PDA

View Full Version : Running Way Too Hot!!

3x440ex
12-29-2002, 05:54 PM
i just installed my 440 last week and spent all week breaking it in.....i never let it get too hot before shutting it down and letting it cool completely. Today i changed the oil and re ajusted the valves then i took it to the track and rode it normal for about 20 or 30 min. when i got back to my truck i realized i was running way too hot, the engine was hot as a fring pan.....anyways i'm running 11.1 compression on the piston and was useing cam2 during the break in but today i just put regular 93 oct. in it. could that be why it got so hot or could it be the valves. my main jet size is 170 but the plug seems to look ok..any help would be appreciated...thanks

RED121572
12-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Fredericksburg? I grew up there! Where is there to ride in ole F'burg??

Anyways, Ive heard 440's run real warm. My mods are pretty mild, but the temps on my quad went up a bit.

To solve my heat problem, I installed air scoups, pingry oil tank and wrapped the header in header wrap.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

3x440ex
12-29-2002, 06:42 PM
there's a ton of places to ride but a guy just built a track out here of 95 and 17 last year, that's where most people ride now..

thanks for the advise....i'm gonna start looking for air scoops tomorrow. i just didn't know if it was normal for it to run that hot...it was so hot it didn't even want to idle.:huh

cals400ex
12-30-2002, 01:15 PM
i was told the 440's really get hot. i would make sure the jetting is not lean. your 42 pilot seems ok. as for the main i really don't know. you could try moving the needle up(clip down) to richen that up. i would have to agree that a bigger oil tank would be a good mod. also mine had a problem when doing some slow trail riding overheating and mine is stock. i realized that my idle was just way too high. when breaking in, it may run a little hotter also. i would run the bike through all of the gears but not be to heavy on the gas while breaking in. this may sound like a no brainer but make sure you have the correct amount of oil in now. i always run 15w-50 mobil 1 and it seems to help. make sure you don't break the bike in with synthetic though. one other suggestion you could try is running the ngk dpr9z plug. it is a cooler running plug, but it is tougher to start the bike with. i can run it in winter and still start the bike but it is harder. this plug also makes the bike sputter a little more when the engine is cold. after the bike warms up, it works great for me.

Maryland 400EX
12-30-2002, 01:57 PM
You need 1) a larger oil cooler and 2)a larger oil tank. Those BS scoops probably wouldn't hurt.

3x440ex
12-30-2002, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys..........i think what might be making it run so hot is the fact that i'm running two base gaskets. I was reading in ex teck where Mickey Dunlap said" The most important thing when buying a 440 kit is to get your deck height right so you have a good quench area around the outside of the piston to keep it running cool and to have a good flame travel across the top of the piston for an efficient burn rate"......so anyways i'm gonna remove the two base gaskets, buy a larger oil cooler and scoopes and let you all know how it does.

Predator36
12-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I have seen a lot of problems with 440 11/1 pistons when run on pump gas. It is well worth the expense to run CamII purple race gas in it.

3x440ex
12-30-2002, 07:47 PM
yeah i think you're right about the cam2... plus you gotta love that smell:p

RED121572
12-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey 3x,

Go down to your local walmart or hardware store and purchase a digital meat thermometer. Before dismantling your quad, ride for awhile, then take an oil temp. Post the temp here. I keep close tabs on my oil temp and Im very curious to know what temp your quad is running. If you do go to all the trouble, please post the outside temp as well.

3x440ex
12-30-2002, 08:06 PM
yeah i can that....it's supposed to rain the next couple days but as soon as i get the temps i'll post em.

Nausty
12-30-2002, 08:09 PM
also if you go to www.fourstroketech.com they make a aftermarket oil cooler which i heard helps a lot.

3x440ex
01-07-2003, 09:17 PM
well i tore it down today and found that the bottom of the sleeve had a crack in it:grr .......i'm not sure how that happened but i ordered a new stock cylinder and piston from honda. i should have it by next week. i know it won't be as fast but at least it will be reliable.:blah

Steven
01-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Oh thats too bad.

My 440 liked the 180 main jet with the air box lid off. I stuck the piston with the 175 main jet. What I'm getting at is jetting, perhaps it was too lean and got to hot..

I see that you bought new OEM parts already... thats a shame. Why not retry the 440. You just need the sleeve and piston then. Lots of 440s last a long time.

Anyway you can make a nice relaibale 416 with the OEM parts and a good piston.

Steve

3x440ex
01-11-2003, 03:45 PM
O.K. I got the stock cylinder and piston put on, and took it out today to break it in. when i checked the plug it was white with a 170 main, so i went up and bought a 175,180,and a 185 and all three of them were too lean the 185 helped but not much, it turned it from white to a light grey. check out my mods below, and if you can help me out, i would appreciate it alot.

some changes to my mods are.......stock bore, stock compression and i forgot to mention i have a W/B full exhaust, no air box lid.

yellow_ho_01
01-11-2003, 08:27 PM
anyone have any thoughts...?

Steven
01-11-2003, 09:55 PM
I would increase the main untill it blubs then go down one size. You will be safe there.

Try a different brand of gasoline for a better plug reading.

shaneb
01-12-2003, 09:31 AM
it sounds like you are most likely lean on the low end and mid range ...

Just go up on the main until it is too rich ...

Then do the same with the needle and pilot ....

I run a 200 in my 41mm fcr

Shane

3x440ex
01-12-2003, 03:19 PM
that's a sweet 440 you got there.......i noticed you and i have the same exhaust. i asume you are running no air box lid. is you head flowed? and what cam are you running?

i'm gonna check the rubber boot between the carb and the cylinder for leaks and if that shows negative then i'm gonna try larger jets.

someone told me that a moving to a lower compression piston is gonna demand more fuel.......is that true?

thanks for the help.

3x440ex
01-13-2003, 10:30 AM
fixed it!!:p .........i checked the boot, no leaks, so i went up to a 200 main and that did it. i thought for sure a 200 would be too fat. It must be the head work that's making it draw so much fuel.

thanks for all the help..