PDA

View Full Version : carb wire question?

cant400exbeatit
04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
hey guys i have a 2008 450r i bought used. i took the gas tank off to look everything over and i noticed that there were two wires coming from the carb. that looked like they were taped together. i didn't think anything of it til i looked in my service and noticed that there are two sets of wires that go into the carb. (throttle position sensor wire and carb switch wire). it looked like the carb switch wires were taped together. so my question is: what do these two sets of wires do, and what effect does it have to disconnect or connect either one of them together? thanks.

Fast350ex
04-02-2009, 05:12 AM
The throttle position sensor (TPS) sends a signal via throttle openings to the CDI which then calculates the the engine load and rpm and determines the strength of the spark and or whether it needs to be advanced or retarded.
You will notice very little or no difference with this unplugged.

This is the best I can explain it without getting too technical on the electrical side of things!

desratt
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
the other 2 wires are fuel heater wires.. I don't run any wires on my carb... if you don't run the tps it defalts to wide open.

I don't run them cause I run an edel brock . if I was running a stock carb I would still use them

Tommy Warren
04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
what happens when it defaults to wide open? is it better or worse than leaving the wires attached?

desratt
04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
you'll never notice a difference

cant400exbeatit
04-02-2009, 05:27 PM
so how does it act when it "defaults to wide open"? Should the TPS wires be connected to each other or separated from each other. And also which way gives your more or less RPM. thanks.

badazz400ex
04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Those two wires your speaking of isnt a carb heater, its a TORS setup. Which basically means if your throttle stick WFO it will shut down. The reason Honda and Yamaha do that is the FCR was setup to be used with a push, pull throttle cable setup (dirtbike). So taping them together at the switch in the carb is tricking the system into not thinking there is a open circuit. Most people bypass them when they go with a older throttle housing or a twist throttle.

Beaudacious
04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Honda Doesnt have TORS only Yamaha

d3ktrix
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Beaudacious
Honda Doesnt have TORS only Yamaha

The 08's do have shut down protection against the slide being stuck open.
We just disabled it on my friends 08 yesterday.
There is a switch in the thumb throttle housing and one in the throttle cable area of the carb.

The other wire is TPS like everyone else said.
I don't think the 06+ bikes have the carb heater, only the 04-05s.

Beaudacious
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
do alot of people run the carb heater?

badazz400ex
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Beaudacious
Honda Doesnt have TORS only Yamaha I beg to differ on that.
http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX450R1/2006450R.htm

Tommy Warren
04-02-2009, 11:26 PM
so if you unhook the tps it defaults to wide open throttle

and the tors is supposed to shut it down if it is at wide open throttle

but if you hook them together everything runs fine?

also what is the purpose of carb heater wire?