PDA

View Full Version : tranny oil coming out of exhaust

MC17X
04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
What do you guys think, I run it for about 30 seconds,,, And
tranny is coming out of pipe were it mounts to the cylinder????
After shutting it down it will still drip for a few mins,,, And when its running it smokes like crazy.. Do you think its a case gasket?
or a crank seal, Not sure where to begin... Any help would be great...

trx250rider
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
lol..i think that its a preety common thing with any 2 stroke to have a drip from the exhaust flange..it not coming from your crank case..buy an after market flange with the orings if it really bothers you

MC17X
04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
No, I mean its really coming out, I changed the tranny oil,
And then started it.. And pours out black oil all over the ground.
When I stut it off, I see fresh tranny oil dripping from the exhaust mount.... I am talking like a cup full, And it smokes like a dam freight train.....

trx250rider
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
then it must be a crack or bad gasket...in the original post you said from the pipe and cylinder meet, not the mount. clean it up and check it out

MC17X
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah i did say that didnt I, Its a esr pipe,
Not leaking around the flange it is leaking straight out of the joint
where the two pipes come together,,, i would think that only after 3mins of running it would be hard for that much oil to go threw a bad crank seal, Well it looks like I will be spliting the cases to check the case gasket.....

Honda 250r 001
04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
the only way it can be tranny oil is if the crank case has a hole in it leading to the tranny. Run it for a while and see if the tranny oil level is lower than it was when you started. If it is. you need to tear down the bottom end.

MC17X
04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Do you think it could be the case gasket??????
thats what I was thinking.....

Honda 250r 001
04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
its possible. but either way. you need to tear it down.

Rich250RRacer
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
the only way it can be tranny oil is if the crank case has a hole in it leading to the tranny. Run it for a while and see if the tranny oil level is lower than it was when you started. If it is. you need to tear down the bottom end.

I could be a crank seal, but I've never heard of one leaking that bad. If it is, it can be changed by just removing the clutch cover, no need to tear into the whole bottom end. Make sure you change the collar the seal rides on too.