PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bearings??

trailrider894
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
carrier bearing how to!!

honda400ex2003
04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
if it is grinding I would definately change them. If not I guess it may be ok but why risk it. If you can get the parts it only takes about an hour to do. you just take the right hub off, take the lock nut off, take the brake caliper off, slide the disk off, and pull the axle out. this will get you to the carrier. then you can take out the c-clip inside the carrier, take the outside brake mount off and slide it out. Pound out the old ones with a chisel or something and push the new ones in. Put them in the freezer so they go in easier and get a socket that is pretty big to help hit them in. dont hit just the middle it can mess up the balls inside and warp the bearings. Then do the opposite steps to get back together. not bad. maybe 2 hours if you really go slow and the bearings dont come out easy for you. I have done mine before, and a buddies with a foreman as we speak. in the process of doing his since he did not get all of them. you just need one kit for the 400ex as long as you have the stock carrier. If you have any questions let us know some of us do them quite a bit cause of the conditions we ride. i would change for sure if you are going to ride in the sand for the whole weekend. i think I got everything in the directions as a broad idea of what you have to do. steve

honda400ex2003
04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
wait maybe i have the wrong bearings, i just read your question again and it sounds like they are the actual swingarm bearings where it connects to the frame. If it is you can tell me and I will delete the previous post or something. Sorry for that if i did the wrong one. I am not sure on the frame ones. steve

trailrider894
04-01-2009, 09:53 PM
ha ha just replaced the carrier bearings. sorry lad i should be more descriptive. i was speaking of the swingarm bearings or bushing whatever is in there. (where the frame connects to the swingarm it is just a squeky noise nothing more. no grinding or anything.,

honda400ex2003
04-01-2009, 09:56 PM
It should be ok then if it is sqeaking, try to squirt some oil in them to see if it helps. Otherwise you could try to get the bolt out and check them out. no prob on the description! LOL, i guess if it is ok with you, i can leave it up here since it nice to have one more way to do bearings to find while searching the subjects. steve

honda400ex2003
04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
thanks man!! steve

buster024
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm in the middle of replacing the carrier bearings, and not wanting to damage anything, how to I get the old bearings out? I've removed the dust seal, and my manual says to "insert a drift into one side of the bearing holder and push the spacer (between the bearings) to one side". Is this the large spacer in between the two bearings on the inside of the carrier? What do they mean by push it to one side? It is firmly sandwiched between the two bearings?

I'm only replacing one bad bearing, and would prefer not to have to replace both sides right now? Is that possible?

honda400ex2003
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
did you buy a pack or are you just getting one? I just used a chisel from one side to the other through the middle and hit it out all teh way around just moving it alittle bit. Then to get the new one in I used a socket tapping it in all the way around. put them in the freezer before you do it and they go in much easier. i would just do them both since it is a waste not to cause the other one is probably worn just about as much as the one that needs to be replaced. but it is up to you. I have never used a drift so i am not familar with it. I would say it goes in and presses them out from the inside. Anything else just ask, maybe someone has used a drift. steve

buster024
04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I just used a chisel from one side to the other through the middle and hit it out all teh way around just moving it alittle bit.

So, you removed both dust seals, then just pounded the bearing from the top, or did you put the chisel in between the spacer and pry them out? It sounds like you are saying just to pound them through the whole carrier from one side (all the way through the carrier) and out the other side.

honda400ex2003
04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah i took the dust seal off then went the from the left to get the right one out and the right to get the left out. I didn't push them through. i don't think they would go through anyway since there is a part of the carrier in back of the bearing which holds it from going in any further. steve

honda400ex2003
04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
pic

hit inside from right to left to get the bearing out to the left. i hope this helps. just make sure you get them in far enough when installing the new ones. then put the dust seals back in and reinstall it all. hope this helps steve

honda400ex2003
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
if you put it in a vice vertically it makes it a bit easier too. then you can hit them down just go slow and work your way around the whole thing. if you have a socket that is just a bit smaller than the inside dia. of the bearings put it on an extension and use that instead of using a chisel. you can just put the extension over against the inner bearing on the other side then it will reach pretty much to the outside of the bearing. just go around and hit the top of the extension instead of hitting the chisel. if you have a chisel that big make sure it is a blunt end on it then it will not mess up the inside of the carrier. steve

honda400ex2003
04-04-2009, 10:25 PM
how did they come out for you? steve