PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU install Crankshaft Main Bearings on 250R's?

KP250R
04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Like the title says:

How do YOU install Crankshaft Main Bearings on a 250R?

The TRX250R Service Manual says "install new bearings into the right crankcase"...and lists:

TOOLS:

Crankshaft Bearing
Driver
Attachment 62 x 68mm
Pilot, 28mm
Mainshaft Bearing:
Driver
Attachment 52 x 55mm
Pilot, 25mm
Countershaft Bearing
Driver
Attachment, 37 x 40mm

I have been through a few 2-stroke engines but only (1) 250R.
When " I " personally have rebuilt a 2 stroke, we did the Propane Torch/Freezing of the Bearings, lube up a cold bearing in 2 stroke oil, heat up the race part of the case and drop it in method...and never had any problems.

I have seen them pressed in with a Hyd. Press.
Tapped in with a hammer and race punch.
And everyone has their own method.

How do YOU do it?
I wanna know the most common method to do it "right".

Thanks

deathman53
04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
one guy that I know, he freezes the bearing, heats the case and presses in the bearings and holds them in the press for several minutes. He says that when the cold bearing and warm case interact, it can force the bearing out from the case. When I rebuild carriers, I freeze the bearing, heat the center of the carrier up, bearing drops in, both bearings and center tube and use a large c-clamp and 2 sockets to hold the bearings tight, so they don't force themselves out. I've done some carriers before w/o holding the bearings and they driven themselves out some. When everything is installed, ride for 2 minutes and the axle nuts is very loose. End of that happening, now.

nashport_native
04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
just did mine last month, froze the bearing and heated the case on both the trx250r and my wifes lt250r

96_banshee_96
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by nashport_native
just did mine last month, froze the bearing and heated the case on both the trx250r and my wifes lt250r

Same here did mine 2 weeks or so ago. Works the same installing the crank also

timfo1
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 96_banshee_96
Same here did mine 2 weeks or so ago. Works the same installing the crank also
when u did the crank did u heat the case in oven or heat just the bearing area with torch?

Honda 250r 001
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
just put the case in the hot sun in the summer. and put the bearing in the freezer. thats the easiest way to do this and you wont hurt the bearing pounding it in.

96_banshee_96
04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I left my crank in the freezer over night. Use a heat gun and heat up the bearing untill you cant stand to touch it with out burning your fingers a little. Take the crank out of the freezer and hury up and drop it in the case. Should slide right in