PDA

View Full Version : New Mod Ideas?

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey guys I know some of these posts have been beat to death and I did not want to post 5 threads so I will try this.

I have an 02 stock bore 400ex with a white brother e-series slip on and a uni foam filter with lid on.

I ride mostly trails and some faster riding but usually not past 4th gear, I love to ride wheelies in the lower gears which is what is driving me to do alot of the things to it that I am doing. I have been working on jetting the quad since the previous owner that put the pipe and filter on did not rejet, I am going to be installing a 155 main jet and a 42 pilot ( curtis sparks says 45 pilot ) but I think a 42 will work ok right?

I ordered a Sparks Timing Advance key last night, DO THEY REALLY WORK THAT WELL?

I have been considering taking my air box lid off, WILL IT MAKE A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE?

I am thinking of doing a 14 tooth sprocket to replace my stock 15 tooth sprocket, WILL THAT BE ENOUGH OR DO I NEED TO GO WITH A 13? ( I am going to order them today with the stock rear tooth and an x ring chain )

any other cheaper or free mods I can do would be greatly appreciated?

bigredisb
04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I would say run the 42 pillot but let your mods tell you what the jetting needs to be (what I mean is do your mods and start with your 155 but its just a starting point).
Since you already have exhaust, removing the airbox lid would help but you have to be careful in wet and muddy conditions.
The key works great for my 400's and didnt require jetting.
Sprockets depend so much on where you ride. Wide open fast trails keep the bigger sprockets. Tight twisty, and hilly trails smaller is sometimes better.

I dropped my 08's down 1 tooth and its really quick accelerating but really falls short on top speed.

The best mod I made to my machine that improved my riding speed was suspension. Believe it or not it made the biggest difference because in certain sections I ran 3rd gear and now run 4th gear.

The stock EX engine can outrun the suspension.

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
is the 450R stock suspension a good upgrade to the 400ex

bigredisb
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
For the dollar amount yes. Top of the line suspensions work even better but tough to do with a budget.
The stock 450R springs are pretty stiff but you can put double or triple rate springs on them like I did and they work great.
It all depends how you ride. I ride trails really aggressively on rough trails. For someone who just trail rides it might not be worth it.

04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but how much do softer springs cost for the 450r shocks?

bigredisb
04-03-2009, 05:17 AM
If I remember correctly it was like $220 bucks. With my shocks and my springs I have $410 dollars wrapped up in them.