PDA

View Full Version : MA quad owners. Need help

shok47
04-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Alright, so I called comm. of Mass Environmental police to ask about titles for ATVs and right off the bat she said ATV's dont need titles. she said you dont need it for registration either. I dont see how that works because you need it to confirm ownership. My dilemma is my quad NEVER got registered at all, there was a lien on it, paid off, and sold to a friend w/out title. MY friend did not register it or anything either. So now I am trying to register it so its under my ownership. how does it work? can i just register it like this with the paper work they ask for?

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm#ATV

Form
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/registration&titlingform.pdf

Jdub400ex
04-05-2009, 06:49 AM
in new hampshire all you need is the vin number (usually on the frame) your drivers ID, and you need to be 18. i believe mass is the same way. they hand write your registration and give you 2 registration stickers. pretty simple.

tman12345
04-05-2009, 08:39 AM
i registered my quad in MA the other day. all you need is a bill of sale, proof of sales tax payment and the proper filled out form.

shok47
04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
so they dont really do a background check on the quad? like the previous owner? probabaly just run the VIN number to see if its stolen im guessing

If they dont then I want to just do the bill of sale through my friend i bought it off because its getting hard to contact the first owner.

tman12345
04-05-2009, 02:07 PM
yeah all you need is the bill of sale from the previous owner not every owner of it.

shok47
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
well my friend never got it registered either, he just did a bill of sale, to technically its still under the first owners name; thats why Im thinking I should do the bill of sale through his name, and sales tax. I dont want to do it through my friends name and if it shows the previous owner in their database as the first owner.

Can I also get a fresh title from them when I register??