PDA

View Full Version : Tire wrestling

Lowcountrydave
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
There are a few things I have learned today.

1. I won't ever use that green tire goop stuff again. It works
but isn't worth the clean up.

2. I spent entirely to much time $#$^ with this tire! Maybe an
hour or so.

3. First and last time I will attempt tire replacement.

4. I have a new respect for tires.

I bought some I Razers for the rear. Will they go over the rims easier??????

hotrodbelair
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Stock tires are a PITA to get off, aftermarket tires are easy to put on. you want a tire thats easy to change flattrack tires once I break the bead I can peal them off with my bare hands and slide the other one on with out using a pry-bar. I dont know what it is but stock tires just never seem to come off easy.

Scro
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
Stock tires are a PITA to get off, aftermarket tires are easy to put on. you want a tire thats easy to change flattrack tires once I break the bead I can peal them off with my bare hands and slide the other one on with out using a pry-bar. I dont know what it is but stock tires just never seem to come off easy.

I'm pretty sure they use some kind of glue on the bead to help hold it on. It may have been easier to just take them to a shop and let them take the old ones off for a couple bucks. Putting the new ones on will be a snap as long as you have a couple crowbars/big screwdrivers.

04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
either take it to a shop and give the guy a $10 tip or so. the other option for a DIY is the piece of wood and the truck/car trick. or.. buy some beadlocks haha. I usually just take it to a tire place and they have a machine and what not. They take them off and put them on for free usually just tip them and they will e happy to do it again for you.

Lowcountrydave
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I've managed to damage the rim. Atleast this was a problem rim already. The tire has been going flat rather fast on rides. I guess it was *meant* to be :(

The wall thickness is really thin. It has some dimples now on the inside of the rim. Now I'm in the market for a rim or a set.

I was thinking something simple like factory, but black.

Dave

quad2xtreme
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
man, I made that mistake once...cutting the tire away from the bead on the rim. Actually, I bought a set of rims and had no interest in the tires. I asked the guy to take the tires off and ship the rims. He said he couldn't. I said take a knife and just cut it like you did. What a triple***** of a time I had. I ended up having to carefully use a dremel to cut through the remaining part.

I have a beadbreaker that works really well. As others have said, stock Honda tires are a PITA to break the bead on. I agree they must use some sort of glue. Once you break the factory tires and put them back on, they aren't bad at all to break loose again.

I feel your pain. :(

deathman53
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
it makes it alot easier to change tires if you invest in a bead breaker. I didn't think some years ago that I needed one. I bought one 3 years ago and I use it more than I thought. I do use beadlocks, but the single side beadlocks, need a bead breaker to get that side off. I have 5 sets of single side beadlocks, it has well payed for the $70 it cost.

mittman
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
My stock tires were a pita to get off too. I ended up using a utility knife to cut most of the tire off and just left the side wall on then I got the dremel out and cut the rest of it off.

Lowcountrydave
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I looked online at bead breakers. I should have bought one. I will for the next set of tires. I'm just one of those guys who can normally figure out a suitable way to solve the problem. This would be one of the back fire moments, hehe.

quad2xtreme I appreciate it.

*lesson learned*
Dave

Bradracer18
04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Buy a bead breaker and some tire irons. Changing tires is NOT rocket science, and is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Use lots of soapy water(in a squirt bottle). Just slowly work them on and off.

Ryan
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I think they definitly use some sort of glue... Changing my fronts were hell... The guy at the shop couldn't get them off after an hour of trying.... I toke them home, put a 2x8 up on the tire right near the rim, and drove a Durango onto it. Worked like a charm.

hypersnyper6947
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
run it over with a truck, seriously but a 2x4 on the bead and run it over to break the bead, worked for me,

but.... i still think its to much of a PITA so take it some where