PDA

View Full Version : crank???

Gommer450r
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
i was just talkin to a mchanic and he said the 450 cranks are **** he said try gearing it up and jettin it up for woods roads and trails they wont last its an 06 he said bit better but still the cranks go is there any truth to that and is there anything i can o to help it from goin he said cause from pre dentation?:confused:

Ride1Rob
04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Two things.... 1). DO NOT TAKE YOUR BIKE TO THAT MECHANIC.... 2). Call him and tell him he's a tool and he don't know JACK!!!

Cranks don't go bad, the bearings in the cranks do. I've been riding my bike since 2004 and have never had bearing issues. I've only seen this happen in one case in all the motors that I've rebuilt and all the guys/gals that I've rode with over the years. Not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not very common.

MAaudioX10
04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I concur, your mechanic is a fool.

The issue derive from a poor oiling design. The crank and, underside of the piston rely on the rotation of the crank to fling oil on them.

I bought my 06' used and, with in 3 months...crank bearing locked up. In 07' Yamaha installed an oil squirter that sprays oil directly under the piston and, saturates the crank.

You can do nothing and, hope for the best. I've got a buddy that has a 2004 YFZ that gets ridden hard and, put up wet....and, has not had a single issue with it.

J&T products offers the oil upgrade for $200. You send in your clutch side case and, they machine the case....install the squirter and, ship it back to you with a high velocity oil pump. Very fast turn around; usually one day.