PDA

View Full Version : TRX, LTR or YFZ?

eriiqTRX
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Well Im thinking in buying My very first 450cc quad and Im going to get involved into desert racing but I have a little trouble, I cant decide between Honda´s TRX 450, the suzuki LTR 450 or the yamaha YFZ 450what quad you guys think is the best for me?

I will be using it in the desert bcause in the place when Im living there are no tracks

it will be my first 450, my previous quad was a TRX 250

please be respectfull with other people´s opinions

sorry bad english :(

BlaineKaiser450
04-01-2009, 08:29 PM
the honda is most reliable and they are all the same speed when modded

S.A.J
04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
you ask that here you'll prolly get the same reply from everybody....HONDA ALL THE WAY!!!!

but hey if your geting into desert racing mayb you should check out the new 700xx from honda,if i remember corectly it won the baja 1000 or some big desert race atleast!!! imo itd be a SWEET quad for the desert racer

jpfmotors
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I have always liked hondas i have had street bikes quads and dirt bikes all hondas i have had other brands and keep finding myself back with honda. you should post a thread in each forum and see what they say and make a decision off that

racerx573
04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Depends on how much money you want to sink into it to make it competitive/upgrade the performance.

The Honda is simplest to work on, as it has the least amount of electronics, if you get a kicker model.

I would say find a nice used '05 in the $3000 and use that extra money you would have spent on a new one to mod it out.

That's what I am doing. I picked up a nice low hour '04 for around $3000, got long travel front and rear ends with shocks for less than $3000... basically I will have a top level machine for under $8000.

S.A.J
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
IMO i wouldnt ask every forum section because if its the suzuki section theyre gona say suziki,kawi will say kawi,yamaha yamaha and yeah you get the point.you should ride all the ones your considering and base your choice off of that rather id say.or do what racerx573 said,i think tht would be the wisest thing to do if you wana get a 450 and build it atleast

stoopidbot
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Look at Honda's track record in desert racing. That should tell you everything you need to know.

d3ktrix
04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
If you were asking for an MX quad I would say the LTR.
But for desert I think Honda is the most popular.

MX450
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
honda honda honda

make sure and get a kicker

oh, and did i mention HONDA

j-dawgs 450r
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
HANDS DOWN, HONDA for the desert, I did almost 2 yrs of desert racing and live in So Cal, all you see in the desert and BAJA is HONDA, very very few yamaha or Suzuki, If I was you I'd get a 05 honda if you can find a used one cheap, it'll last longer in the desert than a 06+ and the transmission is made for desert racing on the 04-05 TRX, the newer trannies are made in Japan :ermm:

As far as the LTR goes, there was only one guy racing a LTR out here, and he was a beginner, I've tried to ride LTRs setup for desert or desert type tracks and It's just not meant to be.

HONDA all the way for desert :macho :macho :macho KICKSTART

And as racer said
The Honda is simplest to work on, as it has the least amount of electronics, if you get a kicker model.

wckedclownz69
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
like he said go to the shop ride all 3 and see wht suits u best... mainly what you gotta do... IMO honda very reliable... never leaving honda..quads are out for cheap now.. do wht the other guy said u can pick up a really nice one for 3000 and beef it out.. our economy stinks.. lol

HondaRaceReady
04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
like he said go to the shop ride all 3 and see wht suits u best... mainly what you gotta do... IMO honda very reliable... never leaving honda..quads are out for cheap now.. do wht the other guy said u can pick up a really nice one for 3000 and beef it out.. our economy stinks.. lol
Dude, he probably isnt from america since english isnt his native language. He said he'll be riding in the desert all the time so he's probably living in the middle east or something. I dont think he'll find a good just because our economy sucks. We dont know what his economy is like.

zrider91r
04-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I have both bikes, and here is my opinion.

2007 SUZUKI:

This bike is far from stock, with:
Fox LT all around
CT Ported head
Web Cams
13.5:1 JE piston
Yoshi Full pipe
FUEL ATV intake
PC3
other comfort things too

I have to say this is the fastest bike i have ridden, and i am not saying that because it is mine.
Its pretty comfortable, But i put a +1 stem and 14* Quad Racer Flexx bars on.It corners like a dream, goes exactly where i point it, but you have to be off the seat or it will want to 2 wheel, sometimes. The power is amazing, but i also have a few grand into the motor...

2006 HONDA:

This bike, too, is far from stock:
CT ported head
Web Cam
13.5:1 JE piston
CT full exhaust
Comfort items as well

This is def. the most comfortable bike i have ridden. Hands down.
But the power compared to my zuke, with the same engine mods, basically, SUCKS. My ltr would dust this thing with ease. This bike handles great, slides and hooks up when you want it to. Doesn't ever 2 wheel. It just stays flat and goes! I am constantly shifting, trying to get more power, but it just isn't there . If i could put an ltr motor in a honda i would.
The downside to a honda is you pretty much have to tear down as soon as you buy it. i could break a frame in 1 day no problem. But it all depends on how you ride. I personally ride like hell and go as fast as the quad will take me, usually.

I personally wouldn't get either of the above.

I would look into a YFZ R.
I have rode a few and they are pretty comfortable, but you will need new shocks quick because the back end sits really high.
And if you have a good amount of money look into a KTM. The power STOCK is comparable to my ltr. Not quite there, but close; very close.
Dust's the honda with ease.

They are expensive though.

Hope this helps your decision.