PDA

View Full Version : XC a-arm setup

motoboy66
12-30-2002, 12:19 AM
Do you think this will work for XC? +3 a-arms with +4+1 offset wheels to keep it narrow. The a-arms are so wide so I can crossover into MX. I am looking at Merrell Extreme long travel arms with either TCS 0 preload or PEP ZPS shocks. I need your help because I have never raced a XC and really don’t know what to expect, but I do know I need to keep it narrow. Also what do you suggest for a rear axle? I need one adjustable in width so I can cross over.

RED121572
12-30-2002, 06:54 AM
Bump.

Pappy
12-30-2002, 07:07 AM
i think +3 in the woods is askin for trouble. +2 is a maybe depending on what your local xc courses are like. +1 seems to be the width most xc guys run. axle....try lonestar....they seem to be a favorite around here.

erac4019
12-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Alot of guys are running +1 arms with offset wheels, which brings it back to stock width. Around here anything too much wider than stock just wont fit through the woods.

Extremeracer167
12-30-2002, 08:29 AM
+1 a-arms with 4-1 offset wheels will still be wider then stock. I believe its still 1 inch wider then stock.

12-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by motoboy66
Do you think this will work for XC? +3 a-arms with +4+1 offset wheels to keep it narrow. The a-arms are so wide so I can crossover into MX. I am looking at Merrell Extreme long travel arms with either TCS 0 preload or PEP ZPS shocks. I need your help because I have never raced a XC and really don’t know what to expect, but I do know I need to keep it narrow. Also what do you suggest for a rear axle? I need one adjustable in width so I can cross over.

anything more than +2 on a-arms is askin for trouble.

I run +1 houser arms up front,,stock length houser swingarm and an adjustable LS axle and it works perfect for both XC and MX..

Dave400ex
12-30-2002, 02:33 PM
Yeah anything over +2 is just calling for you to hit trees. My brother has +2's and can't even fit. If you want to race in the woods or like to ride in them, get +1's. Rico's setup is a good one.

motoboy66
12-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the help. A dealer recommended the +3 setup; maybe that’s what they had a lot of. Anyways I think the +1 would be the best choice as 80% of my riding is in the woods, but I love to get on an MX track and air it out. Are the rear rebuilds any good or should I just save for the real deal?

Thanks

killed300ex
12-31-2002, 04:37 AM
the rear rebuilds aew ok but if you got the money i think it would be better to go all out and get new shocks all the way round
killed

12-31-2002, 08:26 AM
I had my rear shock rebuilt for $250 and it was well worth the money,,I've yet to bottom out my rear end to this day and I've been using the rebuilt rear for a year now..

And +1 arms do make a difference in the woods and MX track,,it doesn't seem like it's much of a difference..well it is..

Dave400ex
12-31-2002, 08:38 AM
I got the Rear Rebuild and like it a lot. I also have not bottomed mine out yet. It seems to work very good. Is they whole new rear better, yes. If you have the money get a whole new rear. Since you are doing a LT front end it would work much better.
Rico do you really think the A-Arms make that much of a difference in Woods? I have thought about getting some +1 arms, but most guys tell me to just save for a LT setup.

12-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Yes it's worth the money. But I'd rather have the +1 LT with 19 inch shocks. I'm still happy with what i have..I can say the +1 arms helped more on the mx track than XC but they help either way. And throwin some offset from rims on there for MX make it even wider..

Dave400ex
12-31-2002, 09:02 AM
Well then if I want a new Front End I will have to go with the LT setup. If Arens starts selling some LT arms for around $600 and we start to get some feedback on them I could see doing a LT setup, but not paying $800 for arms and then I don't even know what LT shocks cost. What do they run?

12-31-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
and then I don't even know what LT shocks cost. What do they run?

Waay more than the arms are gonna cost..I believe a LT front end is gonna run ya in the $2000+ area..:eek:

Dave400ex
12-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Well then I think my stock a-arms are good enough for a long time..... ;)

12-31-2002, 01:50 PM
just a quick question abt a arms and rims. Right now i have stock length a arms and 2:3 offset rims. It gave me i think 3 inches. So if i got stock rims and then +1 1/2 a arms (just doing this so the numbers work out) it will still be the same "stabilness?"(if thats a word) since there the same width? I figured with +2 a arms (which im getting soon) it would be much much better handling then now even though i am only an inch narrower. so iguess what i am saying is i was expecting a lot better handling then what im at now. I guess a arms make more of an improvement then rims. I hope

bmw500hp
01-01-2003, 10:25 AM
I have recently ordered JRD's new +1 Long Travel XC Arms.. Although these are obviously not +1 they are similar. I was quite impressed at the areas of concern Joe at JRD addressed when he described the quality built into his product. Can't wait to get em...

Dave400ex
01-01-2003, 12:51 PM
What kind of Shocks are you going to get to go with the JRD's?

bmw500hp
01-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
What kind of Shocks are you going to get to go with the JRD's?

WM... I can't decide D.. There are 2 decisions that hang on the fence....it's the cam/comp and the suspension....I am real happy with all that I hear & research on 87 bore to 440 by stroke I am confident in the retention of the original sleeve and future bores. but It's tuff to decide where to go with cam/compression.

Suspension issues are just as difficult...Got to get there soon though....Are you gonna do your motor?? I think I know that tc build you want to do... If it's the 425, TC has a real reasonable figure for it....

Dave400ex
01-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah I think the 416 bored to a 440 would be one awesome Motor. Plus a torque monster. What Shocks are you looking at? I would get PEP or Elka because Axis is just to darn expensive. I think Elka is the best bet.
Well I'm not sure when I will do my Motor. Yeah it's the 425 XC Motor that he uses for XC Racing. The 425 Piston is $135 from him and then the XC Cam is $189. That's all you need, but I want to do my Clutch at the same time.....