the flywheel cover on your engine,.. you will have to take out the 2 large plugs and get in there with a 14mm socket and spin the crank,.. as for the cam,.. you should have the notches on the cam straight down,.. and the holes for the cam sprocket straight perpendicular with the eninge.

04EX721
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Ok, thanks everybody for the replies. It is much apreciated, as this is the first time rebuilding a 4 stroke. Oh, yeah, I just want to do it right the first time because we all know how fun it is removing everything to get to the top of the motor. Any tips on jetting?