PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding which 450 to get

BMF
04-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Im looking for a new quad but have been reading reviews and dont know which will best suit my needs. Im stuck between the TRX450 and LTR450. Most of the time I will be riding trails and fields. Some track time but not too much. From what Ive been reading the Honda would prob be a better choice but the LTR is going for a great price. I also heard the LTRs have overheating problems in the trails. Is this true? I couldnt find any posts to support this. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

zwark
04-03-2009, 03:41 PM
have you thought about the kfx450? i hear it's a trail-dominating machine.

Duke Nukem
04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by zwark
have you thought about the kfx450? i hear it's a trail-dominating machine.

x2 It's a sweet machine

JParisi48
04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
yeea kawis are geared nice and low, and they have reverse! id get one, but if you are only stuck between those two, id get a honda

MX MaNiAc 06
04-03-2009, 08:55 PM
You could really pick any of them if you're not too specific. If I was you I'd go to the for sale section and just pick up the best deal you see..

04-04-2009, 12:57 AM
LTR450 or ktm.

Honda only built 1 good quad and that was the 250r. Their 450r seems to be the trail quad of the 450s.

In 450 shoot outs the ktm always ends up the fastest but according to what they say the ltr450 with a cherry bomb is right next to the ktm for power and that was including the yamaha yfz450r so it sounds like the LTR is the 2nd best from what the mags say about the engines any ways.

Imo the 450r is the worst 450 for handling and power modded and un-modded.

Duke Nukem
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HalfAquad
LTR450 or ktm.

Honda only built 1 good quad and that was the 250r. Their 450r seems to be the trail quad of the 450s.

In 450 shoot outs the ktm always ends up the fastest but according to what they say the ltr450 with a cherry bomb is right next to the ktm for power and that was including the yamaha yfz450r so it sounds like the LTR is the 2nd best from what the mags say about the engines any ways.

Ok so why does my dads HRC450R paste a Yoshi LTR in a flat out drag race:huh

Tommy Warren
04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
dirt wheels claims the ltr has the best bang for your buck out of all the 450's. but my buddy rides a trx450r and its pretty good on the trails. you have to ride the clutch in more technical sections but your gonna get that with any 450.

js52589
04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by zwark
have you thought about the kfx450? i hear it's a trail-dominating machine. this

BMF
04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Cool thanks alot guys Im going to look at the LTR tom so we'll see how it goes.

reptikes
04-04-2009, 01:40 PM
LTR450 or ktm.

Power and fastest are two different things. You know that right?
If i recall last years shootout had the TRX450r with the fasted stock speed (i believe tied with the YFZ450) and the best bottom end, second best mid range (only to the Polaris 450).

You don't really think or even know, you just type... I understand

04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Duke Nukem
Ok so why does my dads HRC450R paste a Yoshi LTR in a flat out drag race:huh

Well last summer my stock ltr with a cherry bomb/no air box/ sparky out vs a honda 450r with no sparky stood no chance in drags on pavement. I got ahead off the line and he fell farther and farther behind.
On grass the 450r with 20s would pull ahead because all I would do is spin but after I got up to speed and stopped spinning I would gain and pass the 450r.

My ltr with no cherry bomb and only the spark arrester removed vs yfz450 with no spark arrestor the yfz450 would win by around a quad length. Once I plugged the cherry bomb in and removed the air box the yfz stood no chance as long as I could get traction.

My ltr with sparky out/no air box/ cherry bomb/ against a piped cr250 on pavement my ltr450 won by a good amount. But I'm not sure if was because of the driver or if I won from power because it was the only dirt bike I ever took on.

04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
Power and fastest are two different things. You know that right?
If i recall last years shootout had the TRX450r with the fasted stock speed (i believe tied with the YFZ450) and the best bottom end, second best mid range (only to the Polaris 450).

You don't really think or even know, you just type... I understand

When I say fast I'm talking about power. If some one wants speed they shouldn't even be looking for what quad is better.

JJs450r
04-04-2009, 03:27 PM
i guess the riders of the 450r and yfz were idiots or maybe you

id say trx just because that what i ride and know about, probably one of the most reliable of the 450s, if the moneys there ktm be best you wouldnt have to dump tons of money into aftermarket stuff but its all personal preference

250r rider 88
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
bang for your buck the new YFZ450R is the clear winner in the 450 class, if you have the $ however get the KTM, it has the best handling and makes the most overall power out of any 450, plus all the little details on the machine make it worth the price, however for the 2500-3000 dollar price difference you could buy the YFZR put the GYTR ported/polished racing head, exhaust, and revalve you shocks

but if you are not going to race and want something that is trail friendly but could also let you run around the track the KFX450 is probably your best bet because it is geared so fricken low making it great for trail riders and reverse is nice too

btw, this comes from a guy who still rides/races a 250R so this is the most unbiased opinion you will get

Duke Nukem
04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Well last summer my stock ltr with a cherry bomb/no air box/ sparky out vs a honda 450r with no sparky stood no chance in drags on pavement. I got ahead off the line and he fell farther and farther behind.
On grass the 450r with 20s would pull ahead because all I would do is spin but after I got up to speed and stopped spinning I would gain and pass the 450r.

My ltr with no cherry bomb and only the spark arrester removed vs yfz450 with no spark arrestor the yfz450 would win by around a quad length. Once I plugged the cherry bomb in and removed the air box the yfz stood no chance as long as I could get traction.

My ltr with sparky out/no air box/ cherry bomb/ against a piped cr250 on pavement my ltr450 won by a good amount. But I'm not sure if was because of the driver or if I won from power because it was the only dirt bike I ever took on.

Maybe I didn't post it clear enough. The HRC kit includes everything the Yoshi kit does + a bigger header pipe & a hotter profile cam. I'm not talkin "with the sparky out", you don't gain the amount of power your talking about by taking the arrestor out of the exhaust. Plus what if his jetting was off that makes a world of difference. For the record, my old 440EX would take my neighbors "claimed to have a Yoshi kit in it" LTR all day, every single time.

BMF
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Well I ended up with the LTR its great

BMF
04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Well I ended up with the LTR its great

ATC_KING
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
wow TRX and LTR them two atvs are very diff in my eyes i think if your leaning to the TRX you should really think about KFX i think it has more to offer than the TRX and from what i can read you dont want to spend alot so keep away from KTM