View Full Version : The "tear-off" ban......

scottwvu
04-03-2009, 07:39 AM
"Tear-off covers for your goggles are now illegal! Congress thinks this is polluting the environment! Can you believe this crap?????:mad:

Eviltanker
04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Well They gotta catch me first. This is getting stupid now.

spanky101
04-03-2009, 07:56 AM
im pretty sure that was an april fools joke... I believe there are 2 parts to the video and the 2nd states that it was a joke.

scottwvu
04-03-2009, 07:59 AM
I just found out that it is not a law YET. However it is on the AMA website. It's no joke.

MX450
04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
you can thank anyone who voted for obama and his friends for crap like this

Quad18star
04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by MX450

Or the people that use the tear offs but never pick up their junk afterwards.

I'm no environmentalist, but it pisses me off when I'm riding down a trail and it's littered with plastic tearoffs that will NEVER decompose. Maybe it's up to the companies that produce tear offs to come up with something that will decompose ... then the problem will be solved.

feuerstack411
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
link? Even for closed course compeition? that's bs, I hate roll off's.

jcv400ex
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm with Greg it pisses me off to see them on the side of the trail also....get some roll offs.

250r rider 88
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
it was racerxonline's april fools joke, in the second video posted on april 1 they talk to more people about it and in the end the tell roger decoster dont tell anyone its an april fools joke, there is no tear off ban

Quad18star
04-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Joke or not ... it should still be a ban until the manufacturers come up with a way for them to decompose. But that's just my opinion. Like I said , I'm no tree hugger but I appreciate nature.

Chit
04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Who wears tear offs anyways?

Man up, and go out with no goggles at all. :chinese:

Dan_Guetter
04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I appreciate nature as well, but in the case of tear offs being used only on closed courses where they can be pickup up and disposed of.

Nick110
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

So after my moto is done Im supposed to go back to the track and remember where I tore one off and pick it up? Maybe for trail riders it a logical idea but not for MX or XC racers.

Pipeless416
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
my riding pants have pockets :)

Quad18star
04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
So after my moto is done Im supposed to go back to the track and remember where I tore one off and pick it up? Maybe for trail riders it a logical idea but not for MX or XC racers.

Maybe not you having to do it , but atleast the track owner or organizer should be going around to clean it up. I've been to a few tracks , where after the race they just pack everything up and leave.. the wind gets ahold of the tearoffs and next thing you know it's a 1/2 mile into the woods. Gotta be a better system out there rather than just throwing them away.

Nick110
04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Maybe not you having to do it , but atleast the track owner or organizer should be going around to clean it up. I've been to a few tracks , where after the race they just pack everything up and leave.. the wind gets ahold of the tearoffs and next thing you know it's a 1/2 mile into the woods. Gotta be a better system out there rather than just throwing them away.

I could understand that, Ive actually seen some tracker owners/worker go around and pick them up. Biodegradable would be the way to go though.

eastside 400
04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
there is a better system if you care about the environment, rolloffs. i dont really like them but that would solve it for everyone but there still gonna end up in the dumps with everyones bottled water and stuff so it really doesnt change anything

reptikes
04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Littering is illegal, thats all there is to it. Ban or not it shouldn't be permitted. To (MX450) it would have nothing to do with Obama.

coryatver
04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
IT WAS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE

http://www.racerxonline.com/video/TearOffBan2.aspx

They are used on close course racing they get picked up after the race! GNCC racers don't use them they use rolloffs.

04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Chit
Who wears tear offs anyways?

Man up, and go out with no goggles at all. :chinese:

I like the gift of sight, I think I'll wear them when needed. When i'm out in front or by myself I wont wear them because you get so much more airflow and a bit better vision. But if its trails were branches could wack you in the face or your where someone else is riding in front of you the sand and dust isnt a good feeling and i'll put them on. Always have them around my neck when riding and when needed they go up. On the tearoff subject I thought they were biodegradable?

k4f5x0r
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
now i feel conserative. I rarely tear mine off unless they get REALLYY bad. but thats cause i keep some distance if someone is infront of me or because i wipe them off on breaks. im not comfortable enough in the air to rip a tear off-off :D

spanky101
04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
This has sorta got me thinking... Maybe if enough people emailed the goggle company and showed them our concern and showed that the market is there and it will make their company more green and thats something the mx community could use.

<DRS>GPF
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM

wow.. hate much..:confused: :huh

reptikes
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by spanky101
This has sorta got me thinking... Maybe if enough people emailed the goggle company and showed them our concern and showed that the market is there and it will make their company more green and thats something the mx community could use.

Good thinking!

Chit
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I like the gift of sight, I think I'll wear them when needed. When i'm out in front or by myself I wont wear them because you get so much more airflow and a bit better vision. But if its trails were branches could wack you in the face or your where someone else is riding in front of you the sand and dust isnt a good feeling and i'll put them on. Always have them around my neck when riding and when needed they go up. On the tearoff subject I thought they were biodegradable?

My eyes have built up an immunity to dirt..

and mace. So I don't have this problem.

MX450
04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
what do you guys think happens to all your coke and water bottles when you chunk them in the trash?? They sit in a landfill not decomposing! who cares about a few tearoffs...

spanky101
04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
It may not be a huge deal but the fact is that tree huggers are looking for more and more reasons to kick us off land and if we can limit the little that is one thing less they will be able to whine about.

Quad18star
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by spanky101
It may not be a huge deal but the fact is that tree huggers are looking for more and more reasons to kick us off land and if we can limit the little that is one thing less they will be able to whine about.

Exactly. No reason to fuel their fire.

Everytime I go out riding or hunting with the quad, I always carry a garbage bag or two .... and everytime I get back home them bags are almost full of junk that I've picked up along the trails.

MX450 ...every week I have 2 recycling boxes full of stuff that goes to the curb. Plastics , papers , bottles and cans go to the recycling boxes ... everything else, which is mostly composte stuff goes in the garbage.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I always wondered what happens to them when I see them all over the track. It may be BS if they passed the law. But I'm not really surprised..

What kind of repercussions do you think track officials could come up with? Disqualification, last gate pick, suspensions, make them pick up every tear-ff on the track? haha

If a cop searched someone's toy hauler and found tear-off goggles are they going to confiscate them and give them a court date? Hahaha I just don't really see how they could enforce this.

flyboy62
04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
i dont use tear offs or rolloffs. there a hassel. i just wipe them and ifs its really bad i just take my goggles off

csr250r
04-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Ridiculous, especially on a track, you pay 30 or so to enter maybe track workers could clean up a couple tear offs for that. Im not a fan of roll offs either, I ran them a couple races with some sloppy mud and they just smeared it... It could cause wrecks if people cant see in their moto :ermm: guess its time to stock up on yet another thing thanks to some hippies.

spanky101
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Guys, RELAX, its a huge april fools joke. I am just talking about the future and trying to preserve the right to ride for not only us but future generations of riders.

<DRS>GPF
04-04-2009, 06:50 AM
in my previous life... while working at the local MX track, one of our jobs was to clean up what we could get our hands on, including tear-offs.

but i agree with many, that there should be a bio-degradeable version..

the 1st manufacturer to do it wins.

edit:
BTW, the timing of this joke is perfect.. in light of the omnibus bill. etc. it was a very easy sale.. lol

popular science always does a good joke too.. ill see if i can find this years.

spanky101
04-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I know whichever manufacter starts the trend many will follow. I dont know what the cost of biodegradable material is compared to a non-biodegradable material but i would definatly fork over the little bit of extra coin if i had the peace of mind knowing i was helping save some riding for future riders

deathman53
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I've ridden at places that didn't allow tear-off for the same reason. It makes garbage that doesn't get picked up and/or blown away by wind and bikes riding by. I've used them there, as many have, never tore them off on the track, used them to protect my lenses.

zwark
04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm no environmentalist, but it pisses me off when I'm riding down a trail and it's littered with plastic tearoffs that will NEVER decompose. Maybe it's up to the companies that produce tear offs to come up with something that will decompose ... then the problem will be solved.

Hemp can be made into a plastic-like material, as well as roughly 4000 other things. That can decompose.

hondariderdylan
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
This is just another peice of Obama's "Lets Piss Off The Powersport Community Plan"

stage 1:
Ban youth quads becuase of some made up lead crap

Stage 2:
Ban all dirt bikes and atvs b/c of stage 1 b/c it reqires kids to ride atvs too big for them and kids start to get hurt and killed and it will make everyone think they are devil machines

Stage 3:
Ban tear offs so that we cant see and we wreck and they go back on stage 1 & 2 and ban all dirt bikes and atv's

Stage 4:
who knows whats next
Obama are you listening?????

haha:p

Eviltanker
04-06-2009, 05:26 AM
I think the Bio degradable idea is great. It would save me from Having a pocket full of tear offs at the end of a ride.(I'm a little dude so, 2 tearoffs fill the pocket.)

54warrior
04-06-2009, 05:58 AM
what do you guys think happens to all your coke and water bottles when you chunk them in the trash?? They sit in a landfill not decomposing! who cares about a few tearoffs...

Exactly.

ProspectorJim
04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Exactly.

So by your logic we should be able to throw our garbage everywhere because it would be it wouldn't decompose in a land fill anyway... wow nice thinking there(or lack there of).

54warrior
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
So by your logic we should be able to throw our garbage everywhere because it would be it wouldn't decompose in a land fill anyway... wow nice thinking there(or lack there of).

It's a few tear offs, don't really see the significance in the matter. You guys gonna go to all the local dirt oval tracks too and tell all the sprint car and late model drivers they can't use tear offs either??? I know those tracks don't go around picking up tear offs.

Here is some contact info for you all to get started...

http://www.racingoptics.com/

Racing Optics, Inc.
6160 N Hollywood Blvd Ste 106
Las Vegas NV 89115-1102

PH: (702) 636-0042
FAX: (702) 636-0067

buck440
04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
biodegradable tear offs? maby i shouldn't of said that:chinese:

ltr450rider21
04-07-2009, 03:14 PM

if its such a problem to you, you go pick them up.

Quad18star
04-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ltr450rider21
if its such a problem to you, you go pick them up.

Maybe you can't read .... but I stated that everytime I go out on the quad , I'm picking up atleast a garbage bag or two full of crap ... and that includes tear-offs from irresponsible riders that can't keep their garbage with them.

As far as me picking it up at the track ... the organizer is the one getting the money ... I shouldn't be the one having to clean up what they should already be doing... and not letting the crap float off onto public land.

ltr450rider21
04-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Just making a joke, and no I didn't read that part.

I don't understand why tear off's is such a big deal that we need to make them decompose. Its less than a millimeter thick, It's not going to ruin a forest.

Theres plenty of other **** out country should be dealing with instead of freakin' tear off's laying in the woods.

Pipeless416
04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ltr450rider21
Just making a joke, and no I didn't read that part.

I don't understand why tear off's is such a big deal that we need to make them decompose. Its less than a millimeter thick, It's not going to ruin a forest.

Theres plenty of other **** out country should be dealing with instead of freakin' tear off's laying in the woods.

despite there being many other issues that should be dealt with before offroad enthusiasts, we are a target. whatever we say, do, or don't do will be used against us.

BlasterEaten250
04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Jeeze talk about a joke gone wrong:scary:

But I believed it at first, I was like danggggg I just bought a new pack:mad: