PDA

View Full Version : New DS450 CV4 Fuel Tank Heat Shield!

TNT
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
New DS450 CV 4 heat boot s/b available in a few weeks, this is our fuel tank a prototype not available for production or the public yet.

It velcro’s to the tank and has a hole for the ECU.

We found out about this at the 09 INDY show after I heat taped it. This is the first one made,

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/Boot.jpg

If your running in hot weather this is must for performance.

Nice job CV 4 thanks for supporting the DS450!

joeyds450x
04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
looks like a diaper for your gas tank!! LOL

TNT
04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Lol! I spent over $150 in heat tape this is well worth it and does a much better job diaper or not. Who cares it's under plastic. Not always about looks, lets talk performance and keeping fuel from boiling. Ask the race teams then you will appreciate this!

Once your fuel boils your toast. I seen some carbon fiber tank joke they paid some pros to advertise that does not work, adds to the problem, this definitely is a better step in the right direction, trust me!

dbkbushwacker
04-02-2009, 08:41 PM
did you get a price?

cdoskocil9
04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
So your saying that the carbon fiber Warnert is running is useless?

xsr_racing28c
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Where do you get your info from TNT1? JW... you seem to know EvErYtHiNg!!!!!!!!!! haha.... or not!

Flynbryan19
04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
CV4 makes some great products and this is gonna be another one. I got to see this in person at Steele Creek GNCC the other weekend. Its a great idea and should work VERY well especially for quads like the DS that are known for having fuel boiling issues. As someone else said, its hidden by the plastics so you'll never see it.

TNT
04-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Where do you get your info from TNT1? JW... you seem to know EvErYtHiNg!!!!!!!!!! haha.... or not!

Same question where did you get your info? Just giving you a hard time keep you on your toes. I asked you once to explain to me how CF is a heat shield and you never did so walla! I'll keep my opinions to myself then. I just call it like I see it unless you can explain away? Just be carefull though have a world class bond shop just a few steps away.......:

Show me specs or test results that show CF better in convection, conduction, and radiation of heat then the stock plastic tank or w/CV boot? I'd like to see this maybe I'll learn something? confused: Until then sorry I like CV4 better! :D

Love a challenge - Ha! :D :cool:

TNT
04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by dbkbushwacker
did you get a price?

CV4 will have it.

MarcM
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Hello,

Do you need to remove the gas tank to install the diaper?

Does it take much labor?

Thanks...

ThePhantomRider
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Carbon Fiber is a heat conductor...nuff said. Ideally you want to use a titanium shield with an air gap between it and the area to be shielded.

That's how many race cars are done to shield the heat from exhaust from critical components...

That said, titanium is not an affordable option.

The "diaper" should work well enough.

TPR

TNT
04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Carbon Fiber is a heat conductor...nuff said.
TPR

Yeah your right thats why it will do a good job conducting heat from the engine and radiator right into the fuel.....:rolleyes:

TNT
04-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by MarcM
Hello,

Do you need to remove the gas tank to install the diaper?

Does it take much labor?

Thanks...

It's not that hard to get to the tank...

Here it is installed.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/Bootinstalled.jpg

DS450LOVER
04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
So your telling me you are gonna take the tank out everytime you wash the quad to get all the mud and muck out from between the tank and the sheild..... seems like a lot of work. seeing how it takes like an hour to take the tank out with the motor in.

Blizzard24
04-14-2009, 04:23 AM
I was thinking the same thing, just after one race under my plastics had tons of mud, I can only imagine what that boot is going to hold in, I'll stick with heat tape.

TNT
04-14-2009, 05:21 AM
Well I don't see how it's going to get in, the periphery is sealed with clued on velcrow. Only small hole is at the fuel pump hose coming out but you could duck tape that if you run mud often. The heat tape won't be as effective as this since the boot creates a air gap between the tank and reflective layer.

This boot as I understand has been run sucessfully but other quads....

We'll see, we'll be in mud soon! :D

Blizzard24
04-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Let us know Terry, I just see it as another mud collector, I hope not, but mud seems to find every opening.

Flynbryan19
04-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
I was thinking the same thing, just after one race under my plastics had tons of mud, I can only imagine what that boot is going to hold in, I'll stick with heat tape.

Well, wouldn't you have not known the mud was under the plastics if you had not taken the them off.....? Sounds like you already take the plastics off when you wash the machine anyway. It maybe an extra step, but for those that are having trouble boiling fuel I'm certain the extra step it takes to clean this after a race will be more worth while than a DNF.;)

Blizzard24
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Well, wouldn't you have not known the mud was under the plastics if you had not taken the them off.....? Sounds like you already take the plastics off when you wash the machine anyway. It maybe an extra step, but for those that are having trouble boiling fuel I'm certain the extra step it takes to clean this after a race will be more worth while than a DNF.;)

It is more than just an extra step... it is quite a few steps, like taking the plastics off, unbolting the front shock, unbolting the gas tank mount, unbolting the three bolts holding the side bar in, disconnecting the ecu and the fuel pump, then getting the tank out. Then putting it all back.

Or I could (and I have) Add heat tape, and if there are any more problems, drill 1" holes in the side shrouds and eliminate all the other steps above.

ml450r
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't the 09 mx models come with heat tape on them already?

Aussie_YFZ450
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
TNT, do you have any idea when these will be available to the public? my CV4 rep tried to find out about it and was told that no such thing exists or is planned.

I dont doubt you, i think my rep isnt pushing the right buttons at CV4....a part number would be handy if you knew of one....:macho

TNT
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Tell you what we assemble tomorrow or Thursday... I just want to make sure there is no binding when we get the plastic on. I will call them and let them know Friday at the latest....I do want to run it in some mud but I will tell them Friday. Let me run the test I would rather you buy a product you are happy with than not..

Lets see our first DS450MX race is 4-25 in Oklahoma if all goes well.....Ill know a real answer then but again will call giving ok on the installation Friday.

ML yeah it has heat tape but maybe not enough especially where we live in 105F, and 80% humidity. :rolleyes: You willing to take a chance and DNF or worse risk injury? It's been done you won't be the first. You also need to send that ECU and get the limp out for racin. Things I do for you ML, you owe me lots of good cigars Mr. ML450r. :D Oh BTW my 19 year old kid going to get you at HLR, you and those Robbin bro's...JK! :eek2: He'll be the main star in your utube helmet cam video out here....:blah: :D

ml450r
04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by TNT1
He'll be the main star in your utube helmet cam video out here....:blah: :D

:D ;)

I don't think the issue with fuel is that big a deal for a 5 lap race, I know it is a sereious problem for xc and the long pro motos. This limp mode could be a problem though. Last lap of open a at Pell city, the bike acted like it was missing or something, when I cam a cross the finish line I looked down and noticed the check engine light was on and it wouldn't rev out. Can marineworld do that for me?

ProConcept
04-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ml450r

I don't think the issue with fuel is that big a deal for a 5 lap race, I know it is a sereious problem for xc and the long pro motos. This limp mode could be a problem though. Last lap of open a at Pell city, the bike acted like it was missing or something, when I cam a cross the finish line I looked down and noticed the check engine light was on and it wouldn't rev out. Can marineworld do that for me?
My dealer did it for me. Said it was under BossWeb, but was hard to find at first.

Blizzard24
04-15-2009, 04:20 AM

At the minimum, go to your dealer and have them raise the temp setting in B.U.D.S, this will at least raise the limp mode so it isnt being triggered so early.

TNT
04-15-2009, 05:34 AM

Fuel boiling is not something you want to leave to speculation imo. Does not cost that much to gain peace of mind. CV4 sells the heat tape cheaper than BRP I found out too late or this boot. Thing about our DS's as opposed to say the YFZr is our exhaust pipe is very close to our tanks so it won't take much on 100 deg days.

ECU, I sent to Canada, 5 day shipping like $40 @ UPS store, $75 I can't remember w/insurance 2-3 day + $50 to ship it back(you send a check w/ECU). They over nighted it back so about a 6-7 business days. You do it yourself Marine World has the address.....that way you track and insure it, MW cost more to ship to Canada.

ML’s 09 already has the temp upgrade.

ml450r
04-15-2009, 10:47 AM
What happens when the fuel boils, is it boiling it all out? Or does the fuel become unignitable?

TNT
04-16-2009, 05:25 AM
yes air in fuel is no good quad will bog down llos power due to lack of fuel basically.