PDA

View Full Version : UNI filters

EXinMB
04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
i know lots of ppl are anti-K&N when it comes to air filters and after reading some posts on the site i am thinkin bout ditching my k&n for a UNI foam filter. right now i run a K&N with a outerwears cover and no airbox lid with the snorkel removed and bloked off. i usually get a very dirty filter and i don't clean it every ride i usually clean it every 2 or 3 rides or after every race. Im just wondering if its gonna cause a problem to run no lid on my airbox with a foam filter. and does anyone run a prefilter on UNI. I'm thinkin of taking my outerwears cuttin it and sealing it to my lid and cut a hole in the lid. if ya know what i mean kinda like a k&n power lid.
i ride mostly sandy areas and some mud if it helps anything

Sanddraging28
04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
i am one of the few that swear by a K&N filter. i have one on every bike i have, the more i think about it i have one in every thing with a motor i own. i hate a foam filter, in my opinion there it is ridiculous to have a filter that because of the way it is made lets so much foreign material to become lodged in the filter. K&N has proven themselves time and time again. whether it is off road vehicles, marine,auto,race,hell even mowers. stick with the K&N.

i dont have any problems with my K&N on my 416. i dont even have an airbox. i ride dusty,muddy trails and have never had an issue

04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Sanddraging28
i am one of the few that swear by a K&N filter. i have one on every bike i have, the more i think about it i have one in every thing with a motor i own. i hate a foam filter, in my opinion there it is ridiculous to have a filter that because of the way it is made lets so much foreign material to become lodged in the filter. K&N has proven themselves time and time again. whether it is off road vehicles, marine,auto,race,hell even mowers. stick with the K&N.

i dont have any problems with my K&N on my 416. i dont even have an airbox. i ride dusty,muddy trails and have never had an issue

i'm here too, if your in sand foam is not very good to have. If you ride in sand your going to be kicking yourself spending the money to get a foam. They clog so fast and start passing all the sand through. You need the K&N type were the sand sticks to the outside or bounces off.

DirtMonkey
04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
x3

BEAVER.989
04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Interesting...

Sanddraging28
04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
How????

WEAPONX
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I have had a UNI on everything I ride for the past 5 years, they are double layer foam, good for all types of riding, around here where I live its really dusty and a K N will kill your motor, you should clean and re-oil every filter you use on your quad after every ride, I tried using a K N on one dirt bike I had, and when you can take off your filter and wipe your finger on the inside of the intake boot and get dust and dirt on your finger, you have the wrong filter, just hold that K N up to the light and look through it, you see all the little holes that light shines through, dirt fly's straight into your carb and kills your rings, my 05 400ex that I just picked up has a K N on it right now and I have no intentions of even riding it until my UNI comes in, when i first got it last week I took off the filter and guess what I got all over my finger..... thats right, dirt. I wont use em, to many of my buddies who swair by em have to do frequent topends.

EXinMB
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
lol ya this is where my problem is. i don't know what to use anymore. seein that quad with no airbox at all and still usin a k&n makes me wanna keep it but then some ppl say they let in dust to. my girlfriend has a 08 LTZ400 i think im gonna put a UNI on that one and compare the two after a few good dusty rides.

coryatver
04-01-2009, 06:26 PM

you don't even have an airbox and ride in dusty muddy trails! No filter is going to take that without sucking in some dirt and water

04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
UNI, k&n ****ing sucks

Sanddraging28
04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
while i am never one to try and start a war this one i cant pass down. I have NEVER seen dirt in my intake tubes or my carb. i have never seen any signs of dirt contamination in any of my motors. why the **** would you clean your air filter every time you ride. that's ridiculous!!! i dont even have to do that on my bikes without airboxes. if your K&N is in good shape and oiled correctly you will never see light threw one. i have never heard anything linking K&N filters to more frequent top end rebuilds. i have been building ATV motors for 10 years and have always recommend K&N filters due to there airflow characteristics. If you follow the maintenance directions on a K&N, you should never have any problems. No filter will ever keep 100% of dirt and dust out of your motor. but a K&N with matching outerwear will flow more air than any other filter. i have never had any problems with water or dirt in my filters. and a properly maintained filter will take more abuse then you think. i do try my best to steer clear of big mud holes and standing water, but i ride a sport bike not a utility.....

04-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Been riding K&N w/ outerwears... doubt I'll ever go foam.

I dont know who has time to clean their air filter after everyride. I clean mine when I change my oil. I could let it go longer. Not much dirt falls off of it when cleaning it.

04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Sanddraging28 I fully agree. People are just dumb and blame the filter for their engine troubles. I ride in more dust than probally 80% of the people on here. Dust so bad no exageration you cant see a tree at all thats 2ft from the quad. Sometimes you jump blindly because you cant see the face you just know your headed towards it. My K&N along with everyone else I know that maintain their filters have never been let down. I need to start taking pictures of my outerwears and filters after rides then the inside of the intake boot. Spotless no dust, sand, or grit. The filter is sometimes caked with sand stuck to the outside from the oil and the black outerwears are white with dust. Clean inside. People are just being brainwashed to think they are so bad when they are not. I think people use it as an excuse to buy a cheaper filter. I had a foam on my car threw that hunk of garbage away and bought a K&N. When summer comes along and we get some flooding I do some puddle smashing at times. I usually try to stay away but one the quad gets dirty or I get wet you cant get more wet and you already have to clean the quad so sling some mud. I've been in terenchal downpours and almost **** myself when I realized my airbox was open. I stopped right away and lifted the seat only to find the mud and water falling off the outerwear and the filter was dry. I had one bad instance, it rained so hard that a rut that was 1ft deep dry ended up a 4-5ft wet. Went right into it sliding from the mud trying to stop and as i'm about to plunge I leap off and quickly get under the quad. Water is up to my chest and i'm underneath keeping it a float lol Luckily I had someone not too far behind to come help. Water splashed up everywhere yet the filter was still good to go. Foam is just a sponge when its wet.

Young_Gun1
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
if the K&N isn't a redish color then it is dirty and should be cleaned

04-01-2009, 07:53 PM
^ what he said. Mine is always still solid red when I clean it. They can go for a while w/out cleaning.

hondaracer_34
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Im going to have to say K&N...because if you look at fuel atv's intake for quads what do they use? K&N. And its not just Fuel ATV using K&N, its Velocity and others also. Do you really see any other company using FOAM filters?

05strokinfx4
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
i bought a uni and honda uses a foam type surround on the stock filter, should tell you something, foam may not make the most power but looking at a k&n and looking at a uni, i dont see any thing going through the uni, and how many people do you think actually oil a k&n properly lol not many(not just on atv's). i would personally like to see s&b or afe of the diesel market make some atv filters

04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 05strokinfx4
how many people do you think actually oil a k&n properly lol not many(not just on atv's).

thats probally why so many on here complain that a K&N was letting in dirt or ruined their engine.

EXinMB
04-01-2009, 08:49 PM
lol didn realize this was such a touchy subject for some. lol well ya im stickin with my k&n an im just gonna keep doin what iv been doin cuz iv never had a dirty carb from it. thanks for the replys. i appriciate the input

Sanddraging28
04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
thats probally why so many on here complain that a K&N was letting in dirt or ruined their engine.

exactly!!!!!!!! nobody ever blames themselves for not following directions when something goes wrong!!!!!

and to 05strokinfx4:
i have tried different air filters on my dirtymaxx(twin CP3,aurora 6000,EFI Live,ATS tranny) and have seen a drop in boost using anything but a K&N.

K&N cant be beat if taken care of PROPERLY!!!

05strokinfx4
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
K&N cant be beat if taken care of PROPERLY!!!

yea but i would say a k&n is high maintaince and most others are not the higher boost you are getting is from the less restrictive cotton gauze that they use, this allowing more dust through too. k&n uses one type of filter for all applications, where afe has a 5 layer deal for diesels(would equal less flow but more protection) and so does s&b, volant, injen, aem. k&n is primarily known for the most power from an airfilter that is reusable and they havent changed the product since it came out, but there are way better products out there, but they are going to be lower on hp output compared to a k&n but you will have a longer lasting engine

hypersnyper6947
04-02-2009, 12:10 AM
I just want whatever gives the most protection, i have a K&N now, but im putting my new UNI on for my saturday ride and we will see how it goes. Honestly i take great care of my stuff and i maintain my filter properly. So we will see what one works best, last time i went riding it probably the dustiest i have ever seen it, so when i take my K&N off we will see how it goes, i'll keep you guys posted.

PS: i use an outerwears on the K&N, but i dont have one for the UNI yet so keep that in mind

04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 05strokinfx4
yea but i would say a k&n is high maintaince and most others are not

I bought a K&N because it was easier to maintain. No sticky tacky filters its soaked into the cotton with them. Cleaning is simple no scrubbing to get the oil out. Re-oil is simple too.

04-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I bought a K&N because it was easier to maintain. No sticky tacky filters its soaked into the cotton with them. Cleaning is simple no scrubbing to get the oil out. Re-oil is simple too.

yep, a 5 year old could do it...

NacsMXer
04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Alright here's my input to stir the pot... :chinese:

I USED to run K&N and swear by them....actually I still do, but on my STREET vehicle only.

I put my first K&N filter on my quad, it was already oiled from the factory, and put an Outerwears prefilter on it. I was running with an open airbox, and to top all that off, had another Outerwears cover on the airbox "lid". Went riding where I normally ride....the dustiest of the dusty MX tracks. Practicing lap after lap with my buddies riding right on their quad's arse trying to pass and what not and literally eating plumes of dust.

I ran that filter for a while thinking it was great and never thought to check the intake boot.

So one day I decide to do my normal maintenance regimen and proceed to clean the filter. While the filter is off, I take a paper towel and squirt a little WD40 on it and wipe the inside of the intake boot to check for dirt. What do I see? All kinds of brown fine grit all over the paper towel....clear as day.

Thinking the filter was somehow underoiled, I used extra oil this time after cleaning it...to the point that I had to let it sit to let the excess drip off (the filter was completely dry too, so don't tell me I didn't let it dry enough).

Rode with the filter again, checked the intake boot, same deal, very fine grit in the intake boot.

Thinking the filter was defective, I got another brand spankin new K&N and installed it. Ran it, inspected the intake boot and big surprise!....fine grit in the intake boot.

So now here comes the deciding test....I change nothing else in this equation but use a foam UNI filter this time. In fact, I use no Outerwears on the UNI and only 1 Outerwears total (airbox). So theoretically my K&N setup with 2 Outerwears should have an advantage right? We shall see...

So I got my UNI filter on, and go ride in the same dusty-as-can-be conditions I did with the K&N. I get home, go to clean the filter and check the intake boot just like I did with the K&N. Intake boot was squeaky clean! Not a trace of fine dirt. Rode with the UNI foam again, checked the intake boot, again clean as can be. It has been that way ever since that is why I have stuck with foam filters on my quad.

So what does all this tell me through a matter of simple logic? Using a K&N filter, when properly maintained (even oiled straight from the factory per K&N's specs), riding in extremely dusty conditions, passes very fine dirt into the intake tract. Switching to a dual stage foam UNI filter no longer passes fine dirt into the intake.

Now, why do I still run and swear by a K&N on my street vehicle only? Because A.) my supercharged engine needs max airflow and B.) there is NOWHERE near the amount of heavy dust a vehicle encounters on the street as the conditions my quad rides in.

It's quite simple, through all this i've learned that you absolutely need a foam filter if you are riding in heavy dust. It is simply the nature of 2 layers of oiled thick foam vs. 1 layer of thin oiled cotton gauze (K&N), that allow the foam to filter heavy dust so much better.

K&N's are NOT worthless filters, they simply are not the best choice for heavy dust...end of story. If you ride in sand, I totally agree, you need a K&N filter over a foam one (foam clogs too quickly). If you drag race/hill climb/etc. and need max airflow, yet are not subjected to heavy dust, you should go for the K&N over foam. If you have a street vehicle that doesn't operate in heavy dust, yet you want a better-flowing filter, go for the K&N.

It is simply about suiting the riding conditions to the filter type (cotton gauze vs. foam). One thing's for sure, either of those choices are NOT universal for ALL riding conditions. Pick one or the other based on what you ride in, but don't choose one and expect it to do everything ;) :o

AbnMP13
04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Guess my setup on my 400EX would have been ideal then, I had a K&N airbox lid with outerwears and a uni foam filter inside the airbox.

:D

scuzz
04-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Guys check out this post I already made concerning this:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377950

Foam filters > cotton for off road vehicles

Well, that's what the majority of people in the thread have said.

gcart2
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM
and heres one i made scuzz.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345412&highlight=filter+poll

04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
question is.. Has anyone heard/had any problems caused from using a K&N?

gcart2
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
mine sucked in dirt. cost me a top end. i switched to uni and sparks.

i DID keep me k&n up but it let by plenty of fine sand.

04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
mine sucked in dirt. cost me a top end. i switched to uni and sparks.

i DID keep me k&n up but it let by plenty of fine sand.

funny we ride in the same areas and my friends and I have never had a problem

hypersnyper6947
04-03-2009, 02:22 AM
funny we ride in the same areas and my friends and I have never had a problem

I ride exactly where you ride, croom, and i have this problem, i will try to post pics tomorrow when i take the K&N off for the UNI

WEAPONX
04-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
Been riding K&N w/ outerwears... doubt I'll ever go foam.

I dont know who has time to clean their air filter after everyride. I clean mine when I change my oil. I could let it go longer. Not much dirt falls off of it when cleaning it.

If you ride where I live and you want your ride to last, you'd clean and re-oil your air filter after every full days ride just like I do, it takes about 5 minutes and clean air is just as important as clean fuel for your motor. The K N does flow a touch more air but is not worth the risk, a buddy and I did a test on a K N filter with my hand held GPS and after many wide open runs concluded that the only benifit of a K N filter over UNI is 1 to 2 MPH topend gain, and that to me does not qualify as a must have gain.

04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
To me it feels like it gives you more power, I could care less about top end... Let it breathe

scuzz
04-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm a mod on another ATV forum and a good portion of people are switching from K&N's.

davidw2155
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
UNI all the way, had mine since '06, just keep it clean and oiled and you will have ZERO problems. I ride in sandy and dusty places and have never had a bit of trouble with it.

NacsMXer
04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
question is.. Has anyone heard/had any problems caused from using a K&N?

Never heard of any problems specifically but finding dirt in the intake was enough to steer me clear.

When I seized and bent both of my intake valves on my old 440 motor, I was running a K&N at the time. Somewhere before that time I discovered the K&N was passing fine dirt into the intake tract, and gunking up my FCR carb. If it was in the intake and carb, guess what's right after that..the intake valves. I was running Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic at the time too, which is excellent oil as you know. I won't go far as to blame the K&N for messing up my valves (what actually caused it is up for question), but the dirt in the intake certainly wasn't helping things.

Here's a short clip of what it sounded like when it happened:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojmkl8mJg2g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojmkl8mJg2g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BlasterEaten250
04-03-2009, 06:01 PM
question is.. Has anyone heard/had any problems caused from using a K&N? I had to replace my rings a year after a top end rebuild and I blame it on my old K&N. And yes, I kept it clean

(btw I used to believe in K&N's until that happened, my next filter will be a uni)

04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
I had to replace my rings a year after a top end rebuild and I blame it on my old K&N. And yes, I kept it clean

(btw I used to believe in K&N's until that happened, my next filter will be a uni)

Going on 2 years for 1 400ex, and 3 or 4 on the other both running K&N no problems through, mud sand, water, dust limestone, clay...

billyboy93
04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
thats how my 250 blew up ran fine since 2002 then i put a pipe and k&n with outerwears it didnt last long i always cleaned and oiled the filter and when i put my finger in the air boot there was dust in there

hypersnyper6947
04-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Ok last time i went riding was probably the dustiest i have ever seen, but i cleaned my K&N 1 ride before last so that makes two rides since cleaning. I use the K&N recharge kit and i follow the directions i know its been cleaned and oiled correctly. Here are the pics and you will see why im switching. You can see the dirt in the tube, and thats after i wiped it with the paper towel. While i was in there i thought i would snap a shot of my GT Thunder port work, and you can see my new UNI oiled and ready to go.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06737.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06740.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06738.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06739.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06741.jpg

brian76708
04-04-2009, 01:11 AM
IMO even though i have a KNN i personaly like uni better
More air flow= more dirt

BlasterEaten250
04-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Going on 2 years for 1 400ex, and 3 or 4 on the other both running K&N no problems through, mud sand, water, dust limestone, clay... Good.

Ruby Soho
04-04-2009, 08:12 AM
i've ran uni's on everything.. i just don't like K&N. i'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit more airflow that won't make any difference on my motors for something i think is better.

i've never had a SINGLE problem with any of my toys with uni's on them. never had anything get passed.. and i admit i get lazy when it comes to cleaning filters sometimes.

04-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Ok last time i went riding was probably the dustiest i have ever seen, but i cleaned my K&N 1 ride before last so that makes two rides since cleaning. I use the K&N recharge kit and i follow the directions i know its been cleaned and oiled correctly. Here are the pics and you will see why im switching. You can see the dirt in the tube, and thats after i wiped it with the paper towel. While i was in there i thought i would snap a shot of my GT Thunder port work, and you can see my new UNI oiled and ready to go.

damn thats crazy. never in my life have I had that in any of our vehicles running a K&N. were you spraying enough oil on the filter? you have to make sure you get al the pleats. just seems so odd how we can ride the same place and my airboot is spotless, my outerwear on several occasions is white and brown you cant see black because its that dirty, the K&N has had sand caked on the pleats but its spotless inside and I have never had a problem.

NacsMXer
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Yup, that's pretty much how the paper towel looked when I wiped my intake boot running the K&N. I think I see a trend forming with people running K&N's and dirt in the intake. I honestly think the difference between the people that get the dust in the intake running K&N's, and the people that don't is the type and amount of dust they are riding in. If you ride in heavy enough dust for long enough like I did when I had the K&N, it will pass fine dust.

Now that you have the UNI, do the same test that I did. Go ride in the same exact conditions you did with the K&N, wipe the intake boot, and report the difference.

04-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Yup, that's pretty much how the paper towel looked when I wiped my intake boot running the K&N. I think I see a trend forming with people running K&N's and dirt in the intake. I honestly think the difference between the people that get the dust in the intake running K&N's, and the people that don't is the type and amount of dust they are riding in. If you ride in heavy enough dust for long enough like I did when I had the K&N, it will pass fine dust.

Now that you have the UNI, do the same test that I did. Go ride in the same exact conditions you did with the K&N, wipe the intake boot, and report the difference.

your so wrong though because I am riding the same place as 2 others on here and have not had a problem yet on not just 1 400ex but several. I think people arent using enough oil or something because mine is always clean.

hypersnyper6947
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
damn thats crazy. never in my life have I had that in any of our vehicles running a K&N. were you spraying enough oil on the filter? you have to make sure you get al the pleats. just seems so odd how we can ride the same place and my airboot is spotless, my outerwear on several occasions is white and brown you cant see black because its that dirty, the K&N has had sand caked on the pleats but its spotless inside and I have never had a problem.

I def oil it correctly, i spray all pleats, then i inspect in and make sure there are no white spots where the oil didnt get to. I do run an open airbox i dont know if you do or not. And yes i do let it dry first then oil it.

I will report back after i ride some real good dust on how the uni performs, but today i rode with it and i can say there is no noticable loss in power. If there is a loss i certainly cant tell at all,

ep250ex
04-05-2009, 07:13 AM
I just bought a 400ex with a K&N and didn't think twice about replacing it with a UNI, i just don't trust K&N

450rJam
04-05-2009, 08:19 AM
can I have your old k/n filter ?

Ill pay shipping

email me

jimmy450r@hotmail.com

I run them on everything, maybe im not riding in the crazy dust areas but my intakes stay clean

Honda10
04-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Get an outerwears airbox cover, I am running one of those and a prefilter with the K&N and have no problem. I also ride the same place that FlewByU352.

NacsMXer
04-05-2009, 04:02 PM
your so wrong though because I am riding the same place as 2 others on here and have not had a problem yet on not just 1 400ex but several. I think people arent using enough oil or something because mine is always clean.

Don't know what to tell you about that, maybe I am wrong, maybe i'm not...who knows. If your K&N is filtering well for you, then by all means keep it. Mine wasn't, and I no longer trusted it because of that.

One thing I can tell you is I am about as anal and thorough about maintaining stuff as you can find. Servicing a K&N filter isn't the hardest thing in the world to figure out, and I tried to keep it clean and oiled the best I could. The filter just wasn't up to the task of filtering heavy dust for me, switched to the UNI and haven't had a problem since :ermm:

gojufist
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I have a K&N with Outwears snorkel plugged off out wears covered lid. Mine lets really fine dust particles through also.I maintain it correctly. It gets extremely dusty in Oklahoma

smokindw
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I ride in alot of mud and in alot of dusty conditions and i swear by the K&N air filter and i also use the K&N powerlid. I have never had any probs with my 440ex and just 2day i took the carb off cuz im putting a 450r carb in and the stock carb was suprisingly really clean! I bought the K&N cleanin kit and clean and oil my filters every couple weeks. Bottom line go with K&N

akrowdieEX
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
i'm swithing to uni.. anyone want my K&N? 30 shipped paypal.. i bought it in january

hornetgod13
04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
K&N on my street vehicles and UNI on all my off road toys.

akrowdieEX
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
i now i have pics if anyones interested...

hypersnyper6947
05-04-2009, 08:16 AM

So I have ridden several times in very dusty conditions since this post and my new uni. This is the first time i have cleaned it since the install. I can definitely tell the tube is cleaner, you can see the difference in the pics, there is some dirt in there that i think i missed when i wiped it out before, also the big pieces are just from when i took my filter off they fell in. You can see how dirty the filter is in the pic. Also I wiped it with a paper towel again and you can see some dirt but nowhere near before.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06837.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06838.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06839.jpg

05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
How hard is it to clean them UNI's hyper? About the same as the K&N? b/c I think Im going to switch. Has anyone ran the sparks air filter?

BEAVER.989
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm looking at picking up the Sparks filter, myself.

hypersnyper6947
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
How hard is it to clean them UNI's hyper? About the same as the K&N? b/c I think Im going to switch. Has anyone ran the sparks air filter?

The UNI is just as easy to clean as the K&N. Just spray in down with cleaner let it sit for 3 minutes then rinse all the dirt and cleaner off with water. Pretty much the same process.

450rJam
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
cleaning is easy, its the re-oiling that is a pain and usually makes a mess (compaired to spraying oil on the K&N)

QuadJunkies
05-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Ive been running a K&N in my 440ex since 2002 and NEVER once have I had anything pass threw it. Ive had mine in water,mud sand and silt and never had one ounce of dirt pass threw .

hypersnyper6947 -

Are you sure you didnt have a hole in the bottom of your filter? I know I rubbed one in mine once and had to epoxy mine.

Ryan'07400ex
05-04-2009, 05:33 PM

X2

May order with the key if it is any good

05-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I am surprised more people aren't running the sparks filter. I think I might try it out.

uchi
05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
ill add to this, i dont have time to read all the pages but ill add my thoughts. ive got a k&n on my 400, drilled about a dozen or so 3/4 inch holes in the lid. i usually ride dry stuff, dry trails hills stuff like that. last weekend i went out following my neighbour after a night rain that went into the morning and it was filthy out there. we were both covered in mud. i got home, popped the lid, there was dirt in the lid and some on the filter aswell. i pull the filter and it was spotless inside, the intake pipe was spotless aswell, looked brand new. i wash the filter and it was dirty, but nothing made it through at all. straight k&n.

hypersnyper6947
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Down here in florida, it gets real dry and the sand down here gets REALLY dusty, so bad that if your behind someone on the trail sometimes you literally cant even see the trail in front of you, you have to just stay in between the trees and look for brake lights.

Snipe
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
LMAO this is such a huge debate its not funny.

I have a DS 650 with a K&N and my 2008 400ex has a UNI, My dodge even has a K&N.

The reason both these companies are even still present and still exist is cause they both work.

I pref the UNI as there about $20 cheaper and work IMHO just as well as the K&N.

No matter what filter you use you DO HAVE TO CLEAN and keep cleaned. I have ran mine prob a dozen times or more stock airbox I run lots of water and mud and cleaned it yesterday filter was hardly dirty at all. K&N same way.

Dont let either stop you. There both decent filters and both will work just fine for performance increase without letting to much dirt in your carb and or motor. Just keep them clean if there not dirty dont clean them if there dirty clean them thats how it works.

As far as this debate it has been debated to death let it die and just run what you have lol.:blah:

Ryan'07400ex
05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
So for the uni, sparks or K & N do you have to run without an airbox or can you get away with it on.

billyboy93
05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
u can have the lid on but it will loose some power and airflow

Snipe
05-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Basicly all these do in a stock box is the end on a stock air filter is rubbered over so air will only flow through the sides the K&N and UNI will flow from all sides and the end alowing more air in. Stock air box will only let so much air in as its gonna let in no matter what filter you have.

I run a UNI with stock lid just for the fact they last longer

To get the most out of a HIGH FLOW filter run an open box with the protection of outerwears. I would never run a open air system but thats just my .02

hypersnyper6947
05-07-2009, 12:11 AM
what do you mean when you say "open air system"

Snipe
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Some mods allow you to remove the air box all together than you have the filter, filter tube that goes to the carb.

So there is no protection at all over the filter or anything. Its mostly a racing thing but I dont do MX I do XC so I have to have that protoection.

One the best things you can look for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EHS-Racing-400ex-air-box-400-ex-airbox-Outerwears_W0QQitemZ120355115087QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c05b9504f&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

about $55 for the DIY kit for the 400ex or 450R

I think its $85 for the 400 and $90 for the 450R for the predone kit just remove your lide and put this one on.

hypersnyper6947
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
thats what i thought you meant, i pretty sure they use those in flat track racing more, i would never run one of those either

Pipeless416
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
EHS lids are very effective in keeping nearly the same amount of air flow as no lid, but also blocking bigger dust particles and dirt chunks. also, unless the airbox is submerged in water, they do a pretty good job at keeping the inside dry. but yes, an airbox delete would be a bad idea.

05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah I think Im going to make a switch from K&N to a sparks racing air filter. Anyone ever ran or hear anything about those?

Snipe
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I have never heard of anyone running them. From what I see there just a foam filter on the sparks website.

05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
they got a "supercharger ring" that goes with them.. Figured I'd try em out.. If anything its just as good as a uni

Ryan'07400ex
05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Snipe

One the best things you can look for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EHS-Racing-400ex-air-box-400-ex-airbox-Outerwears_W0QQitemZ120355115087QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c05b9504f&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

about $55 for the DIY kit for the 400ex or 450R

I think its $85 for the 400 and $90 for the 450R for the predone kit just remove your lide and put this one on.

Is this kit (55) pretty easy to put together i would rather do it myself if saving some money over the $85

Snipe
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I have not bought one (yet) got some other things that is a bit more important for my bike at the moment.

From the looks of it a simple really sharp knife or a dremal tool will work. I am pretty sure they come with a template to cut the hole out with just mark around it with a marker and cut the holes then drill the holes for the bolts and slap it together. I really dont think it should be that hard.

If the hole isnt perfect the outerwears will cover it up anyway.

hypersnyper6947
05-07-2009, 09:32 PM
does anyone have an outerwears for there UNI??

Snipe
05-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I dont, I just run a stock box Rocky Mountain sells them for like $10

NacsMXer
05-08-2009, 02:02 AM
does anyone have an outerwears for there UNI??

I just got one for mine :)

droppedmazda
05-08-2009, 03:10 AM
i spoke to a sparks dealer that is a sponser on this site, and they are having some problems with their filters coming apart right now. i run a uni on my trail bike and foam is the only thing that will ever be on it. i looked at getting the sparks filter because they are supposed to flow a little better. but they are coming apart right now for some reason. they are supposed to be getting it fixed so if you want one, i would wait a bit for them to get the problems worked out. i am a big fan of sparks so when they get it fixed i will be getting one.