PDA

View Full Version : Valves & Springs

RaceinCircles
04-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, I am finally getting back around to this...

I had a loud ticking..tore it apart..cam chain turned out to be stretched. So I got a crf450 cam chain but I noticed that the exhaust valves had barely tapped the piston to leave to half rings.

I am not going to take the risk that they are fine, so I am getting new and am wondering what a good set of valves and springs are...

I don't want to spend a whole lot, but don't want crap either...so Please let me know what your experiences have taught you.

Thanks!

Pipeless416
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
kibblewhite stainless valves and hd springs.. probably the most expensive solution, but you'll never float a valve again. or if you'd like, i just bought new springs from service honda just to be safe. for all 8 springs it was like $42. you could get the valves from there too.

bigredisb
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Are you sure they touched or was it the relief cut in the piston for the valves? Only reason I ask is I tore a engine down once because I saw the same thing through the spark plug hole. After I had pulled the head saw that the valve had not hit it was just the valve relief in the piston.

RaceinCircles
04-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty darn sure they hit.. enough for me to check my piston for a crack. I'm just tired of tearing this thing apart and want it done and dependable.

I've never had a valve float on me, I'm just worried that one of them got damaged by hitting the piston.. Stocker exhaust valves aren't cheap either! Holy Cow!

Pipeless416
04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
how did it hit if it didn't float? out of time?

RaceinCircles
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I put it back together right in the first place... It had a nasty tick, so I think I may have been 1 tooth off for 2 rides. It was my first rebuild..haha oops

On top of that, my cam chain was stretched so far it was rediculous. I could almost get a finger in between the chain and sprocket.