PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE...Polaris Predator/My final review

RED121572
12-29-2002, 06:11 PM
I took a trip to Massillon, Ohio today and met up with "TRXMADDNESS". AKA, "Clutch" Him and I rode the trails for a total of about 6 hours Today.

A quick overview on the items that come with the Polaris. Its a DOHC, 500cc liquid cooled pwr plant. 42mm carb. Horse Power? Good question. Ive heard 36hp. Sounds about right. Ive read that the top speed is 76 mph. Yes, thats faster than the Raptor.
The quad actually has a fuel pump, no more bogging when climbing hills. An aftermarket axle. (the makers of the axle has yet to be verified. Although, I did hear that its one of Durablues.)

The Fox shock in the rear is double rate and totally adjustable. The front fox shocks are preload adjustable and is set up to add resse's if need be. It comes with steel braided brake lines. Grease zerks are everywhere. There is even one for the steering stem bushing. The handle bar controls have lights on them. (light switch, starter, kill button) Comes with Razors mounted on Douglas .190's. Headlites are adjustable. Working tail light. Chain adjustment is the same as the honda. The polaris has only two pinch bolts to mess with. Two oil drain plugs, both are magnetic.

The following info is compared to my EX which the suspension is totally stock....

The polaris is heavier. 43pds heavier to be exact. This is a problem when you need reverse and dont have it, then you have to get off and pull her back....shes a bit heavy for not having reverse. Or just pushing it around the garage, I find it kinda difficult to man handle it around. When your actually riding it, all the weight disappears.

The suspension is so good, I find that Im not man handlingthequad very much on the trails.

Take your 400 into a english corner at a pretty good lick. What happens? The inside tires come off the ground and your scooting to the inside and wrestling with the bars so you stay rubber side down. The Polaris has a tendency not to bring the inside wheels off the ground. Everything stays planted, your not wrestling with the bars and your less fatiqued. "Clutch", is far more experienced rider than I. On some of the twisty trails, I wouldnt be able to keep up with him in the corners if I was on my Honda. The Polaris is that good.

On the whoops, as long as I stood up and leaned back, the bike handled them very well. If felt like I could take them as fast as I wanted to. If I tried to balance my weight on the pegs, the bike would kick out one way or the other.

Im not a big jumper. You wont see me clearing a 20ft double. If I get four feet of air, Im happy.

I thought it jumped very well. Doesnt do anything wierd in the air. Feels easy to control. The landings are outstanding! (remember, all this info is being compared to the honda)
Its very plush. One time, I got a little worked up and flew offajump a bit sideways. Given the same situation on my Honda, I wouldve had a problem. I landed with a jolt, but when the machine landed, it stayed planted and didnt kick me off. For being so fat, it jumps superb!! The suspension is real forgiving. If you make a mistake like I do alot, it doesnt punish you. NOT having reverse is the punishment.

The seat is pretty good. The more forward you sit, the firmer it gets. If your cruising along and sit pretty far back, it feels like sofa cushion.

Now for things that I dont like...

The Razors. The fronts are great in the snow. Stuck to the trails like stinkon poop. The rears are a different story. As long as your going in a straight line they are acceptable. When taking a turn, they kick out and dont bite to my liking.

The annoying chain rattle. I havent figured out what exactly is causing that, but thats something I gotta fix or Im taking it back to the dealer.

The fact that its not as bottom end snappy as my Honda. But once midrange kicks in.....your in for a ride.

The choke. They mounted the pull out choke thing on the plastics in the middle of the bars. I cant quite pin point why exactly I dont like it there, but I know I just dont. lol

The rear grab bar. Who designed this? Is not good for anything. Its angled so bad, Im unable to drag the quad out of my truck by just using the grab bar w/o the ramps. Now, I have to set the ramps up and wheel the quad down. Not a huge deal, but takes more time to unload.

The swing arm. It performs very well, but it looks like its welded together using about five pieces of aluminum.

The oil tank is plastic, so is the swing arm skid. Yea, I thought the samething. "What the he**?" But, they are really heavy duty.....it would surprise you.

Next time I hit the trails, Im leaving the Honda behind. The polaris just doesnt beat me to death. It corners and takes all the hits with so much more finess.

Did I mention the hill climbing power? Not to worry, it has more than enough for anyone...well, maybe not for Tim Farr.

Hope you enjoyed my little review. Have any questions on something I might of missed or have any two cts youd like to share, I invite you to reply.

:D

jmoney45
12-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Very good info and a great post for someone thinking of buying a predator. I enjoy reading these types of posts that are unbiased and provide real information. Thanks!

Z400central
12-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Nice post! :) The thing about the chain noise is that it needs to be oiled A LOT....i heard each ride...:( Also heard to use motoroil for the chain to.

Ben
12-30-2002, 04:05 AM
Excellent review :)

Ben

RED121572
12-30-2002, 12:16 PM
Ive taken the time to downsize my pics so that the forum would accept them. Hope you enjoy them. Any questions or comments?

RED121572
12-30-2002, 12:16 PM

RED121572
12-30-2002, 12:17 PM

RED121572
12-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Steering bushing grease zerk.

RED121572
12-30-2002, 12:19 PM

TravEX
12-30-2002, 01:59 PM
GREAT review,,,lots of info,,,thanks!

dads400ex
12-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Hey good review, I have read were guys are flipping the grab bar over to lower it and make it more user friendly.
How do you like the placement of the pegs? Do they feel to far back when you set to the front of the seat?

dads400ex

RED121572
12-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Flipping the grab bar over. Now, thats an idea. Thanks. ill try it and post a response sometime.

Come to think of it, the pegs are further back than my Honda, but I didnt notice any real problems with em. Next time I ride, Ill pay close attention and reply back.

Rip_Tear
12-30-2002, 05:17 PM
Great Review! I dont like how the plastic is "Rough" I see what you mean about the grab bar! I somewhat dislike how polaris does that little tilt down with the pipe, just looks odd. I wish more quads came with GREASE ZERKS!

RED121572
12-30-2002, 05:55 PM
The plastics that come in contact with the inside of your thighs is rough. I like it cause it wont scratch, from jeans, riding pants, etc.

Maryland 400EX
12-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Excellent review!

Sparks425Ex
12-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
Excellent review!
Agreed.

RED121572
12-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Yesterday, I contacted Elka Suspension. They do sell shocks for the Predator. Im highly considering order fronts. Triple rates, sagging device, compression adj with remote ressie's for $820.

But first, Im waiting to hear back from Custom Axis to see if they offer a shock for the poopalaris yet.

Ill post back when I find out that info.

Benficachop
12-30-2002, 07:28 PM
I am telling you the predator suspention is not good

Benficachop
12-30-2002, 07:29 PM
I am telling you that i hate the suspention for the predator

RED121572
12-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Benficachop
I am telling you that i hate the suspention for the predator

All comments, suggestions and opinions are more than welcome. The more input we have will be better for all of us and to those considering spending there hard earned cash on one.

Instead of just saying you hate the suspension and leaving, you should take a bit more time and explain why exactly you didnt like it. What riding situation were you in that the suspension didnt live up to your expectations?

Dont be shy, give us some details to back up your thoughts.:D

Benficachop
12-30-2002, 07:59 PM
i Have riden them a few times and i think when i ride it is way to stiff i cant really explain it

12-30-2002, 08:04 PM
Put an aftermarket exhaust and filter on it,,,take it for a test run and let us know what ya think..:devil

RED121572
12-30-2002, 08:09 PM
I do have a uni filter on order. I ordered it the same day I picked up the bike...along with a repair manual.

The uni filters arent available until the first of the year. So, mines on back order. Ill give it a few more weeks. K&N already has theres out. If I run out of patients, Ill order from them.

OG350
12-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Wait for the trinity exhaust to come out and screw the wb slip on. Reason is I called harry to ask a ??? about my shee and I asked about the pred and he said the full system could be out at anytime.

RED121572
12-30-2002, 08:35 PM
Trinity? Hmmm. I dont know anything about Trinity exhaust. Ill research it. Thanks for the tip!

Fred55
12-31-2002, 02:58 PM
So you would DEFINENTLY suggest a Predator over a 400ex? Even considering the $1000 price difference?

Rip_Tear
12-31-2002, 04:05 PM
There has got to be a way bigger difference in price, the MSRP price may be $1000 difference, but I dont know a Honda dealer selling their 400ex's even close to as high as the MSRP price.

Fred55
12-31-2002, 04:24 PM
No i was talking about what the dealer quoted me. 4900 for the EX and 5999 for the pred.

RED121572
12-31-2002, 04:41 PM
4900 for an EX? That cheap. I bought mine for 5600.

No, Im not here to sell anything to anyone. I just wanted to share my new ride with everyone and give me review and thoughts. The predator is everything I want my EX to be.....and even more. I wanted my EX to be wider, longer, handle like a dream and be more powerful. The predator was the answer.

:D

Fred55
12-31-2002, 04:49 PM
So in your opinion, what would choose if you had minimal money for repairs, a 400ex or Predator? If you ride trails, jump, and play race?

RED121572
01-01-2003, 11:39 AM
I would invite anyone to take a serious look at the Predator. No dought the 400EX, the Z-400 and the KFX-400 are all great machines. Ive owed my 400 for three years and have ridin a Z-400. In my opinion, the Predator is the better buy.

12gofast
01-01-2003, 12:59 PM
I like what I see in the Polaris, but would like to ride one first.
And as far as the price I have been quated 5600 out the door.....not bad for all the little details on it.

Sure sucks that I bleed Honda red!!!!!!!!!

RED121572
01-01-2003, 01:42 PM
5600 out the door? Wow! Mine was 6200 out the door.

I got my Service manual for my Pooparlis yesterday. If there any Predator owners that dont want to spend the 45 bucks on one, Ill email a copy of it to you.:D

RED121572
01-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Heres a dune test between the Cannondale and the Predator.
Those of you that call Glamis your back yard, you might find this article interesting.

www.atvconnection.com

raptor_02
01-01-2003, 06:10 PM
I just read the article at www.atvconnection.com I was impressed with the Predator but the only dissapointment is its over 440cc. But if I were buying a quad just for dunes I believe I would choose the Predator over the Glamis just because of price. But if I were buying for motocross which is what I do I would rather have a DALE or a HONDA. The predator is a big machine and I don't think it will be very succesful in motocross. That's just my opinion.

12gofast
01-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Ridersville Cycle, Berkely Springs, WV.....you wont find a better price!!! I think they are selling for 5800.

They are the number 1 Polaris dealer in the US

http://www.geocities.com/tomahawkmxpark/Ridersville_Home

RED121572
01-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Another note about the Predator. Reading through the shop manual I found that there is a oil bypass just before the oil filter. In case the oil filter gets messed up, clogged or installed backward, the bypass will take over and oil will still flow normally through the motor. I thought that was cool. Never heard of anything like this before. Are there any other machines that offer this little trick?

Guy400
01-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
Another note about the Predator. Reading through the shop manual I found that there is a oil bypass just before the oil filter. In case the oil filter gets messed up, clogged or installed backward, the bypass will take over and oil will still flow normally through the motor. I thought that was cool. Never heard of anything like this before. Are there any other machines that offer this little trick? That's a pretty standard practice on most engines in case of total oil filter blockage.

RED121572
01-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Tonight was the first night I had seat time on the Poopalaris. I wanted to say that Im extremely impressed with the headlites. They shine far ahead and surprisely wide. Also, the lites illuminate the ground underneath the quad.

Also, the front fenders are positioned so that you can see alot of the front suspension while your riding. No more standing up and looking over the handle bars to see what your running over.

With that and the lites illuminating the ground, trail riding at night just got a whole lot more comfortable for me.

Tonight was the first time I really got a chance to put the hammer down. Even if you have no desire to own one, you gotta at least ride one to enjoy the acceleration.

Welp, my two weeks vacation are just about over. Back to the salt mine. Everyone have a good week back to work/school!:D

RED

RED121572
01-24-2003, 03:22 PM
For those of you following this thread, I would like to add just a quick note.....

I went to my dealer today to purchase PS-4 oil and a 155 Main jet for my Predator. The 155 main jet isnt even available until the end of febuary. The part numbers for the oil and main jets werent even in there computer.:huh Polaris does have the oil but my dealer must order it.

Seems strange that different main jets arent even available yet for the carb. Has anyone run into any other problems??

RED

powerslider
01-24-2003, 06:06 PM
You might try Carb Parts Warehouse or a DS dealer (the DS uses the same carb) I believe they take the small round style jets.

I finally pick my Predator up tomorrow.......

Dennis Kirk shows them in their catalog (jets)

NDpredator
01-24-2003, 07:00 PM
For everyone that is worried about the predator not jumping well or being too heavy, you'll change your mind the first time you jump it. It is very contollable in the air, and lands like a dream. If you wanna question its power, it revs like a 2 stroke, and pulls hard all the way through the powerband.

RED121572: If you are looking to re-jet you shouldn't have any problems getting the jets. It takes the small-round jets. I'm running a 165 main jet, WB slip-on, and have the air box modded.

I haven't gotten a chance yet to run against a raptor or ds650 yet, but i can tell you that a good friend of mine(DESDAK4) has a 400ex with all sorts of mods and he can't keep that Honda even close to me when we take off.:D

DESDAK4
01-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Now Now I can stay there until 3rd and then it is all over he never does really get away per say but I aint catching him. But I will tell you it is a nice quad. I actually think I would be close enough to be happy if I got some motor mods. Hopefully it will warm up before long so we can really run them and see what you are made of:macho

Jay
USAF

NDpredator
01-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Jay,
Well you know it's supposed to warm up by next weekend so i guess i'll really have to unleash the predator then. I just hope that I finally got my jetting right, so I can see just how fast it really will pull from you. But to be honest, it's not who has the fastest quad, it's the fact that we're all out there riding together and just having a great time.

DERRICK

DESDAK4
01-25-2003, 07:46 AM
You are so right and the group is just getting bigger and bigger. Are you guys coming out for the game tomorrow?

Jay
USAF

Rip_Tear
01-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Well, I just read the Shoot Out in "Atv Action" with the Predator, Z400 and the 660R Raptor. Predator got second, Z got first... Raptor 3rd, because it has spoungy suspension, and a high CoG.
Predator, No reverse, heavy, abysmal shifting, and other little things(plastics etc)
The Z400 took it for the reasons it has been winning, they don't complain about the axle any more, the new ones are fine. Its not the fastest but everything else is right about it... Lap times were pretty close... It worth the read.

NDpredator
01-25-2003, 01:15 PM
It doesn't surprise me that "ATV Action" doesn't like the predator. It's a polaris and they just don't like the fact the it's the best all around sport quad out right now. I don't want to take anything away from the Z, cuz it's an awesome machine, but the predator is just undeniably better. Sure my predator doesn't have reverse, but neither does the 400ex, and noone complains about that. A true sport quad doesn't need reverse, it would be a waste. Yeah it does weight 415lbs, which i believe is about 40 more pounds than the 400ex, but my buddy rides a 400 and when you go from my quad to his you don't even notice a difference. They are both pretty easy to just pick up and move whereever you want them. So I have to disagree with them being heavy. When i first got my predator I will tell you that it was hard to get into neutral, but it shifted smooth from gear to gear and never made any funny noises or anything like that. Now that i've logged a few more hours on it, it is just as easy to shift as the 400ex(i know cuz i rode DESDAK4's). A person is always gonna be able to put down the plastic on this machine or that, but it's more personal preference than anything. I like the plastic on my pred, but that's just me. I also like the fact that it will hide a scratch very well. All in all I would think that the new predator is the best new sport quad for the money. It's as close to race ready as any quad could be without dumping thousands of dollars in it, and i just hope that you get the pleasure of taking one for a ride sometime(not one from the dealership, one that's already been broken in so you can see just how this quad really is).

Derrick

RED121572
01-25-2003, 05:36 PM
In case a few of you havent seen this, I found this a few minutes ago...

Predator owners, just a quick tip. If you havent done so, take a tape measure and make sure your front shocks are tuned the same. There was a half turn difference from one shock to the other on my machine.

440exnacsracer
01-25-2003, 10:38 PM
nice review on the predators guys...i love mine. one thing though...derrick, how did you mod your airbox?..did you cut the hole in the back like rath racing did? lata

NDpredator
01-26-2003, 10:15 AM
440exnacsracer:
Yes to mod my airbox I cut the 2"x3" hole in the very back of it. Then i glued velcro strips all around the hole. I cut and outerwear cover that I already had down to size and then just sewed the velcro strips from the original sized outerwear cover to my new 2"x3" outerwear cover. I also removed my snorkel. You do seem to notice a little difference, and now I am running a 165 main jet w/ the needle fully raised(clip in the 5th position).

DERRICK

I'll try to post a pic of the airbox soon.

DESDAK4
01-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Yeah it only took Derrick and I a few minutes to do the airbox mod on his Predator. He just made his outerwears out of the one I used to run on my 400ex until I swaped to my new airbox. I am sure it gave it allot more power.

Jay
USAF

Desert Rat
01-27-2003, 03:46 PM
I looked at and rode all the new machines except the honda "phantom" that nobody can seem to find yet. I ride l lot of dunes and the best bang for my buck was the Predator. A lot of little goodies that you like to put on them are already there. I picked it up Saturday and have no real gripes yet. The chain rattles a bit, but that should be an easy fix. The shocks were a little stiff on the factor setting, but that was easy to fix. I'm going try to flip the dumb grab bar over tonight (good suggestion) and the should change the bend on the flag mount tab toward the back. Its bent forward too much and the flag likes to do a tap dance on your helmet. Road it around "easy" on some fire roads over the weekend to break it in a bit and I'm impressed so far. I thought it might feel big but it feels about the same as my 400ex. Can't hardly waite to open her up. I'm going to order the Polaris slip on and open up the air box and rejet it by next weekend I hope. I read you guys put a 165 main jet in it and the needle on the top clip after the your mods. Did you get jets from Polaris or somebody like Rath Racing? I read the Rath has airbox mod kits and K&N's with outerwears for it. They claimed the intake mods and Pure Polars slip on will raise the horse power from the low 40's to low 50's. Cheap horse power gains. Has anybody talked to them? I would like to get Jets from about 160 to 170 or so. I'm at 4,500 elevation. What elevation are you at that the 165 main and needle on the top clip works best. Thanks and have a good one!

ThorChick
01-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Awesome review! I've been thinking about getting one ever since I read the first article on the Predator back when it was still a prototype. I have been riding for a little over a year and currently own a 300ex that just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Its a nice trail machine but doesn't have the speed or hp I want. I've ridden banshees, raptors, blasters, warriors, 250Rs, and a 400ex just to name a few. The stock 400 didn't really impress me alot cause my 300 is decently modified and is probably almost as fast as one. I like the speed of of the banshees and 250Rs but don't like the peakiness for trails. The raptor was a pretty nice machine but sat way too high and made it seem like at any moment with the slightest turn of the handlebars I could tip over. I want something with the speed of a raptor but almost the seat height of my 300 and the reliability of it as well. Would you recommend the Pedator to me?

NDpredator
01-28-2003, 06:43 AM
DESERT RAT: I don't think that Polaris was lying about these mods having the polaris making horsepower #'s in the low 50's. I had mine dynoed at 51.8hp, I only wish that I had the slip to prove it to everyone. Currently i'm running a 165 main jet and if you look strait at the needle the clip is in the 5th position from the top, this way the needle is fully raised. My elevation is around 2,000 ft. I hope that this helps you.

THORCHICK: I think that the predator might be what you're looking for. It has the same seat height as my friends 400ex and it never feels tippy. In fact i've tried to turn it too sharp at speed and i can't get it to come up on 2 wheels. It's just got the perfect center of balance to it. I can't speak for reliability because it's still a new quad, but i haven't had any problems with mine yet. Also though, there was so much time and thought that went into building this thing that I think it'll be reliable.

DERRICK

DESDAK4
01-28-2003, 07:04 AM
Now Derrick you do have that little gas problem (can't keep any in it:eek: ). It is a very nice quad and handles very well if I was in the market for a new one it would be at the top of the list for sure.

Jay
USAF

NDpredator
01-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Now c'mon Jay. You know that i didn't take off with a full tank that day. The next time we go out i'll fill it to the brim and we'll see just how much gas it sucks down. Besides, I didn't run out until I got back to your garage.

DERRICK

DESDAK4
01-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Yeah I just have to laugh the ole honda is so easy on gas.

Jay
USAF

spincr4hire
01-28-2003, 09:38 AM
I saw a Predator for the first time at the dealership the other day. I didn't like them in the pics, but I was impressed with them in person, sweet looking quad!:devil

NDpredator
01-28-2003, 11:22 AM
I just took this from another forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Here is a little somethia little about me, been watching this and other forums for a couple of years and don't normaly write in. been a mech all my life and had a shop of my own for 13 years, still ride jap bikes and race a yz and have a couple of polarises. i live 20 miles form where the preditors are built and by nature am skeptical about stuff till i see how it stuff works. they have been at a local private riding area for some testing mid summer where our club rides, but didn't see it run against anything else this weekend we had our annual ice challenage at the iowa geat lakes, which is a timed event on a course about the size of a football field. doesn't sound like much but you would be suprised at the speeds you can obtain on a properly set up ice machine.

1st, a lagered framed yz426f flattracker, 2nd a piped and jetted 400ex that runs good for stock, lowered with right tires, swaybar ect,3rd a preditor that had the preload backed off so much that when off the ground the springs where littler flopping around. not right way to lower something and keep it flat in the corneres.he put a aftermarket muffler off a rc51 honda streetbike v twin crotch rocket on it. also, to be fair in the back he had only about 1/3 of the studs he needed but probley didn't matter because he didn't have a swaybar and was having problems keeping it flat in the corners anyhow. there where 26 entries with alittle of everthing including suzukies and raptors, one ds650.

we also had a timed 300ft long start to stop race and the preditor was only of .01 from the 426 which won and he also ran even with a studded up yz426f bike. these guys that beat him also ice race weekly about 100 miles away from here and they do know what they are doing.
the pred is faster then the suzuki and raptor.

like i said i don't usually talk on these forums but though you guys might be interested in this. also
the guy racing the pred used to roadrace but hasen't done any for 11 years and has never been on the ice till this year and is 49 years old.

Mitch400EX
01-29-2003, 08:24 PM
The predators are impressive quads. The predator took top honors in the dirtwheels shootout (at least on the MX track). They even liked it better than the dale!! The steering linkage is genius, lining up the pivot points on the ball joints with the pivot points of the A-arms. They also got the right idea with the fully adjustable shocks all the way around, steel braided brake lines, HD axle, lots of power etc etc. Looks like the frame geometry is similar to a widened 400 with a slightly longer swingarm. All of this for about the same price as a Z or a Raptor. If I had 6 grand to spend I would seriously consider a predator.

RED121572
01-31-2003, 03:41 PM
Somewhere in this vast forum, I posted a response lastnight and said that the 400EX tires will bolt on my Predator. Thats what my dealer told me anyways....

....well, they dont. I went to bolt them on this morning for a little snow riding and the hubs are much larger and the Honda's.:mad:

powerslider
01-31-2003, 04:12 PM
I new that, it's too bad they don't interchange. I may invest in a set of Rath hubs when they become available providing the price is reasonable. I may try the Scrambler hubs on the Pred axle to see if they fit.

RED121572
01-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by powerslider
I new that, it's too bad they don't interchange. I may invest in a set of Rath hubs when they become available providing the price is reasonable. I may try the Scrambler hubs on the Pred axle to see if they fit.

Cool man, keep us updated on what you find out.:D

TravEX
01-31-2003, 04:17 PM
hmmm, i thought that i read in DW taht the bolt patterns were the same,,,dang,,,,

powerslider
01-31-2003, 04:25 PM
Will do, Hey Red, possibly a mid-April trip to Silver Lake. You interested????

RED121572
01-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by powerslider
Will do, Hey Red, possibly a mid-April trip to Silver Lake. You interested????

Yes sir!!:D

When you have a date set ( I need a few weeks advance notice), let me know and Ill mark my calender......and we are there!!

RED121572
01-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Oh,

Can you pass along any rules and regulations that I may need to know in order to be legal in Silver lake?

powerslider
01-31-2003, 04:46 PM
I'll let ya know as soon as things are finalized, waiting on the couple from Conesville to let me know. I'm trying to squeak an extra day out of them so we can trail ride a day a little further north where I ride alot, it will be worth it.

As far as SL you need a spark arrested exhaust and a Michigan orv sticker, they didn't seem to check exhaust noise levels from what I've read last year so hopefully that will continue this year. I'll keep ya posted........

RED121572
01-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Cool beans, thanks!

SLB400EX
02-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Hey there RED121572...the couple Slider is referring would be me..umm, well, I mean I'm one half of the couple he's referring too. ;) I'm the better half.. lol. (don't tell Rob I said that....)
Slider gave me the heads up that you are wanting to go play in the sand also..COOL.
We'll get a date set here SOON, you'll have plenty of notice...

Just wanted to say HEY..

Sher

RED121572
02-02-2003, 09:53 AM
I just found this........

powerslider
02-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Just FYI the Scrambler rear hubs do fit the Predator axle, I swapped them out today so I can use the Scrambler paddles if I take it to the dunes. I'm planning on taking the R right now but that could always change......;)

ecarl357
02-02-2003, 05:43 PM
I have an HMF slip-on on my Pred. I am very happy with it The fit and finish is excellent. One thing is for sure, it puts alot of sound. It seemed to add alot to the midrange of the bike. Let me know if you are interested in one, I have a friend that is going to open up a performance shop soon and could probably give you the best price around.
Eric

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
02-02-2003, 05:56 PM
hey I am in Ohioland am I invited too?

RED121572
02-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by ecarl357
I have an HMF slip-on on my Pred. I am very happy with it The fit and finish is excellent. One thing is for sure, it puts alot of sound. It seemed to add alot to the midrange of the bike. Let me know if you are interested in one, I have a friend that is going to open up a performance shop soon and could probably give you the best price around.
Eric

Thanks man, ill keep you in mind.:D

SGA
02-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Very good reviews! I have been keeping up with whats going on with the pedators. Overall, its a fine quad. About the only real complaints I have heard is, and these are easy fixes, 1) The carb vent tube is too low, if you go through water, it sputters and dies. Raise it up. 2) The shocks are stiff. That works out with some break in riding time, and adjusting to a softer setting, if needed. 3) The gear shifter is angled wrong. If you try to adjust it for more comfort, it hits the frame. Aftermarket shifter with correct bend?
I have read about 30 honest reviews from predator owners, it seems to be a great quad. I pay no mind to the brand bashers that have posted. One thing I have noticed, Change the oil at the first recommended time! The predator engine is built with very tight tolorences, and every owner noticed silver flakes in the oil at the first change. From what I have read, this is ok, just the engine bearings and such seating, maybe in combination with the break in oil. There have been no complaints about engine noise.
Get out and enjoy that new ride!

lil400exman
02-04-2003, 09:03 AM
i am goiing to silver lake this summer and i am meeting a group up there we cold all possibly meet up i got a 88250r thats actually a 275r think i could keep up everyone else is running 440's in there ex's up there and they have raptors too.............i was thinkin may at least cause the r iss cold blooded.......

02-04-2003, 07:10 PM
it is kinda funny, i live in michigan and havebeen riding for 3 years and have never been to silver lake. i guess i should take advantage of this. Iwill this summer. me and my friend are taking a road trip. cant wate. from what i heard tho they are extreamly strict

440exnacsracer
02-10-2003, 08:38 PM
whats the lowest price he can get me a hmf slip on for a predator for? lata
Ben

Rapture Rules
02-11-2003, 06:21 AM
I have heard that the Preditor has more powere then the Raptor but in every shoot out the Raptor has beaten it in the drags, hill climbing and everything relating to power, I do believe that the suspension is that good but I don't believe the power is is great as it has been bragged about. Do you think it would out run the Raptor

Z400central
02-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Thought Id jump in here, and let ya know about a new site thats just opened! Its for the Predator to! :) You can click on my signature, or go to http://www.pred500central.com , let me know what you think! :)

RED121572
02-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Rapture Rules
I have heard that the Preditor has more powere then the Raptor but in every shoot out the Raptor has beaten it in the drags, hill climbing and everything relating to power, I do believe that the suspension is that good but I don't believe the power is is great as it has been bragged about. Do you think it would out run the Raptor

Polaris claims that it will. Ive read in other places that it does. Ive also read in places that it does not.

Like many of you, Ive seen a video of a Predator beat a cannondale in an uphill sand drag. How does the cannondale match up to a raptor?

In stock form, this info would tell me that the predator and raptor are very close in pwr.

RED

Guy400
02-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by RED121572
Polaris claims that it will. Ive read in other places that it does. Ive also read in places that it does not.

Like many of you, Ive seen a video of a Predator beat a cannondale in an uphill sand drag. How does the cannondale match up to a raptor?

In stock form, this info would tell me that the predator and raptor are very close in pwr.

RED I guess it's going to depend on who's riding them. Here's an article about a Glamis 440 (exact same as Speed but with paddles) vs. a Predator.
http://www.atving.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/Glamis-440-vs-Predator.cfm