PDA

View Full Version : convert to zps

markvette
04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
ok got a set of long travel zps shocks made by tcs. just bought some custom axis that are not zps. can i just swap the springs to make the axis zps. i see on ebay where you can buy a kit made by works to convert suzuki ltr450 front shocks to zps and all the kit is is new springs. so if the springs will interchange between the 2 shocks can i do it.

Mark

ALAMX37
04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
ZPS is an internal setup, which allows you to run the low ride height without giving up your travel. Axis has a similar setup, just isn't called zps, so in essence it would be a waste of time and money. And no spring kit will change any shock to ZPS, its an internal modification.

NacsMXer
04-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
ZPS is an internal setup, which allows you to run the low ride height without giving up your travel. Axis has a similar setup, just isn't called zps, so in essence it would be a waste of time and money. And no spring kit will change any shock to ZPS, its an internal modification.

I have never heard of an internal ZPS setup. Every type i've seen has been external.

When you say no spring kit will change any shock to ZPS... that's how PEP converted my stock 400 rear to ZPS, it's a spring kit with new crossovers and a ZPS spring. That's what makes the conversion to ZPS. The difference between non-ZPS and ZPS PEP shocks is simply a spring setup.

ALAMX37
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
No sir, not how it works. Call and ask them. I dont know how to explain it. It is how the are built internally that lets them sag while your wheels are on the ground.

Scro
04-08-2009, 06:52 AM
ZPS stands for Zero Preload Spring. This is basically just a spring that fully compresses under the load of the quad, without you on it - giving you a lower ride height to begin with. Any shock can be made to do this by simply changing springs out. However, you're not going to get the full advantage of the ZPS without changing the valving to compensate for the changes in spring ratio.

With that being said, I've always had better luck with an active spring setup instead of a ZPS setup. And if you take a look at any of the front runners in the MX or XC nationals, they are all running an active spring setup.

I would be willing to bet, that if you sent all three shocks to a reputable shock builder, they would suggest changing to an active spring rate. Maybe Colby will chime in and elaborate.

04-09-2009, 04:33 PM
When I ran pep zps it seemed like it would be no different than running a spring that is slightly to short putting a gap between the spring and pre load ring when the shock would be fully extended.
I think the ZPS spring is only their to put slight pressure on the other springs when your shocks are fully extended to stop the other springs from flopping around.

I ran TCS SSD and SSD spring was just a skinnier week/soft top spring causing some extra sag but did not smush all the way like ZPS.

madskrillz2
04-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Well just to answer your question, you don't need to switch over because Axis is basically ZPS. They don't claim to be but they still sag a good bit.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-10-2009, 08:49 AM
These guys are correct a zps or ssd setup in almost entirely done with springs.

markvette
04-10-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks for all the reply's. i think i will leave the axis the way they are for now. my son really liked the zps but i will wait and see how the axis do. i can always swap the springs and see but like i said for now i will leave them the way they are.

Mark