PDA

View Full Version : So, I made some changes...

Outlaw212
04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
I just put the JD jet kit on my '08 Outlaw 525 IRS and wow what a difference. I realized I had a real beast on my hands when I stood it up almost vertical in second gear!! :huh That surprised me to say the least. 165 main jet, blue needle 3rd clip, big O ring, screw 1 1/4 turn out. I am very pleased.

I also made a few changes to the suspension. After my last race I was very frustrated because I could not turn in the slick mud. No grip. I loosened the front preload (from stock) by about an inch and a half and I tightened the rear preload by about the same. This has really changed the handling, I think for the better. It handles more like a SRA but is still forgiving like an IRS. I can slide it around turns and drive more with my legs like I would on an SRA. The front end now starts to dive into the corner and seems to maintain grip a lot better. (when I can keep it on the ground!! :D :D :D) It should also be noted that I weigh about 250 so your experience may differ.

I am pretty happy at this point but what do you guys think? What are your setups? How does yours handle?

525 Outlaw Dude
04-04-2009, 12:55 AM
did the same, it lands a little soft for me in the front though when i jump 5'11 165lbs

TYLER329
04-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Chromoly rear swaybar!!!!! I hate to preach it on here all of the time but it really lets the rear drift out of the corners. I have also moved the battery down in the chassis right in front of the motor like the 09 IRS. I have Evols on the front and Podium X DSC in the back and have replaced the rear tires with regular RAZR's unless it is a muddy mess and then I use RAZR2's. The last thing I did was have C&D racing cut down the rear shocks about 7/8 and that also seemed to help. No one thing is the magic wand but all of them together really makes a "better" handling quad (if you race). If you don't race I wouldn't do anything but upgrading the shocks to your body weight for comfort. My 2 cents.

ojcool
04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw212
I just put the JD jet kit on my '08 Outlaw 525 IRS and wow what a difference. I realized I had a real beast on my hands when I stood it up almost vertical in second gear!! :huh That surprised me to say the least. 165 main jet, blue needle 3rd clip, big O ring, screw 1 1/4 turn out. I am very pleased.

I also made a few changes to the suspension. After my last race I was very frustrated because I could not turn in the slick mud. No grip. I loosened the front preload (from stock) by about an inch and a half and I tightened the rear preload by about the same. This has really changed the handling, I think for the better. It handles more like a SRA but is still forgiving like an IRS. I can slide it around turns and drive more with my legs like I would on an SRA. The front end now starts to dive into the corner and seems to maintain grip a lot better. (when I can keep it on the ground!! :D :D :D) It should also be noted that I weigh about 250 so your experience may differ.

I am pretty happy at this point but what do you guys think? What are your setups? How does yours handle?

Hmm, blue needle huh? What elevation, what temps are you riding in? What exhaust and other mods?

Outlaw212
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
The Atlanta area is between 700 and 1100 feet above sea level. We have a large temperature range (sometimes 40+ degree changes in a day) and it tends to be very humid. I do not have a dyno so my testing was very subjective. It just felt a lot better with the blue needle in. The motor and exhaust are all stock for now. (CT later) Riding in the tight woods of Georgia, we rarely get to run wide open, so the mid range response the blue needle gave me seemed to serve my needs best.

I just bought some Powermadd hand guards, Fasst Flexx bars and a Precision Racing stabilizer so I am pretty excited about the new upgrades. ARM PUMP BE GONE!!

I have a 6 hour race coming up that I am running ironman, so we will see how everything goes...