PDA

View Full Version : Rear Rotor

JOEX
12-29-2002, 06:50 PM
I'm getting ready to rebuild the rear end on my 400....axle, bearing carrier, lock nut, pads and maybe the rotor. The axle is bent and the rotor may be bent as well. I'm not sure if the rotor is really bent of if the wobble in the axle is making the rotor look bent.
Any hoo....
What makes one rotor better than the other? I've seen prices range from $50 to $150. What do I need to look for when shopping for one?

Joe

JOEX
12-29-2002, 06:55 PM
One more thing...
Please don't just say "Buy This Brand" I want to know Why one is better than the other.

Thanks, Joe

d-14 rider 27
12-29-2002, 07:03 PM
some are stainless steel, others are mild steel, some take heat better than others, some are thicker, its all what your wallet will allow, ive used the speed racing products stainless rotor, and finally bent it (big rock) its all the style you prefer, my next one is gonna be abraking wave rotor, my buddy has one and its tough as **** wich surprises me with how thin and chinsy it looks. id definatly go with stainless for sure tho. also, if your in the mud a lot, maybe a solid rotor would work better for you.

JOEX
12-29-2002, 10:33 PM
Thanks..
Any idea what the stock one made of? They run about $72 at sevice honda.
As for the solid rotor in muddy conditions , i've hear conflicting stories...solid vs. vented....I don't know what to belive:confused::(
I don't ride in alot of mud and on info from others... i'm thinking i'll stick to something similar to stock.

Anyone else have some input?

Joe

Ex'r Marlin
12-30-2002, 11:09 AM
I happen to be one that uses the "solid" brake rotor for my normal "muddy" riding. I recently got a wave rotor too... Looks like an excellent design too. The problem I see with the "holes" is that mud and dirt will stay in the rotor and reduce the life of your brake pads, and possibly the life of the rotor, but if find that the holes do not get clogged with dirt, I would stay with the "hole" design or wave design to help cool the rotor. My 2 cents.

I know there are many reputable companies out there that make good brake rotors... But I do not know what material they make it in to justify the price.

d-14 rider 27
12-30-2002, 11:47 AM
stock rotor is mild steel. ex'r marlin is right tho, if you stay outta the mud, get one with vents. heat will warp a rotor too. ex'r marlin, who makes the wave rotor? galfer, or braking???????

Ex'r Marlin
12-30-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by d-14 rider 27
who makes the wave rotor? Not sure how many manufactures are out there that make the "wave" rotor... I got a Braking one though.:)