PDA

View Full Version : bearing press tool

buster024
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Any good ideas on aftermarket type bearing press tools? Or should I just order the Honda factory model? I'm struggling getting out the rear carrier bearings, and a hammer and flathead screwdriver don't seem to be the best tools for the job. I refuse to pay the local shop $90/hour if I could buy a tool and do it myself every season.

78ta
04-03-2009, 11:33 PM
screwdriver prob ain't gonna cut it. I have replaced a bunch of carrier bearings with only a BFH and a nice long punch. I grind the end at a slight angle to help in getting in behind the bearing.

the punch needs to be at least 1/2" diameter and long enough to stick out of the carrier @ 6" so you can get a good wack on it.

work your way from one side of the bearing to the opposite side you just hit to keep the bearing from getting bound up in the bore sideways. You may have to hit it pretty hard to get it started. if you can't get them to move you can try heating up the outside of the carrier a bit, but be very careful and don't get it very hot, just enough for a drop of water to sizzle

when installing new bearings, throw them in the freezer for a couple hours. then use a piece of pipe, bearing driver, or a large socket that is just slightly smaller than the OD of the bearing...never beat on the ID of the bearing....or you will ruin your brand new bearings.

ae13291
04-04-2009, 10:36 PM
i made my own tool, if u were near by i could have pressed it out for you

dariusld
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I jacked up my truck and used that as a press:huh