PDA

View Full Version : Psoriasis?

ZeroLogic
04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Well I've had this crap on my hands for a year or two now but its getting worse and worse. I'm not sure what it is or anything but let me describe it. On my hands and fingers I would get these little blisters that would ich like a mofo then a fluid would leak out. After a day or so it starts to dry up real bad then crack so bad that I cannot bend my fingers. The skin flakes off and then it goes right back to the blisters. Now its starting to spread up on my elbows. I've been using all kinds of creams and lotions but it won't ever go away. My father thinks its psoriasis? I cannot afford to go to the doc right now so I'm lookin for some suggestions on what to do or how to make it less severe. Here are some pictures.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/HPIM0629.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/HPIM0628.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/HPIM0627.jpg

I've webMD it and did what they suggested and it has not worked. Please no wise *** remarks.
Thanks guys.

Pipeless416
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
have you tried cortizone-10? i actually have a small patch of the same looking thing on my elbow and that stuff works great.

powermadd400ex
04-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
have you tried cortizone-10? i actually have a small patch of the same looking thing on my elbow and that stuff works great.

i had the exact same situation exept it was on my knee caps as well. my mom picked me up some of that stuff and my skin went back to normal.

Giz400ex
04-04-2009, 04:38 AM
You need to see a doc and they might give you some steriod cream. that stuff will clear it up in 2-3 days.

cglester
04-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Sure looks like psoriasis to me. My dad has that stuff all over, tried everything you could think of, and nothing helped. He went to a veterans hospitol in Richmond, VA, and the doctor there gives him a shot about every 6 months and it has just about cleared his all up. I would seriously consider seeing a doc, cause his started out as a spot about as big as a dime on his calf and kept spreading til it covered about 60-70% of his entire body. I see your in PA., so a drive to VA. wouldnt be too bad. I say this because all the doctors around here wouldnt give him anything except pills, and steroid cream, Lubriderm etc. Good luck with that stuff.

cglester
Sure looks like psoriasis to me. My dad has that stuff all over, tried everything you could think of, and nothing helped. He went to a veterans hospitol in Richmond, VA, and the doctor there gives him a shot about every 6 months and it has just about cleared his all up. I would seriously consider seeing a doc, cause his started out as a spot about as big as a dime on his calf and kept spreading til it covered about 60-70% of his entire body. I see your in PA., so a drive to VA. wouldnt be too bad. I say this because all the doctors around here wouldnt give him anything except pills, and steroid cream, Lubriderm etc. Good luck with that stuff.

cglester

cglester

<DRS>GPF
04-04-2009, 06:46 AM
there appears to be an echo in here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clobetasol_propionate is what my wife uses.. i believe its prescription, but admittedly, when she uses it regularly, it works..

doesnt seem to go away though.:ermm:

Quad18star
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I've got it too . It started on my hands and has now spread to both my arms and elbows and it's itchy as a mofo. I've tried cortozone cream, but that only clears it up for about 3 days, then it comes back. I've tried all sorts of over-the-counter crap and nothing. So I've resulted to using Vaseline and guess what ... it's actually works. I apply it 3 times a day and it takes the itching away and has started to clear it up ( been using it for about 4 days now).

300ex_#387
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Just because she says she is $25 cheaper than the one down the street doesn't mean your getting a better deal.

Haha but yeah I have it too. I just use medicated lotion a lot......

Quad18star
04-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Haha but yeah I have it too. I just use medicated lotion a lot......

Just be careful if you're using a cortizone based cream ... using it too much can cause you a lot of harm , since the cortizone can get into your bloodstream.

300ex_#387
04-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Just be careful if you're using a cortizone based cream ... using it too much can cause you a lot of harm , since the cortizone can get into your bloodstream.

I will look into it. So does that mean it can get into my blood stream......anywhere....on my body? :eek:

Quad18star
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I will look into it. So does that mean it can get into my blood stream......anywhere....on my body? :eek:

Yes.

300ex_#387
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes.

Vasoline will be my new friend then.

Tommy Warren
04-04-2009, 11:36 AM
yup I have it too. you have to look after it because it does spread it starts on the hands and elbows and behind the ears. after a while it will go to you legs and let it go it might even get on your junk:eek2: . best thing to do is put lots of cream on it (i use psoriasin gel, it has some kind of coal oil or something that works good. but my doc says best thing for it is sunlight. the vitamin....E I think is the best thing for it. but get used to it there is no permanent solution of cure yet.

mat1977
04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I have a friend with it and his doctor has him go to tanning booths.IDK why but it works really well

reptikes
04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by mat1977
I have a friend with it and his doctor has him go to tanning booths.IDK why but it works really well

YES... tanning beds are proven to work wonders with Psoriasis.

reptikes
04-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Vasoline will be my new friend then.

WHY LIE, VASOLINE WAS ALREADY YOUR BEST FRIEND:devil: .

04-04-2009, 04:54 PM
so is this something your born with and it isnt completely curable?

SRH
04-04-2009, 11:33 PM
hmm i get this on my fingers and feet sometimes....but if i ignore it it goes away or never becomes a issue but if i aggravate it it will get worse, and then eventually goes away...maybe 2 -3 times a year i get this ....doesnt seem to spread anywhere else knock on wood , it almost seems like the more inactive i am the more i notice it... but if im working or something rarely do i get it... i dont use creams, i just wash my hands alot and leave it alone and it goes away , i also kinda feel like if i was wearing gloves alot or riding boots it made it worse, my feet are completely free of it now that im not racing or working construction, it kinda only shows up with me if that area is aggravated.....and i thought i was the only one

F-16Guy
04-05-2009, 10:43 AM
ZeroLogic -- It sounds and looks exactly like what I have; eczema. You may want to try a different brand of glove. I have mild eczema on my hands pretty much all the time, but I had a couple severe outbreaks and figured out that I was allergic to Neoprene and it was aggrivating the eczema. I still get outbreaks once in a while, but it's generally pretty controllable. Corticosteroid creams are pretty effective, but there are some side effects with prolonged use, so the best thing is to prevent the outbreak in the first place. Try dye and perfume free soaps and laundry detergent, wash your hands in cold or lukewarm water so you don't strip off the natural oils, and keep your hands moisturized (which is why the Vaseline helped). So far, the best lotion I've found for moisturizing is Aveno (or the generic store-brand equivalent, which is much cheaper). If you do use a steroid cream, make sure you use lotion with it, because it has a tendancy to dry the skin and could cause cracking. Excessive hand washing, especially with hot water, is the worst thing you can do during an outbreak. When it gets really bad, try coating your hands with Vaseline, wrapping them, and leaving it on overnight.

jcv400ex
04-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
ZeroLogic -- It sounds and looks exactly like what I have; eczema. You may want to try a different brand of glove. I have mild eczema on my hands pretty much all the time, but I had a couple severe outbreaks and figured out that I was allergic to Neoprene and it was aggrivating the eczema. I still get outbreaks once in a while, but it's generally pretty controllable. Corticosteroid creams are pretty effective, but there are some side effects with prolonged use, so the best thing is to prevent the outbreak in the first place. Try dye and perfume free soaps and laundry detergent, wash your hands in cold or lukewarm water so you don't strip off the natural oils, and keep your hands moisturized (which is why the Vaseline helped). So far, the best lotion I've found for moisturizing is Aveno (or the generic store-brand equivalent, which is much cheaper). If you do use a steroid cream, make sure you use lotion with it, because it has a tendancy to dry the skin and could cause cracking. Excessive hand washing, especially with hot water, is the worst thing you can do during an outbreak. When it gets really bad, try coating your hands with Vaseline, wrapping them, and leaving it on overnight.

That's what i was thinking too, I get the same exact thing.

bigd's ex
04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy

F-16Guy, I totally agree. I've lived with this crap all of my life. I only get it on one finger now, but it is still annoying. I'm a pipefitter and weld most of the time. The leather from the welding gloves seems to set it off, so I wear a cotton glove liner underneath them and that helps greatly. I think that would help if you are wearing gloves at work or even your riding gloves. " I FEEL YOUR PAIN BROTHER "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

300ex_#387
04-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I think your psoriasis is sexy.......

QuadJunkies
04-05-2009, 02:29 PM
That is eczema more than likely liek the guys already mentioned. I have had that since I was a kid .
MY brother had it also and he had it REALLY bad. He had it so bad that he was basically allergic to water!When he would bath or swim he would get very bad rash that would look like burns. He even had to use a water free soap!

People who are fair skinned and/or have asthma or alot of allergies tend to have forms of psoriasis and/or eczema.
Ezcema can be treated ,but there is no cure.The oozing and flaking(that sounded gross. LOL) are sure signs that what you have it.
Winter months are the worst time for it . Stress will also make it worse,water or constant moisture again is a nasty cultprit.
I get it on my legs and have had only perscription strength creams sooth the itch and rash. I even have a perscribed lotion to help keep the skin in between break outs. ITs horrbile stuff, I sometimes itch so bad it makes me sick to my stomach and they will bleed because I itch them in my sleep ..:(
Some creams you do have to be careful with ,if taken too much it can be harmful and break down the dermis layers of your skin, but that is on some of the stronger stuff -that kind I use at betime as needed only and havent had to use it in a long time .
Sometimes it can apprear in a circle and look abit like ringworm.

Kelsey ended up getting is as well.
Oh... it is also tends to be inherited and there is no cure.

ZeroLogic
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow thanks for all the responses! I gotta try out what you guys suggested. This winter it got real bad and spread from just two fingers to both hands. Damn near covered them. I'm probably going to have to dish out the cash to see a doc if I can't get anything to work. Its startin to spread up my arms now also.:ermm:

Quad18star
04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Wow thanks for all the responses! I gotta try out what you guys suggested. This winter it got real bad and spread from just two fingers to both hands. Damn near covered them. I'm probably going to have to dish out the cash to see a doc if I can't get anything to work. Its startin to spread up my arms now also.:ermm:

Before you dish out the coin ... try the Vaseline. Trust me , I've tried damn near everything from over-the-counter to prescription stuff and the Vaseline has cleared up 90% of it in a little over a week of use. Like I said , I apply it about 3 times a day and it's worked great.

If you're like me , after I get out of the shower and dry off, my skin get's very dry . So now before my skin has a chance to dry out I apply the Vaseline and it makes a HUGE difference.

F-16Guy
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Before you dish out the coin ... try the Vaseline. Trust me , I've tried damn near everything from over-the-counter to prescription stuff and the Vaseline has cleared up 90% of it in a little over a week of use. Like I said , I apply it about 3 times a day and it's worked great.

If you're like me , after I get out of the shower and dry off, my skin get's very dry . So now before my skin has a chance to dry out I apply the Vaseline and it makes a HUGE difference.
Yeah, I agree. Even if you go to the doctor, there's nothing they can do but try to control the symptoms. I've had eveything from creams, to ointments, to the steroid shot, and I've found that the best thing is to find out what aggrivates it and eliminate those things, and to keep your skin moisturized. Applying lotion right after a shower is critical because the skin is moist and soft, and absorbs the lotion better. After hand washing is important, too. Water is a solvent, and along with soap, will remove the natural oils that keep your skin soft and hydrated.

QuadJunkies
04-06-2009, 11:22 AM
What about Bag Balm? I know a few guys who wear it to bed a few times in the winter to clear up dry hands. They would wear gloevs to bed and said it works very well.

bigd's ex
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Bag Balm works well, but does'nt smell very good.

ZeroLogic
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Well I want to the Docs today. It is psoriasis. Wrote me a prescription for cream and went to the drug store for it. 300 dollars for a bottle of cream.
Havin no health insurance gets expensive quick. I have asmtha, I have to go to the foot doc every two weeks cause i have plannars warts so thats 60 dollars a visit, the psoriasis ordeal, and to top it all off the nurse said I was borderling high blood preassure.

I have a small tube of cream from the doc a while ago and seems to work good but its just about all out. I tried the Vaseline but it don't work all to well.