PDA

View Full Version : DG foward mounted oil tank

11-16-2001, 11:24 PM
I have heard (not experinced) that after riding LONG wheelies on a 400EX that when the bike is tipped up for long periods of time that you can damage the motor because the oil pump cannot suck oil from the tank when the bike is tipped. So I was looking through a mag. and found a DG foward mounted oil tank ($130). This tank mounts to factory mounts but it sits at more of an angle so when the bike is tipped like in a wheelie it can always get oil. What do you guys think?? I will tell you this, this DG oil tank is awsome looking!! Its soild chrome and looks sweet! I might buy it just becauase it looks nice.

400exdad
11-18-2001, 07:49 PM
:cool:

I think it wouldn't make a difference where the tank is. The motor draws from the bottom of the tank. So, if you're wheelie-ing, it shouldn't make any difference. Thats one of the great things about a dry sump. When the engine is tipped, or under g-forces, the pickup tube isn't away from the oil. Now, if you could do a really steep nose wheelie for a long time.......

crday98
11-18-2001, 10:40 PM
can you post some pics of the DG tank?how much is it?

11-19-2001, 02:35 PM
The tank is pictured inTucker Rocky ATV catalog. It retails for $160.

11-19-2001, 07:53 PM
Haven't seen the oil tank, BUT if it is really chrome plated-- remember this--- chrome plating retains heat!!!;)

400exRacerX
11-19-2001, 07:57 PM
Its in the year 2000 dennis kirk catalog. And the main reason why it was made is to keep the headers farther away from the oil tank to keep temperature down.