PDA

View Full Version : lots of fun 300ex problems 4 you 2 help me with!!

chargercalvin
03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
ok i just bought the bigest crapiest pile of 300ex i have ever seen. i bought it cause it was 700 bucks and its a 99 model with some mods. it has no key or switch so i have to roll start it(this is always fun), the thing wont idol...it wants to but it just wont, i pulled the carb and everything checks out so???? the idol control is almost imposible to get to. what is the thing that is on the left side(when sitting on atv) that has a cable goung to the other side, it looks a little like idol but its not, you adjust it with a screwdriver....its some kind of ajustment but idk. i have to pull the damn carb if i wanna adjust the idol without burnin the $hit out of myself. also bad exhaust leak where the white bros pipe goes on header, no clamp will stop it from popping like hell. and kill switch doesnt work at all. any ideas???

anything will help :)

-calvin

Tommy Warren
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
first off... did this thing come with an ownership? anyways the tube that comes out on the left and goes to the right IS the idle adjustment but what happens is the part inside the carb where the screw actually screws in falls out and rolls around and eventually it will jam under the throttle control in the carb and you be stuck with a wide open throttle causing you to wheelie into a telephone pole fly over the handlebars and destroy your shoulder. (trust me) so what you do is take the carb off and take the plastic cap off where the throttle cable goes into the carb and try to find this piece. it will not go back on so you have to adjust your idle at the throttle itself where the throttle cable comes out of the thumb throttle. keep the bike running while screwing the throttle cable out and once it idles than your set. hope this is helpful I'm terrible at describing things if you need more help just pm me and I'll try to take pics.

sparky450AR
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
sell it for $800.

ktm300ex
04-04-2009, 10:52 AM
just because it doesnt have keys doesnt mean you have to roll start it....Just find the 2 wires that went to key switch and hook them up to a toggle switch. That way you just flip the switch instead of turning the key.

and for the carb problem it sounds like something is still not right in th carb. Take it apart and make sure everything is clean.

Tommy Warren
04-04-2009, 11:19 AM
i hooked my ignition wires up to an old kill switch off of a ski-doo and mounted it on my headlight so if I need to kill it in a hurry i just punch the headlight (great stress relief).

pull the switch back up and your ready to go again!:blah:

chargercalvin
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
i put battey cables on it cause it didnt have any when i got it (the right ones). i hooked up a good battery and tried to stary it. the starter didnt do anything but the solonoid i guess(the round thing that looks kind of like a bigger "d" battery) made a little click everytime i hit the start button. the starter is hooked up and getting power. is there anyway to take it off and check it? what could be the problem?

-calvin

Tommy Warren
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by chargercalvin
i put battey cables on it cause it didnt have any when i got it (the right ones). i hooked up a good battery and tried to stary it. the starter didnt do anything but the solonoid i guess(the round thing that looks kind of like a bigger "d" battery) made a little click everytime i hit the start button. the starter is hooked up and getting power. is there anyway to take it off and check it? what could be the problem?

-calvin

sounds like brushes to me. Take a small hammer with you and next time you try to start the bike hit the starter with a hammer and push the start button at the same time. should begin to turn over. if it works then you need to get new brushes for the starter I think they run about 18 bucks from honda.
If hitting the starter with a hammer doesn't work then I would replace the brushes anyway before replacing the solenoid.

p.s a bad connection at the battery could cause the clicking sound also so make sure your -/+ connections are clean also.