PDA

View Full Version : Fox Float Evol X vs. Custom Axis ProAir

ccdhowell
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I've decided air chamber shocks are the wave of the future and I need a pair. They seem to have been on the market long enough to have the bugs worked out. So is anyone able to compare and contrast the Fox Float Evol X and the Custom Axis ProAir? What are the similarities, differences, strenghts, weaknesses relative to each other?

Are there any other players on the air chamber shock market?

ZSNOW
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
pretty much the main difference. your not going to pay as much for fox.

other than that they are both good quality shocks with most of the bugs worked out. my friend has the Axis and i have fox and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in them by riding .

BlaineKaiser450
04-09-2009, 04:59 PM
yeah they are similar but Axis has more of an "oooh" factor

Ty's400
04-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Both companies have great products and the adjustability of the air shocks is great. Fox has been in the market longer and has a lot more research/technology into the air shock, plus I believe they are less expensive as mentioned above.

speednut3
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I dont think the Axis have a Evol chamber like the Fox do, witch helps with bottoming restiance....

ccdhowell
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by speednut3
I dont think the Axis have a Evol chamber like the Fox do, witch helps with bottoming restiance....

I just assumed they had some other mechanism for bottoming resistance. I do know the Fox shocks run allot more air pressure. The Fox shocks run 120 - 150 psi of air and the Custom Axis only run like 30 - 40 psi at least if I've heard properly. I don't have any first-hand experience with the ProAir's.

FHKracingZ
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
the fox's have two air chambers. The main chamber runs between 35-60 for most applications. The main chamber is strictly for ride height, thats all it controls..

The evol chamber is bottoming resistance chamber. It does not effect the travel of the shock until the last 1/2 of the stroke. Most riders run between 150-230 depending on weight/quad..

Funny fact, the factory riders run 280+ in the evol to cancel it out so they have minimal body roll, that seems to be the only problem with the fox's.

racernorris
04-18-2009, 07:52 PM
all the pros shocks i have set up don't run 280 psi in the evols. there are two major things that cause body roll, one is the low speed is set to soft, and second is the rear shock has to much up travel, when entering a corner and applying front brake,this causes the quad to transfer to much weight forward ( the caster travels toward positive and makes the quad darty then it rolls) .you can also add shaft limiters to the front shocks, then you will have to run higher main chamber pressures to get your ride height where you normally run it, and this will help stop body roll.

if you run high evol pressure the shocks beat you up in the rough stuff.

norris

ALAMX37
04-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I have heard several faster riders complain about body roll and having to sacrifice small plushness to cure it. Of the people I know with Axis air, the one complaint I have heard is taking a while to find the sweet spot when tuning them.