PDA

View Full Version : should I put a hole in my swingarm?

ae13291
04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
hey guys, i am currently working on my rear carrier, i am going to put a zerk fitting in the middle of the carrier and i decided since i cant put the zerk on the side like some carriers i should put a little hole in the swingarm top of the round part about the size of a 10mm socket hole, so that i will be able to grease the carrier bearings any time i want without removing the axle. but then i realized i might get stress cracks around the area of the hole? what do you guys think? also we were able to make a special tool that makes removing rear stock bearings in less then 5 minutes. if u guys want to see a picture i would be glad to show you guys.

honda400ex2003
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I would think a slot would be better but would weaken the middle. if you have to tighten your chain it will move the fitting and the hole would not line up anymore. not a real big deal but something to think about none the less. Lets see a pic of it. I may get bored and do something in solidworks to replicate the tool. I have it on my laptop so it is not a big deal when I have nothing better to do. steve