PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon in the sand??

extremeisaac
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
anyone take their Typhoons in the sand? We are off to pismo this weekend with the new typhoon.. any advice on precaution or things I should do? anyone run paddles on theirs?

190banshee
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I've taken my boys to Pismo a few times in the past couple years. My son Dylan is 8 and rides a mostly stock 125cc typhoon with 18" gecko paddles. He can't go up anything steep but can ride all over in the dunes without too much trouble. My other son Jared is 10 and rides a fully built 146cc Typhoon and can go anywhere I can go with no problems.

The one thing is the bikes will run hot working hard in the sand. I have oil coolers on both bikes and still make them both take breaks often to let the bikes cool down. Other than that stay close to him, there are a lot of idiots out there not paying attention.
Have fun.

extremeisaac
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
thanks for the advice! you should come out this weekend.. the more the merrier

190banshee
04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks, I wish we could go my kids love to ride with other kids. We have a lot of trips planned the next couple months with upcoming races and a Pismo trip in July. Right now my Duramax is in the shop (once again) ':mad:' and if I don't get it back next week we start scratching events off the list.

hanzito
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
i would seriously recomend buying some skat track gliders for the typhoon. they are incredible paddles and lighter. my son has run his stock 125, built 146, stock gpx 160, and nest weekend he will be running his built 177 in the sand. every time we go he has more motor and loves it more and more. The only problem i have had with him inthe sand is him staying out outthe ocean. water is killer.

hanzito
04-17-2009, 08:50 AM
well we are headed down to winnemucca today to ride the sand. i will let you know how the 177 runs with the gliders. i expect good things. last year he had a stock 160 and it did well. now he had the v2 head and a big bore kit.

double d 1
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
we go th the dunes quit abit. we had the stock tires on with the 140 motor in it, it did pretty good. he also has a stock trx 90 and i bought sand tires for it and it did worse, it didnt have enough power for them. kept getting stuck all the time so we dont use them on the 90. i really think some good turf tamers would be great, they float better than a mx tire. just my two cent.

hanzito
04-19-2009, 11:20 PM
holly cow was i impressed with how well the little machine did. it went every where i did in my buggy. although the tiny gas tank is a real pain. since he never shuts the thing off the tank is good for about a hour of run time in the sand. i will put some pics up in a bit.