PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard of this?

mxer346
04-04-2009, 05:43 PM
My buddy is putting my motor together it has a stock bore with a wiesco pistion and +4mm stroker crank. He says that i need to adjust the timing with a timing gun. I say there is no way this is possible. I said there are marks to set the timing with on the fly wheel and cam sprocket.

rodeo#11
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
ive never heard of anyone using a timing gun, but yes your right there are marks on the flywheel just take out the plugs on the left side of the motor and you will see them.

mxer346
04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
any one else i have tried showing he them but still doesn't belive me

bigredisb
04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
A timing gun is used to set a adjustable timing system or distributer. If the 400ex timing was adjustable then why would Curtis Sparks build a 6 degree offset key? Our system is fixed by a key. Even if you want to use a timing light you need access to a rotating crank pulley/flywheel that has reference points to where you are for the timing. The only marks we have are the TDC mark on the flywheel. This guy is wasting your time. Tell him to read a clymer manual. I dont see anything on a timing light in mine.

The next thing he is going to need is the firing order! :D

Sanddraging28
04-05-2009, 07:48 PM
your friend is an idiot!!!!!
sorry to be so blunt about it but its true.
i would be real afraid of letting him put a motor together!!!!!
i would let him near any of my motors with a wrench,the more i think about it i wouldn't even let him hear a wrench!!!!
sounds like you should be the one working on the motor.

i have built a lot of motors and many of them have been strokers and i have never had to "set the timing"
thanks for the laugh....i needed it

mxer346
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you Sanddraging28 I totally agree!
But in his defense he did hook me up with Bud Ficsher.