PDA

View Full Version : Throttle ?

rider1234
04-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Little guy's thumb is getting sore from the throttle, just wondering if this is common with the APEX 90. His 50 was 10x smoother. What can I do to help him out. Or should I have him start doing a thumb workout.

riding4fun
04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Some say you can cut the spring in the carb a little. Zachary's soreness went away just from riding more.

TeamNeilson
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
First check the cable. If its a new bike, then nothing to worry about, but I found that the cable on my son's bike had very little lube in it and was stiff. I switched out to a brand new cable and lubed it up and that helped. I'm not familiar with the Apex, but if you are running oil injection, then that also makes the pull stiffer.

We then got my son a stress ball and he just squishes that when he watches TV or too and from school on the bus. It has helped dramatically.. especially since we take 5 months off of riding due to snow :)

If he's getting sore, its definitely tough to tell them to work through the soreness and may dampen his performance and spirits

Good luck :)

etondaddy
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
We've cut a ring out of the spring at the carb. before and it will make it better...... Kyle moved up to a 300ex and the first couple of times he rode it at my buddy's little track he had the same problem..... but he raced his first race Sunday and never said a word. The more he rides the better it will get.

Mike Kozura

wvspeedfreak
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Also,rotating the throttle assembly upwards seems to help some riders.It puts the lever at a better angle for smaller hands.

rider1234
04-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Im glad I checked. I took the cover off of the throttle housing and niticed it was vey dry and non-lubed in there. Also the throttle cable was being held by like four strands of wire. (close one). I think a new cable and lube and he'll be good to go.
Do any of you know if a universal cable will fit the apex? Looks like it screws into the housing. Or does anyone have one they want to sell?