PDA

View Full Version : Back With A Vengeance

ryanh250ex
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
After being mostly AWOL for the past year or so, I'm back.

So for the last 2 years my poor 250 has been sitting in my trailer awaiting a new set of clutch plates (which I have) since I smoked them after drag racing a few 400ex's. Apparently the stock plates dont like being speedshifted.

My bike is getting a little long in the tooth- I bought it in Nov of '02, when I was 13, 5'3 and about 100 lbs. I'm now 21, 5'11, and tipping the scales at about 175. Needless to say, I dont feel quite as comfortable on the 250 as I used to. Not to mention the fun-to-ride factor has been diminished over time , because I've gotten very used to the mods and I've become heavier.

Due to the economy, my hours with my employer will be cut, allowing me to now have this crazy thing called free time , LOL. So I'll have time to wrench for the first time on something other than my Jeep in quite a while.

I still have most of the parts to my turbo project, but I think at this point I am going to tone my goals down a notch and make a quicker all-motor setup that will be easier to tune, and cheaper overall to setup.

So here is the plan:
OEM clutch replacement
Bar risers/400ex steering stem
Ryanh ported intake manifold
XR200 carb , rejetted
Suspension....I think I want to upgrade to +2 a-arms and combine that setup with upper mounts from the widening kit. Once I have those on the bike I'll take measurements and find a shock long enough. Chances are I'll use 400ex shocks.
300ex rear shock?

Any thoughts?

coryatver
04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
fix the clutch and clean it up and sell it and find a 400ex in good shape they go pretty cheap. You will be much happier you are way to big for a 250ex. And modifying it you will still be left wanting more.

hondariderdylan
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
good to see your back and still thinking about the turbo project

ryanh250ex
04-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
fix the clutch and clean it up and sell it and find a 400ex in good shape they go pretty cheap. You will be much happier you are way to big for a 250ex. And modifying it you will still be left wanting more.

Been down that road many times before, I really don't care to buy someone elses bike. I don't race these days, and I don't ride much. Would rather spend money on a bike I know the ins and outs of.

Your advice would normally be very sound but I am actually pretty content with the 250. Just needs some minor tweaks. None of the aforementioned mods will cost me a great deal of money.

RCM
04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
ryanh250ex,

Can you add anything to this thread about the carb swap. I want to do this as well, i am trying to figure out the cable issue.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296802&perpage=13&highlight=xr200%20carb&pagenumber=1

ryanh250ex
04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by RCM
ryanh250ex,

Can you add anything to this thread about the carb swap. I want to do this as well, i am trying to figure out the cable issue.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296802&perpage=13&highlight=xr200%20carb&pagenumber=1

Check your PM's. I have not done the swap, only a test fit of a ATC 200X carb a long long time ago, so I cant really comment one way or another. The motion pro number used in the thread is 02-0472 , it is 15.75 directly from them. It would appear that if you cut the cable down to the length of the 250ex cable, then resolder the end piece back on, you'll be good to go.

250ex_dan
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
so u smoked your clutch plates by shifting too fast.?

ryanh250ex
05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
so u smoked your clutch plates by shifting too fast.?

I don't know how I missed this when it happened, but it turns out the clutch adjustment nut at some point fell off. I got a new nut & washers from a hardware store, adjusted it to Honda specs, and it was fine.

The clutch is a weak point under prolonged hard riding, speed-shifting (not lifting the throttle during shifts) will surely give it a shorter service life.

I have since sold the turbo parts and the 250....I miss riding in a bad way.