PDA

View Full Version : white smoke= too rich or too lean?

250r rider 88
04-01-2009, 02:16 PM
just put on a Sparks MX pipe and silencer and it has excessive white smoke from idle to wide open, this has to do with jetting i believe so too lean or too rich?

also not sure when the silencer was repacked would that have any affect?

thanks

Honda 250r 001
04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
could be jetting, could be your leakin antifreeze into the cylinder im not sure. run 32:1 premix and tell me your jets and i can help ya.

250r rider 88
04-01-2009, 02:24 PM
well i run a mikuni so i doubt you do as most run the keihn

Honda 250r 001
04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
get that piece of #$%#$ off a there. haha. i would never run anything other than a kehin. check your head for leaks as a start. tighten the bolts up slightly more and see if it helps.

250r rider 88
04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
haha, imo i think the mikuni is better suited for low to mid range which is what i mainly run, mid to top the keihn will kill it anyday,

ill try the headbolts

250r rider 88
04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
well im still stumped, richened up the jetting a little bit and it seems to smoke worse,

granted im not using the freshest gas in the world, but i made sure to shake the crap out of it

could gas that has been sitting for awhile cause the smoking?

nashport_native
04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
what pipe was you running before? might have to lean the engine out for the new pipe vs the old one.

atvmxr
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
now maybe the sun/goggles/whatever is keeping you from seeing clearly, but blue-purple smoke is premix, white smoke is steam. if the gas is really old it could have soaked up enough water to be the cause... or you have a water leak..

this is one thing I've recently noticed about race fuel - virtually no white smoke its a darker blue color, pump gas I get more white smoke with just a blue-purple tint to it...

250r rider 88
04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
was running an ESR TRX 6 pipe before, now running a Sparks MX, very comparable pipes i would think,

thinking its not coolant, i put a new head gasket on it before i started firing it up for the year, i will try some fresh 93/amsoil in the morning and see if that helps, also Im running the liquid performance racing coolant, but i wouldn't think that would make a difference, i have no leaks coming from the outside of the head, which would make one think it wouldn't be leaking on the inside (but i could be totally wrong on that)

also, ive watched the coolant level in the radiator and it is staying at the same constant level which would lead me to believe its not leaking coolant

also ive heard that when you leave these 2 strokes sit for a while (over the winter) condensation, oil, etc can get down into the cases causing it to smoke till its burned out, so maybe i just need to go run the hell out of it?

Langbolt
04-01-2009, 07:56 PM
2 things:

1) Did you re-torque the head after your first warm up ?

Sometimes depending on the quality of the head gasket they can squish a bit causing it to loosen off and leak.

2) Try pressure testing the coolant hose between the outlet at the back of the cylinder & the outlet at the top of the head......That'll tell ya if you're leaking in the cylinder.

my 2 cents........which are Canadian and only worth 1.6 cents US

haha

:devil:

atvmxr
04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
so maybe i just need to go run the hell out of it?

very possible.... :macho

05LSR250R
04-02-2009, 07:36 AM
The only times I've seen a 250R blow white smoke is when there is a coolant leak!

250r rider 88
04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
ive ruled it as water build up in the gas from sitting for awhile,

put in fresh gas and no more smoke:devil:

skyhighatv
04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Just curios about the sparks mx pipe vs the trx6. I know you said you havent ridden the bike in a while,but how do they compare? Is there any noticeable power characteristics between the two? Torque,delivery,over rev?

250r rider 88
04-02-2009, 07:58 PM
rode with the sparks today and all i can say is wow

now granted i got the jetting spot on, i was close on the ESR but never fully happy with it, and i went from 40:1 to 50:1 mixture on my amsoil dominator so those 2 things could be making a big differance but overall:

more torque
hits harder
still pulls through the top end, unlike the ESR where it falls flat

to be fair i would have to ride with the ESR again with the same conditions for a fair test but i think in those conditions the sparks would win, every pipe shootout i could find for it going up against other MX/Woods type pipes it made the most usable horsepower and torque