PDA

View Full Version : The TRUTH about WB Rev Box!

11-16-2001, 10:16 PM
Truth about the rev box is this. My local bike shop has dyno charts of just about everything, including stock 400EX Vs. 440EX's, stock 400EX's Vs. 400EX w\fmf blah blah blah, he has one dyno chart with a stock 400EX Vs. a 400EX w\ WB rev box. The chart tell the truth so brace yourself. Truth is the box does very little, he told me that no matter how much RPM you got the curve of the motor is only going to make so much power. I took a look at the dyno charts and the line graph ONLY raised once with the WB rev box. The only time it rasied was in 5th grear wrapped all the way out. So unless your in fifth gear going as fast as you can the rev box is not doing anything. He said what people hear is the motor reving up and they think they feel more power. Now, call me a lier, call the bike shop dyno guy a lier, call whoever you want a lier, but the DYNO charts do not lie. That day I went into the bike shop to buy a WB rev box. I told the mechanic that I wanted to order one, he said before you do look at this chart. Then he explained it to me. I can't figuar out why he told me NOT to buy one?? I mean its more money for him, but he asked me if I wanted one after I viewed the charts, and I said no. He said why waste $125 bucks? This is just my opinion. All of you riders out there might feel differently, but like I said I saw the charts and I can honestly saw it doesn't look like the WB Rev box is all its Reved up to be. Just my thoughts,

[><] Honda Rebel [><]

11-17-2001, 04:39 AM
Your bike shop was correct. The rev. box is only good if you have a bike set up for extreme top end. When you are trying to get extra RPM's out of a bike then you need an unlimited rev. But no matter what you do any motor is going to start to run flat or decline as it gets to a higher RPM. The ideal thing to do is if you build your motor, have it Dyno'd to see what RPM you have at peak hp. You need to use this number to determine your gearing so that you don't run out of gear before you hit your peak hp. The other thing that the rev. box does is increase your timing curve, this can be done just the same by installing a timing advance key.
Also, if you look at the 400's most of them make the best hp around the 6000 to 7000 rpm range which is well under the stock rev. limiter.

86atc250r
11-17-2001, 10:22 AM
A dyno run comparing the stock CDI vs the WB CDI has been published on GT Thunder's website for well over 2 years....

Another note is that even though WB claims 6deg of advanced timing and 1000 RPM over stock, there is no advancing of the timing and the Rev limit is well above 11,000 RPM....

The WB CDI is the same as the stock XR250R CDI.

max400EX
11-17-2001, 09:45 PM
Honda4hundredEX
Sounds like you have a good shop to go to! I have recently found one in my area that is competitive and wont screw me. The owner and I are "friends" now... I am teaching him about Quads b/c he is a big bike guy and works on multi-thousand (about 10-20g's in mods)dollar bikes. I even tought him about ceramic coating and he was stoked on the idea.

11-18-2001, 12:16 AM
You'll find better results out of the rev box with a modded
engine. If you take a fully modded 400ex engine ( ported, polished, race cam, new gearing, yada yada yada) then
you can put the box to good use but with a stock engine
your right , it isn't worth the money.