PDA

View Full Version : Question - newb

dw0095
04-01-2009, 07:10 AM
I just bought a used 04 kfx 400 and I am trying to learn/understand what's what.

Here's my question,
If I stand on the footpegs and shift my weight back and forth to each foot, I notice a shimmie coming from the axle/bearing area. I don't think it is coming from the swingarm. Does this typically mean that my bearings are shot or the whole carrier needs to be replaced?

What are good tests for each of these parts?

Thanks in advance,

D

ifixtheyride
04-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Jack it up and grab the rear tires then see if there is play and where its at. Maybe the axle nut is loose. The bearings can be replaced and its not that hard or expensive they all go bad.

dw0095
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
^ I will give that a try tonight. Is there anything else that can wear out besides the bearings in the carrier housing? I have already ordered new bearings but not sure if I have to get a new carrier too.

Thanks for the advice.

ifixtheyride
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Can't say if anything else will be bad depends on how long it was run with bad bearings but chances are you will be ok. Getting the axle out maybe fun sometimes it gets stuck inside the carrier housing. I think being an 04 you have the 2 stud chain tightener just check the bolts and nuts are in good condition that pinch the carrier into the swingarm and watch because overtightening those tensioner nuts break the studs off and are no fun to get out.