PDA

View Full Version : Please help,what is the proper procedure for tightening the axle nuts?

ds13ema
04-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Im trying to find out what the proper procedure is for tightening the axle nuts on my 01 400ex. Any help would be appreciated.

Scro
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
If you don't have the correct size wrench (which are expensive), you can use a pipewrench. You can also use a pipe on the end of this to give you some more leverage.

When you are doing it, have someone apply the back brakes. This will keep the wheels from spinning while you tighten it. After it is tight, wrap both nuts with electrical tape. This will keep them from coming loose while you're riding.

And remember, it reverse threads.

bean #310
04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
also dont forget to tighten both nuts towards the brake disk not a nut all the way to the left and the other nut all the way to the right, that is th wrong way to do it. i put locktight on mine to hold it together and it hasnt came loose

ds13ema
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
now i am confused. I thought they were supposed to be tightened against the ring on the axle? Doesnt that put the pressure on the brake to hold it in place? if I turn them to the right towards the brake rotor, it loosens everything.

bean #310
04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
ya ya, im so sorry they do both go against the ring on the axle towards the rim, i had it backwards