PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the tank

matt14c
04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I want to clean my gas tank out but not sure with what or anything. I dumped it out through the cap and there was some debris that came out with it. So I figured that I would clean out with water and mild detergent or dish soap and rinse out really well then let dry out completely. Is this a good idea? Not sure what has gone through or what is sitting in the tank if much more of anything. Getting new carb and motor so would like a new or like new tank and not crap getting into right off the bat.

Pipeless416
04-03-2009, 09:30 PM
make sure you take off the petcock assembly and blow it out with carb cleaner or compressed air. if you do use water, make sure it is completely dry before using it.

NacsMXer
04-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
make sure you take off the petcock assembly and blow it out with carb cleaner or compressed air. if you do use water, make sure it is completely dry before using it.

X2...and when you take the petcock off, you will notice there is a tube-shaped filter screen on the pickup tube for the petcock. Take that off and clean it real well with carb cleaner/compressed air as well.

I would put a little gas in the tank (although gas isn't cheap these days lol), shake it up and rinse it out that way. This way you won't have to worry about getting water in the gas, or letting the tank dry out. That's what I did when I cleaned my tank and petcock out.

matt14c
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Well it will be a couple months before im riding again so I would think that it should be dried out enough by then. Thats why im wanting to do this now rather than the day before i put the last piece together and want to go riding.

DirtMonkey
04-04-2009, 04:41 AM
And just to be safe grab some sea foam gas treatment when you fill it up it will stabalize dang near anything

Stoke88
04-04-2009, 07:17 AM
I did the same thing. All I did was take the petcock off, drain the gas out and watch all the crap flow out, clean the filter, put some new gas in there, shake it around and empty. Put the petcock back on and filler up. That worked for me.

honda400ex2003
04-04-2009, 11:18 PM
or shoot some brake parts cleaner in it maybe but a can of that is more than gas.:eek2: it would evap good too. shoot it through the petcock and out with it flipped over. otherwise what is said above would work great. steve