PDA

View Full Version : Too Rich?

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey guys I changed my pilot out to a 42 today and my main to a 155 and when I stab the throttle its puffing black smoke, I have not rode it since rejetting just let it run because I have a couple other issues

If it puffs smoke when I stab the throttle is it rich in pilot or main? It is also backfiring when I stab the throttle and sounds like it is backfiring through the carb some

Its a 2002
stock bore
white brothers e series
155 main
42 pilot
Choke removed today
air lid on
uni filter

NacsMXer
04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
The pilot circuit controls idle to 1/4 throttle. The main jet circuit controls 3/4 to full throttle, so likely it's the main jet. Does it sputter bad too when you pin it (backfiring)? If it misses bad and puts out black smoke it's likely to say you are rich. Try stepping the main down to a 150 and see if it cleans up, if not, go even lower ;)

You should be testing it in gear while riding the quad, not revving it in neutral FYI.

Also where is your clip on the needle set at?

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I know I should not test it while idling but I have a problem with my throttle cable being in a bind or something and it will not release all the way so I can not adjust my idle, I am going to work on that more tomorrow though I am just trying to find out about this before I work on it tomorrow

oh and the clip is set at factory spec, 3rd position