PDA

View Full Version : Real Typhoon?

ewathen
04-04-2009, 06:34 AM
I have some questions about these quads. Is this an extreme typhoon?

http://auto-rv.com/Browse.aspx?AdName=11-830198

If not, is the one shown a good copy?

Have they made any updates to the extremes since they first came out? the only things I can find on the web all reference 2007 models.

Do they have 2009 models?

How much does a real Extreme cost? where can you get one from?

Thanks for all of your help ahead of time!

Eric

ewathen
04-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I think it might be a Roketa? How is there reliability?

Thanks!

lem dad
04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
no that is not a xtream typhoon go to there web site for a list of dealers and yes they had 09 typhoon at Indy dealer show you will be much happer with real xtream than the copys

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03 Xtream Typhoon
EVS
X Tream Clean Products

Ride1Rob
04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
It's funny how the title says "Typhoon".

ewathen
04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Is this the real deal? Is it a good price? $1700.00 delivered off of ebay.

[http://www.arizonaatvs.com/files/typhoons.html

Thanks!

Eric

nordic quad
04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ewathen
Is this the real deal? Is it a good price? $1700.00 delivered off of ebay.

[http://www.arizonaatvs.com/files/typhoons.html

Thanks!

Eric

FYM Typhoon is the real deal,outside the US they have always been sold as FYM Typhoon but they are manual shift in Europe,When sold as Xtreme they where about 2500 new ?

lem dad
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
It is not an Xtream FYM motors are on typhoons this is about as close to a real Xtream as you will get

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03 Xtream Typhoon
EVS
X Tream Clean

nordic quad
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by lem dad
It is not an Xtream FYM motors are on typhoons this is about as close to a real Xtream as you will get

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03 Xtream Typhoon
EVS
X Tream Clean

But did not FYM buy the Xtreme company,and doesent the last Xtremes say FYM on the engine cover?

lem dad
04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes the motors say FYM they make the motors but the xtream motor company is not FYM
\
Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03 Xtream Typhoon
EVS
X Tream Clean

nordic quad
04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by lem dad
Yes the motors say FYM they make the motors but the xtream motor company is not FYM
\
Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03 Xtream Typhoon
EVS
X Tream Clean

I think i know what you mean my sons Apex has not seen the inside of the US either but the basic components come from the same production line,only its sold as Pro shark MX up here,and even the old 2stroke Xtreme was sold as Unilli cx 100.

nordic quad
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry we got a little of topic there,IMO the Fym Typhoon is just as good as the one labeled Xtreme.

Ride1Rob
04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
They are both the same bikes. FYM is an Xtreme. The only difference between them is the outter covers. One says Xtreme and one says FYM. All the internals are the same.

ewathen
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Guys! I am still torn between getting this for my son or a DRR 70. What reason can you give to to go with the extreme?

I am already liking the fact that there is no CVT to tune and if I need more power, I can by an entire crate motor for what a port job would cost on the Drr.

Eric

drxracing
04-07-2009, 01:51 AM
NOT to stir anything up but i think you would be a lot happier with a drr they stand behind their product and a port job is not all
$$$$ we have both extreme and (2) drrs and like the 2 strokers better

Ride1Rob
04-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ewathen
Thanks Guys! I am still torn between getting this for my son or a DRR 70. What reason can you give to to go with the extreme?

I am already liking the fact that there is no CVT to tune and if I need more power, I can by an entire crate motor for what a port job would cost on the Drr.

Eric

That's exactly what I did! Here's Jam on his Typhoon with his new manual shift motor. The white bike is a 12yr old on a National built DRR (Jam just turned 8 on the 20th of last month). Jam pulled him on the holeshot by a tire in the last moto of the nite and we are doing 2nd gear starts off the line. Of all the bikes Jam is the only thumper in the group and of the first five bike all are built over or around 100cc's. This motor was built at home in the garage (portwork, valve job, etc...)

2nd (Orange) bike from the camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIuoW62IKIE

Pros vs. Cons to getting an Xtreme for us.

Pro- Jam will ride this bike for another 3-4 yrs. (Riding it now for 1yr. 7mos.)
Pro- He understands the concept of upshifting/downshifting at an early age.
Pro- Once built, AWESOME power!!!
Pro- Motor is still not maxxed out and we can ride trails or track for hours.
Pro- Bike is setup nicely stock.
Pro- Low purchase price compared to any other performance quad.
Pro- After market Long travel suspension from DRR, Apex, TRX90, and standard length suspension from 250ex/300ex all mount right up.

Con- Suspension needs reworked.
Con- Heelguards aren't the best (But have worked for us).
Con- Stock motor has crank issues.
Con- Bike needs minor tweeking once purchased (For MX).

A brand new DRR90 is $2600+.

You purchase a new 90cc Typhoon for $1400/$1500 and swap the motor with a manual shift for around $350, Add a VM26 carb for $90, better filter for $20, add a Big valve head for $90, Race cam for $80, let someone touch up the head for around $100-$150. You almost have the same bike that my son is riding minus the Elkas. I got all three of those for another $400. Add them up and tell me what looks like a better deal ;) .

drxracing
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
LOL Eric check out the drr froum on this site and do some research on them now I seen 2 strokes that are built over or around 100 cc and don't look like that are you sure they are not 70cc ?? Ride1Rob i have no doubt that your typhoon is quick but we had bad exprince with are typhoon not mention warranty issues here
is a vid of one of our drrs just riding around. O-YEA the only thing
i dislike ishttp://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/coco79/th_Video_030609_005.jpg (http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/coco79/?action=view&current=Video_030609_005.flv) haveing to premix

Ride1Rob
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
The bike to my sons right is a 70cc. Look at the 1st 5 bikes that round the corner before all the others in the vid. Those are the bikes that I was talking about. Don't get me wrong, DRR and Apex make a very nice product. I was told that the white DRR that grabbed the holeshot in the vid has a 118kit in it. I can say that it is hands down faster than the other DRR's in the race. But it breaks something every other race as well. After this particular start the bike broke down on the 2nd lap. They got it back up and running during the break and the kid won the 2nd moto. In that moto Jam missed a gear coming off the gate and then flipped on a tight corner on the 2nd lap. In the 3rd moto Jam pulled the holeshot but got passed by him in the rhythm section. I'm not in any way bashing DRR and I was considering putting Jam on one. The bike that you have in the vid above is running very well. But put the same #'s that I did up with the cost of the bike, motor mods, etc... and add the total price you have in it to what I have listed.

As for parts, I haven't ordered ONE thing from Xtreme. The clutches in it are from a TRX90. The motor, exhaust, clutch cable, throttle cable, rev box, carb, sprockets, etc... are all from a Pitbike dealer. The filter and outterwear came straight from K&N. They sale everything you need for this bike on ebay if you want to go that route as well.

hanzito
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
i too went the xtreme route. I had my son Zackary on a modified lt80. The lt80 was great for flat track but horrible for motocross and aggresive rough trail ridding. Now my son started on a stock typhoon 125. That motor made it about 6 months thorugh the summer. The stock shocks are ok for any one who dosent like to jump. My son loves to. My sons was geting beat by the two strokes off the line in flat track. So i switched out his auto clutch 125 for a manual clutch 125. Then i ported the head. and put on a 146 kit. now at that point he could hang with the built two strokes but they would pull him out of the turns and he couldnt catch them till the end of the straight away. So it was tiem fo rmore motor.

Now keep in mind my son is racing against built 110cc stroker two strokes and and fully built 90cc drr and some othere typhoon and ssr version bikes. So we took the built 146 motor out and put my built pit bike engine in it. It is now a gpx 160 with 177 BBK, v2 roller rocker head, cam, and the stock pitster pro x4r bikg bore exhaust. and he also has elkas and and modified swing arm. Now the two strokes dont even stand a chance. I have had to gear his bike up three different times. and hopefullty he will grow enough this year that i can put him on a yfz450 with a crf250 motor in it for next flat track season.

My son turns 11 next month. he has beeen on his typhoon since his 9th birthday.

With his motor now he can run with the 300ex class. they get him in top speed but he gets them off the line.

prices:

typhoon 1800
elkas/swingarm 1100

first motor
gpx 125 400
146 bbk 189
vm26/ intake 200
gpx pipe 100
filter 20
porting(ahp) 95
kitaco cdi 75
super coil 50

second motor
gpx yx160 600
177bbk 199
vm26/klx intake 250
gpx big bore pipe 100
filter 20
kitaco cdi 75
super coil 50

hope this helps

hanzito
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
as much as i like the typhoon another great choice for the money is the pitsterpro 150 atv.

ewathen
04-09-2009, 09:53 PM
90 vs 125?

I actually found a local dealer and they have a 90 in stock. How big is the performance difference between the two. Is it worth another couple of hundred $ for the 125, or am i better off going with the 90 and saving the money for a new engine when the boy is ready for it. Is the 90 going to have more power and speed than my sons Eton 50 2 stoke?

Thanks!

Eric

lem dad
04-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I would go with the 90 it will give you room to build we have had little trouble with with Dylan,s his started life as a 70 and is now a pumped up 90 also if you race AMA rules 125 cc 4 stroke
this gives more room to build up the 90 letus know if we can help

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03
EVS
X Tream Clean