PDA

View Full Version : stroker builders

togup
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Im putting my 440 back together and the piston is sticking out the top 1 mm. I have a hot rods stroker crank,CP stroker 440 piston and the head is decked .003 and Im using stock base gasket , does anyone know anything about some kind of thicker gasket or have i done something incorrect?

F-16Guy
04-04-2009, 12:42 PM
All I can think is that the CP piston isn't compatable with the Hot Rods stroker crank as far as wristpin location is concerned. Is the CP piston's wristpin relocated compared to the stock piston? The Hot Rods crank specs say it requires the use of the Hot Rods stroker piston kit. You may want to call and find out how far down the wristpin is on the Hot Rods piston and compare it to your CP. If they're not the same, you could either exchange the CP with the other piston, or call Cometic and see if they could make you a set of gaskets to bring the deck height back to where you want it (I think about 0.040" including compressed head gasket thickness, if I remember correctly). You'd need a base gasket thick enough to get you back to at least zero deck height, and then a head gasket to make up the rest. Search for a thread called "Have you decked the cylinder?", it has a ton of info on engine set-up, and may have some stuff on strokers.

togup
04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
All I can think is that the CP piston isn't compatable with the Hot Rods stroker crank as far as wristpin location is concerned. Is the CP piston's wristpin relocated compared to the stock piston? The Hot Rods crank specs say it requires the use of the Hot Rods stroker piston kit. You may want to call and find out how far down the wristpin is on the Hot Rods piston and compare it to your CP. If they're not the same, you could either exchange the CP with the other piston, or call Cometic and see if they could make you a set of gaskets to bring the deck height back to where you want it (I think about 0.040" including compressed head gasket thickness, if I remember correctly). You'd need a base gasket thick enough to get you back to at least zero deck height, and then a head gasket to make up the rest. Search for a thread called "Have you decked the cylinder?", it has a ton of info on engine set-up, and may have some stuff on strokers.

Good call I didnt think about compatibility Ill do a little research tonite and see what I can come up with, thanks

78ta
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
did you buy a 440 stroker piston from powroll??

togup
04-05-2009, 07:07 AM
I went to hot rods site and it said they used CP pistons so I did a search for CP stroker pistons and found one cheaper than I could get it from hot rods

78ta
04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
what size bore are you using? the piston that hotrods tells you to use with their +4mm crank is a 89mm piston making this combo 460cc.

there is many other combo's to get different cc's....different stroker crank companies use different length rods too, so you prob don't have the correct pin height piston....just because it was for a stroker crank doesn't mean it will work with any stroker crank.

I give you an example...hotrods +4mm stroker crank uses a stock length rod so you need to use a modified piston with the wrist pin moved up 2mm to work without any kind of spacer plate under the cylinder.

Powroll sells a +4mm stroker crank but theey use a shorter -2mm rod so that you can use any stock replacement type piston that only has to be modified to clear the crank weights, but the wrist pin height can remain stock because of the -2mm rod.

there are other combos too, so you need to make sure you have the right piston for the right crank!

other than the hotrods special 89mm piston the only place that I have found to have in stock pistons for the hotrods +4mm crank that has the wrist pin height moved up 2mm is through powroll, but it is 87mm to make the popular 440cc stroker.

78ta
04-05-2009, 09:22 PM
do you have a link to the piston you bought?

Sanddraging28
04-05-2009, 09:38 PM
you have to use the hotrods stroker piston with the hotrods stroker crank. i dont know of any other piston that will work.
if you are wanting to use the CP piston, get a hold of crank works. they can build you the right stroker crank for it. i get all my cranks from there..

ngates788
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
im running a wiseco stroker piston with my +4 hotrod stroker crank and so far i have not had anyproblems with the combo