PDA

View Full Version : any new kids quads?

Chillinthemost
04-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Is it safe to say that there will never be a factory hi-performance kids quad or at least a decent base to build on?
My 8 yr. old could really use a new machine and I have a hard time looking at even the DRR or Apexs when A Raptor 250 is about the same money and much higher quality.
My 8yr. old is 4' 8" and 90 lbs. so he looks a little funny on his Kasea 90, which by the way has been a pretty good machine.
I wish Honda would at least put disc brakes and dual A-arms on their 90. If they would make it stop and handle I could inject the power. Just cant see spending $5000 on a 90 after the puchase price.
The can am looks good but seems way down on power.
The drrs and Apexes are decent but I cant get over that dang air filter hanging right in line with the front tire kicking up mud and water. Also the transmission issues.
Trying to get him to ride 2 wheels because you can buy a quality race ready 2 wheeler. He really isnt interested in dirt bike.

racedad26
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Kinda stinks that we cant even purchase any youth quad right now [unless you buy used] with all the legal crap goin on. The other daw back is an 8 year cant race many places on a 250 un less u scew an age. My son was 5 foot 8 145 of monster on a dinli and it still ripped the best he just bruised his knees on the bats. ha ha. There was a blaster with a 90 motor for sale on here, and have seen a reptor 250 with a 90 motor on robin1grafix also, may be a way to go. have fun

lem dad
04-03-2009, 05:29 PM
It would be cool if honda would step up but I don't think it will happen honda 90 with dual a arms and disk brakes drr and apex sales would drop big time

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03
EVS
X Tream Clean

dwhst9
04-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I thought you could still buy 90cc+ quads now?

redonkulousruntsracing
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I just received my 5 year olds Apex Pro MX 50 from Hetrick Racing yesterday. No problem buying it. Your kid would be great on and Apex 90 or 100. I believe them to be superior to the Yamaha and Hondas when it comes to this size quad. You would have to do many upgrades to get on equivalent to an Apex. The slipper sprocket basically eliminated all trans problems on them, you just have to check the torque on the nut before each race. I watched a 115 lb 12 year old flog the crap out of his Apex with out any mechanical failures in 14 races last season, I was so impressed by the durability, handling and power, that I bought one. If your looking for a performance quad from the big 4, you will be looking for a long time.

marsrace2
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree, you cant beat the Apex and I think most tranny issues that used to happen have been cured, even though they were generally from rider style to begin with. I wouldnt consider puting an 8yr old on anything bigger. The quality od our Apex's is better than the Yamaha and Polaris Minis he had before. Dont worry about the air filter never had a problem.

rookiewrench
04-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I would look at the pitster pro they make a 125 and a 150 for the same price as a apex. Duel a arms good shocks and 4 stroke power.

Ride1Rob
04-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Chillin, shoot me a PM if you're interested in a bike that I built for my 8yr old.