PDA

View Full Version : running different cams

honda400ex2003
04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I am wondering if you guys switch cams for certain riding? I am thinking about getting a stage 2 hotcam this summer just to try it out compared to the stage 1. I want to see what it will do different in actual seat riding instead of what is supposed to happen. I know I would lose some low but i think it would be fun to try anyway. anyone done it just for kicks. i may have to. what do you guys think? steve

bigredisb
04-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I say try it! We all hear you lose bottom end and that you have to have high compression to run the stage 2 but nobody ever says how much they lose.
I would really like to hear what you find out because your build is exactly what I would like to do to mine and I have always been on the fence between stg 1 & 2.

Plus you can always sell a used stage 1 cam.

brian76708
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
yea i want to do the oposite and try a stg one. i was kinda disappointed in the lowend i lost with the stg 2 and that was from stock to 416 11 to 1 compression.

honda400ex2003
04-02-2009, 06:43 PM
maybe we should switch and find out. LOL I may just buy one this summer. steve

killer400ex
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
before i rebuilt my motor i was running a 406 piston with 11:1 compression and i had a full aftermarket hmf exhaust and a stage 1 cam, i just recently rebuilt my motor and bored up to a 426 11:1 and went to a stage 2, i havnt completely finished the quad so i havnt been able to ride it yet due to school and the fact that i am building it in my vocational class, but i had both of the cam shafts and was able to compare them and the only difference betwene the two that i found was that the duration of the lift was noticibly longer and the lift was a hare larger, but that shouldnt take away from bottom end, and lets face it, how often are you riding at that low of an rpm where you will notice the loss, i rode a 440 with a stage 2 and i didnt realy notice that much of a loss, mid and top end was extremely noticable thogh, and thats what im usally riding at anyway, i think it depends on your riding style, if you just toy around and cruise on trails then yeah you want a bit more bottom end but if you are like me and am constantly pushing the limit then it should be an upgrade, just in my opinion

honda400ex2003
04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I ride alot of trails and slower stuff so the low end is fun to have when wheelieing of rocks and bumps and such. I will have to try it this summer. Steve

honda400ex2003
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
what do you guys think about them wearing different then swapping. would it hurt the rockers? I am wondering since it is like changing sprockets on a used chain it jsut eats the sprocket up quick. just a thought while sitting here. steve

killer400ex
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
nope, nothing is hurt since it is hardened steel, you should check your valve lash or clearance at least once a year though, this will save you alot of time and money, but as long as you change your oil regularly and your clearance is good you should be fine, and btw the rockers are mechanically adjustable whick makes them a breeze

honda400ex2003
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
nice thanks for the info, steve