PDA

View Full Version : I have a new respect for imprts.

Alberta_Qaudin
03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
ok well i'm un-bias to vehicle type, import/domestic, ricer, what not.....But that said, this weekend i went out in an STI.......for those non believers i am a big fan of "muscle" power, but i have to give credit where due, that sti was quite possibly the fastest vehicle i have every ridden in. we were on a back highway with a spotter car well ahead to make sure no others were travelling the road. this little car pulled solidly strait up to 255km/hr before he shut it down when alerted of another car coming our way. (we weren't looking for cops but not willing to risk anyone else on the road but ourselves)

anyways i knew these things were fast but i was AMAZED i fully understand why someone would buy one of these, the comfort, feel, control, and power was the perfect package

KFX450Rrider490
03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
this may be a stupid question but how fast is 255km/hr in mi/hr im thinking around 160-170 but just want to be shure and was the car stock or did it have any motor mods??
thanks

spanky101
03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
STI's are easily one of my favorite cars, awd, little 4 cylinder with a turbo... i love it. But idk, still not the same as a big diesel truck :D

Alberta_Qaudin
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
its about 160mph, pretty sure he said it was pretty stock, and even at 255 he had room and was still pulling steady, but due to night time and not wanting to risk any possibility of anyone but us getting hurt he shut it down and we headed back to the house. i have driven in everything from vettes to muscle cars, nova, chargers, ect and this thins was amazing

03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
whoop whoop :D welcome. If the STI was stock get in one with even higher boost. Ahhh so fast. Really you dont know until you try. I always figured yeah 4 cylinder yeah its turbo but it cant pull that hard. I know quite a bit of people with WRX, STI, EVO, SRT4, B18T Civic/Integras, 240's, RX7. Boost does wonderful things. Might sound like a shocker but a buddy of mine ran just a car length back from a Z06 Vette with a B18T 4 door integra on 14PSI and he has it built to run 23PSI after a tune. I drove my friends SRT4 with 20PSI a couple weeks ago and I was just shocked. I've ridden in them but you usually dont get the feel of full throttle until you jump in the seat and go for it. I left about a 100ft long burnout at 60MPH. Just doing gear pulls it spooled and hit the sweet spot max power and was spinning. Nuts. AWD like EVO and STI those launch so hard its crazy. If I had more money I would get one. I can buy a WRX right now if I sold my quad and other 2 cars. Biggest thing is weight. HP and Torque numbers mean nothing its power to weight for the most part. But STI already has 300HP or something... beast.

10.4 daily driver...
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JC_ETtrXnU8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JC_ETtrXnU8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

631kfx400
03-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by spanky101
STI's are easily one of my favorite cars, awd, little 4 cylinder with a turbo... i love it. But idk, still not the same as a big diesel truck :D
i feel the exact same way

S.A.J
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
thats crazy but not exactly stock either ^^

spanky101
03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
That STI launched soooooo hard! That is a sick car for sure!!

elmer91
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
i am with you on this one. i despise pretty much any kind of import/ricer. but the lancer and impreza are the two that i would love to have.

03-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
i am with you on this one. i despise pretty much any kind of import/ricer. but the lancer and impreza are the two that i would love to have.

no love for S2K, Supra, GTR, 350z...? damn thats some hate to not like those cars.

elmer91
03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
no love for S2K, Supra, GTR, 350z...? damn thats some hate to not like those cars.

recently i have been looking at the gtr's. they are nice. and the skyline. other than those few, i am not a big fan. what i like about the lancer and the impreza is the AWD.

03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
recently i have been looking at the gtr's. they are nice. and the skyline. other than those few, i am not a big fan. what i like about the lancer and the impreza is the AWD.

only the evo is AWD the lancer isnt

elmer91
03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
i knew it had lancer it it. lol. i dont know all the letters and stuff after them. like the subaru impreza wrx sti. i just know it as the impreza.

i have seen some sweet imports, and will admit that there are a few i wouldnt mind to have. i was just raised around american muscle.

jesseweaver
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
ill admit i'm really biased towards muscle cars too, i like the high HP and torque numbers and the RWD and pure power and sound of a v8, but i do like a lot of imports. mostly german cars though, i dont like FWD at all but all wheel is nice, they launch real quick. im startin to like audis, a lot of people around here have a4s now everyones getting s4s and they're FAST. i do like the STIs a lot too. im not that big of a fan of the jap cars though. i like some supras (mostly because of RWD and most of them twin turbo'd)

...but still nothing better than that old v8 rumble:macho

scuzz
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Better buy a good warranty if you get an Audi...

The subi is the best way to go. Great quality and it hauls butt, it's also a very safe car to be in.

I'm passed that stage in life now though and want (as someone mentioned a few replies up) a diesel pickup to haul my other toys and family around on vacations and trips now. I am now looking for a cheapo commuter car for the week and a truck on the weekends.

ds450racer
03-31-2009, 09:06 AM
the imprezas are one of my favourite cars too. The evo is nice but doesn't handle to good.

Titanium
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ds450racer
The evo is nice but doesn't handle to good.

You're getting wayyyyy out there...for sure.

:o EVO handles just as good as the imprezas.

03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ds450racer
the imprezas are one of my favourite cars too. The evo is nice but doesn't handle to good.

Yeah maybe offroad the EVO doesnt handle as good but on the street I would actually think the EVO would have more edge to it.

Quad18star
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
I'm passed that stage in life now though and want (as someone mentioned a few replies up) a diesel pickup to haul my other toys and family around on vacations and trips now. I am now looking for a cheapo commuter car for the week and a truck on the weekends.

I'm the same way ... although I have access to a '69 340 Cuda that is sitting in the garage. :devil:

But I always wanted to buy a fast little car and soemthign that would turn heads .... now I could care less ... the main reason I drive a 2004 Saturn Ion 4 door. You come to realize that spending huge amounts for insurance just isn't worth it. Plus I can fill the tank for $30 and drive for 2 weeks.

I am looking at getting a weekend ride though. Trying to get my hands on a 2007 Toyota Tundra TRD ... and who knows what kind of goodies it may receive. :p But it will only be a weekend toy , or anytime I need to haul something ... the rest of he time I'm happy with the car.

03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
You come to realize that spending huge amounts for insurance just isn't worth it. Plus I can fill the tank for $30 and drive for 2 weeks.

This is why NA 4 Cylinder cars are great to build. You throw on a turbo and build it up still the same insurance rates. You can still get great gas milage driving regular and thats why turbos are so neat they boost when you want them to.

03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I LOVE the style Impreza in that video.. but the new style impreza's are lame and they completely killed the STi name. Even consumer reports said it lost some of the "fun" feeling they got from the older style.

The STi is deffinitely one of my favorite cars, but other then that I don't care for jap cars all too much. American muscle is where its at.
Like the new ZR1 Corvette. 600HP supercharged C6 engine, amazing suspension and weight distribution, and it sounds amazing. *starts to drool*

scuzz
03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I LOVE the style Impreza in that video.. but the new style impreza's are lame and they completely killed the STi name. Even consumer reports said it lost some of the "fun" feeling they got from the older style.

The STi is deffinitely one of my favorite cars, but other then that I don't care for jap cars all too much. American muscle is where its at.
Like the new ZR1 Corvette. 600HP supercharged C6 engine, amazing suspension and weight distribution, and it sounds amazing. *starts to drool*

Yeah, but an STi is more attainable than that monster ZR1. I'm 38, but I'm not old enough to afford *that* corvette.

FHKracingZ
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
ahaha dont worry sti's arnt cheap. Up towards 40k out the door..

03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
ahaha dont worry sti's arnt cheap. Up towards 40k out the door..

Thats odd they retail for $32k and used go for much less. WRX are faster than the STI with the same turbo or waste gate w/e it is. The STI weighs more and costs more. People were doing the turbo swap on foresters or w/e since its the same engine

Alberta_Qaudin
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
my buddy paid 22K canadian for his, as far as fuel goes if you keep it slow, the sti doesnt eat much gas, much like my GTI just keep it below 3000rpm and out of the turbo and your fine, i can pull 700km's out of my gti if driven in a respectable manner.

and dont get me wrong here guys, i'm not saying........"THE STI IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE I WOULD NEVER BUY A BIG DIESEL TRUCK" that said to each their own my friend happens to be a more city type, not really into quads, ect. this is his toy much like some people buy the bigger faster quad that came out. I'm more a truck guy myself, (when i say my GTI, what i am really saying is ol' ladies GTI) I love MY titan and in the next few years we'll see if i cant get her a little more pull but that's another thread for another time.

but i am impressed this thread hasn't turned into a pro/anti import battle......thanks and good job

rodeo#11
03-31-2009, 06:12 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rs-jAImScms&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rs-jAImScms&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3or4HONDA
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
that was sweet!

Alberta_Qaudin
03-31-2009, 06:42 PM
now that's some serious skill

ridered11
03-31-2009, 06:48 PM
I love my sleeper.

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/9765-2006-Volvo-S60.jpg

feuerstack411
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
ill admit i'm really biased towards muscle cars too, i like the high HP and torque numbers and the RWD and pure power and sound of a v8, but i do like a lot of imports. mostly german cars though, i dont like FWD at all but all wheel is nice, they launch real quick. im startin to like audis, a lot of people around here have a4s now everyones getting s4s and they're FAST. i do like the STIs a lot too. im not that big of a fan of the jap cars though. i like some supras (mostly because of RWD and most of them twin turbo'd)

...but still nothing better than that old v8 rumble:macho

BTW, almost every German car is RWD, expect VW/Audi. Once you get into the M series BMW's, the AMG Mercedes, and the S/RS line Audis, you can kiss your straight line american muscle good bye, or as the BMW/Merc/Audi drivers would say, auf wiedersehen.

Originally posted by scuzz
Better buy a good warranty if you get an Audi...

Yeah, if you buy one from the 80's. The new Audi's are very very impressive, and they are sexxxxy. Take a look at the A4 and A5/S5, they're drool worthy.

The whole "its German so its unreliable" thing always cracks me up. I owned a Chevy Blazer, that thing broke down more than I can count. I've also had 2 BMW's and both of them have never broke down.

S.A.J
04-01-2009, 11:37 AM
i love german cars,id like to get an audi or bmw for my first car used of course and then mod them along the way.imo bmw's and audi's are some of the best looking cars,the newer volvo's aint even looking bad anymore

04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
only the evo is AWD the lancer isnt

Same with 2g eclipses. AWD turbo evo engine just a faster looking body. 210 hp stock. Can make 500hp on the stock engine.

scuzz
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by feuerstack411

Yeah, if you buy one from the 80's. The new Audi's are very very impressive, and they are sexxxxy. Take a look at the A4 and A5/S5, they're drool worthy.

You should really do your homework. Audi reliability is one of the worst of any manufacturer and and definitely out of the German manufacturers.

Yeah they look great and have a lot of features and whatnot but I know of three people who had the A4S4 and traded them after they got hauled off on a flatbed for either a EVO or WRX.

EVERY one of them had some bizarre electrical gremlin.

ridered11
04-02-2009, 08:00 AM
You still can't beat a German engineered car, in some respects they are often over engineered but still yield a very respectable car.

scuzz
04-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by ridered11
You still can't beat a German engineered car, in some respects they are often over engineered but still yield a very respectable car.

Yeah, my mom and brother both have BMW's, with my brother having an M3. They l-o-v-e their cars.

ridered11
04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Once you understand how they work and how to work on them they really aren't bad at all. Its just they are so much different and more complex then say American cars that many are steered away.

Believe me I drive a volvo haha.

Exrider434
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by HalfAquad
Same with 2g eclipses. AWD turbo evo engine just a faster looking body. 210 hp stock. Can make 500hp on the stock engine.

lmao...

you and those damn eclipses make me laugh.

One of them would never compare to the power and handling of the newer German cars.

Pipeless416
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
ive said this before.. my girlfriend drives an 01 A6 2.7T... i hate that thing. i love driving it, but to even change the airfilter is a chore.. not to mention every place oil leaks from and the electrical issues. her dad just got rid of an 06 A6 a week ago and went back to driving a 95 VR-4. Her mom has actually had pretty good luck with her 07 audi Q7.

04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I think it was a VW that had the intake manifold and stuff right above the head so to change the spark plugs or anything done to the motor even adjusting the valves you had to take the intake maifold off along with a bunch of other crap. STI is the easiest car to work on, they specifically designd it so every bolt is easy to reach without removing something else. Honda's are pretty basic too 4 bolts and the engine is out.

04-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I think it was a VW that had the intake manifold and stuff right above the head so to change the spark plugs or anything done to the motor even adjusting the valves you had to take the intake maifold off along with a bunch of other crap. STI is the easiest car to work on, they specifically designd it so every bolt is easy to reach without removing something else. Honda's are pretty basic too 4 bolts and the engine is out.

Pshhh. I don't know if the STi's are the same way, but Subarus absolutely suck to work on. Our forester ate a wheel bearing, and it was freakin rediculous how hard it was to change it. You have to pull the whole friggin front end apart. Then to top it off, the bolt to loosen it to get the bearing out was so tight, the head snapped off trying to get it out. So we had to tear the whole assembly out and drill the bolt out.

We absolutely hated the forester. It was a 2002 top of the line. We bought it because everyone raved of them, but never again. It had no balls, was a pain in the crapper to repair them, parts were expensive as hell ($700 for a rear hatch:huh ) road noisy, cramped, and just not a great car. The only good thing was the reliability of the engine and how it preformed in snow, that's it. We sold it and got a 01 60th anniversary grand cherokee and love it so much, we will buy nothing else for the family SUV.

I HOPE the STi is better built/easier to work on then the forester. lol

krt400ex
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
I love my sleeper.

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/9765-2006-Volvo-S60.jpg

my girl has a s80 t6 and i love it. fast, handles great, no road noise, sucks up bumps and holes like they aren't even there. the only thing i dont like is front wheel drive and it feels heavy... cuz it is lol.

i want an s2k. i really like the new 370z though. from what i have been reading it is quite a nice car.

04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I HOPE the STi is better built/easier to work on then the forester. lol

STI isnt even close to the same car its completely different and designed to be easy to work on. Thats what one of their big goals were when designing