PDA

View Full Version : Very cold-blooded EX

BEAVER.989
04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a brand new 400EX and it is EXTREMELY cold-blooded. I've read a bit about installing a 42 pilot jet to correct this problem, but have a question...

Most of you guys are running modded motors with 42 pilots, so is 42 still the correct jet for a bone-stock quad, or would 40 be a safer bet?

Sanddraging28
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
i would suggest trying the #40pilot. 42 might be a little big

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I guess it depends on your elevation really but yeah a stock engine will probably benefit from the 40 pilot and if that doesnt work try a 42 pilot

the 400ex's are famous for being a bit hard to start which is why people always switch out the pilot jets. Try the 40 and see how it works, save yourself some time and pick up the 40 and 42 at the same time so you dont have to go back to the shop if the 40 doesnt work. Jets are cheap and its a good idea to have a few laying around in case you need to switch them out for a different temp or elevation

BEAVER.989
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I planned on getting both, but as I understand it through reading here, it's quite an ordeal to get to the jets to change them...

Maybe I'm thinking it's harder than it is, but when I hear that you have to remove all of the plastic and the gas tank just to get the carb out... I don't wanna have to do it too many times...

Sanddraging28
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
you can take the gas tank out of the bike without totally removing the front plastics. after you change the first jet. you can put the gas back in and take it for a quick ride. once you think you have the right jetting put the bike all back together.

one big problem you will have is taking the small Philips head screws out of the fuel bowl. they are HORRIBLE about the heads stripping. i suggest going to get some allen head bolts to replace them with. the size is M4 x .70 x 12. it will save alot of time and hassle if you ever have to remove it again.

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
yeah those screws do SUCK, a trick I use is to put the screw driver SECURELY in the screw head and smack the screwdriver softly a couple times with a wrench or small hammer, breaks the crud loose and it comes right out, I replaced mine screws with a stainless steel set I got off ebay for 7 bucks.

Also the clamps that mate the carb to the engine have a bolt that is a PAIN, I actually ended up having to rejet my carb while it was still on the quad because I couldnt get that clamp loose, my solution to that for next time is to buy the 7 dollar factory clamp from honda service and cut the old clamp off, I tried everything to get that dang clamp off with now luck so its getting replaced.

A good service manual will tell you how to take off your plastics but its VERY easy and if you have a good set of screwdrivers and a 10mm socket and ratchet you can take the whole quad apart if you wanted to lol

BEAVER.989
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm confident I can get it apart and back together. I guess I'm just lazy and don't wanna have to do it more than once. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Thanks for the tips. I was actually looking at the allen head screws at jetsrus and planned on getting them.

Sanddraging28
04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
WOW........ you spent $7 on stainless steel screws off ebay??????:eek2:

wanna but some ocean front Montana property i have for sale:devil:!!!!

I bought my stainless steel allen head bolts at Lowe's for less than 2 dollars!!!!!

and why spend another $7 for a new factory clamp that is a piece of *****. spend another $2 at lowe's for a screw type hose clamp. it stronger and more secure.

if you need a service manual send me a PM.

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 01:38 PM
it seems like a pain but I can tear mine down, rejet, and get it back together in less than an hour and that was actually longer than it needs to be apart but I always clean my airbox and intake snorkel parts with a good cleaner and let them dry then I clean up the engine parts that you can not get to with the plastics on, the best way to keep your quad looking and running good is preventative maintenance. While you have it apart jetting throw a new spark plug in it and change the oil and heck go ahead and change the air filter while your in there.

Its early in the riding season right now, might as well get the stuff done now so you can do some good riding without worrying about it.

Newrider08
04-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Sanddraging28
WOW........ you spent $7 on stainless steel screws off ebay??????:eek2:

wanna but some ocean front Montana property i have for sale:devil:!!!!

I bought my stainless steel allen head bolts at Lowe's for less than 2 dollars!!!!!

and why spend another $7 for a new factory clamp that is a piece of *****. spend another $2 at lowe's for a screw type hose clamp. it stronger and more secure.

if you need a service manual send me a PM.

I know I could have got them cheaper but MAN they were shiny, me likey shiny things lol. They actually turned out to be a great buy, they have held up great. OH and they are still shiny lol

Sanddraging28
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
mine are shiny too!!!!

and my wallet still has money in it:blah: