PDA

View Full Version : 450 vs. 400

deathcorefan2
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
how much work does it take.

i have a guy near me that has a bone stock 450r and swears that it will take my 400 NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

so what could take it.

im sure it IS possible right?

Wheelie
04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Read my sig. I can pull on Piped/Filtered/Regeared 450's.

powermadd400ex
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
if it is mechanically sound then i wouldnt think twice.
but thats just me.

Gibson
04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
x2 i was keeping up with a stock 450r and sometimes i'd beat him if i got a good take off

04-04-2009, 09:01 PM
all comes down to the rider and who knows the machine better. I've beaten things that should have spanked my internally stock 400ex. I've never been beaten by something that should have lost to me. The closest match i have yet to have was a Z400 with a full exhaust and supossedly that was all. But I think he was playing the don't tell game like I was. All I have done is what you see haha If it was just piped then damn that was one fast Z400, of course he had brand new holeshots on it and i'm on stock tires that every time I stop somone has to say damn you need new tires how do you get any traction with those. That could be the case I spin 1st 2nd and 3rd gear at full throttle. Its neat to see the tracks its all soft and real loose sand with no pattern in a rut then all of a sudden a shift mark and tire tracks from 4th gear.

deathcorefan2
04-05-2009, 11:20 AM
this guy i was talking to was swearing up and down that there was NOTHING i could do to take his bone stock 05,
im like dude, i would bet 2000 on the race if you gave me the time to do a FST 500 stroker or something.

GOD I WANT TO BUILD MY BIKE AND SMOKE HIM SO BAD SO HE WILL EAT HIS WORDS. but i don't have the money.

would a 416 and port and polish with a stage 2 cam and a 450r carb do any good?

250x_kyle
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
stock for stock with the same skilled rider the 450r should win once u start boreing and building your ex you should be able to take his 450r. but as soon as he touches the motor in his 450r hes gunna eat you. i say who cares about top speed and go ride some trails or the track

deathcorefan2
04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
stock for stock with the same skilled rider the 450r should win once u start boreing and building your ex you should be able to take his 450r. but as soon as he touches the motor in his 450r hes gunna eat you. i say who cares about top speed and go ride some trails or the track

he is so cocky though i cannot stand it lol.

pipeddreams
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
if you want to beat him put a turbo on. i know that will beat him and make your 400 run.

jcs003
04-05-2009, 04:14 PM
with two even riders a 450 wins everytime unless you put alot of money in your motor and suspension. but on the plus side you put the money in your 400ex and beat the hell out of it and it will still run. while a 450 is always needing work done.

i heard the FST 500ex is a reliable motor with BIG torque.

250x_kyle
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
with two even riders a 450 wins everytime unless you put alot of money in your motor and suspension. but on the plus side you put the money in your 400ex and beat the hell out of it and it will still run. while a 450 is always needing work done.

i heard the FST 500ex is a reliable motor with BIG torque.

I have to dissagree with you there. i beat the balls off my old 400 and it was a great quad dont get me wrong. i miss the thing for in the woods because my 450r is 50inches wide. my 04 is on its original motor and ive ran it harder then i ran that 400. if you maintain your motor as far as valve checks, oil changes, trany oil changes, and changeing oil filters every other oil change and cleaning air filters they are really pritty even. most of the people who have their 450r torn down every few months are the people who dont check or change oil and just run them wide oppen everywhere. my buddys has an 05 thats on its 4th motor and third bottom end. he also blew his 400ex up twice.

in the end does speed realy matter. if hes cocky tell him to meet you on a trail or on the track where it takes more then perfect shifting to win.

deathcorefan2
04-05-2009, 07:47 PM
soooo. any answers...what if i did this

- 416 11:1
- Port and Polish
- Good Exhaust
- 450R carb
- stage 2 cam

any chance or would i need to go bigger like 440 or 500 stroker

what does a +4mm crank do?

ngates788
04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
i have a 460 stroker and ill beat my buddies stock yfz by a few lengths every time ive even beat my cousins stroked 450r but thats racing flat track and not a drag, its a big difference but just implying most depends on the rider and skill level

also depends on how much money your willing to toss into the project. personally your better off with the 416 over the 440, i constantly blew head gaskets before i got my stroker as for competing with a 450r, like i said motor mods will help but a big part of it is rider skill

Newrider08
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I would say if you did that you would take a 450r with a pipe and filter, however it ALWAYS comes back to the riders abilities, the fastest quad in the world can have a crappy run if the rider doesnt have the ability to run it.

The world is full of cocky people and spending all of your money and having the fastest quad in town will only open you up to meeting more cocky people, the faster your quad is the more someone else will spend to beat you and it is a never ending cycle my friend.

If showing this guy up is something you really want to do, do a 416 or bigger kit, make sure your jetting is PERFECT, get a good air filter and maintain the bike perfect until it is broken in, practice where you are going to race and get some good runs in

THEN BEAT THE PANTS OFF THIS JERK AND SHOW HIM WHY WE RIDE 400EX'S

LMAO sorry had to add the last part

deathcorefan2
04-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Newrider08
I would say if you did that you would take a 450r with a pipe and filter, however it ALWAYS comes back to the riders abilities, the fastest quad in the world can have a crappy run if the rider doesnt have the ability to run it.

The world is full of cocky people and spending all of your money and having the fastest quad in town will only open you up to meeting more cocky people, the faster your quad is the more someone else will spend to beat you and it is a never ending cycle my friend.

If showing this guy up is something you really want to do, do a 416 or bigger kit, make sure your jetting is PERFECT, get a good air filter and maintain the bike perfect until it is broken in, practice where you are going to race and get some good runs in

THEN BEAT THE PANTS OFF THIS JERK AND SHOW HIM WHY WE RIDE 400EX'S

LMAO sorry had to add the last part

thanks man.

if i do all that stuff like i plan i hope to beat him....so he will SHUT UP

Newrider08
04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
well ok man, wear your helmet, practice, and BE CAREFUL