PDA

View Full Version : whats the best valve clearance for stage 1 HOTCAM ?

HOT-ROD
12-29-2002, 04:41 PM
intake .004 ? exaust .006 ? this will be a new cam. any pointers ?

Predator36
12-29-2002, 06:01 PM
.002 on both intake and exhuast.

frogburner
12-29-2002, 06:05 PM
You on CRACK or are you stupid...

Desert400EX
12-29-2002, 07:31 PM
I'd say that unless you have something to contribute, that you're the one on crack. You can't make a statement like that without backing yer ***** up!

--Peace Out

frogburner
12-29-2002, 07:38 PM
Do you think your the king of 400's???? Can you ride or do you even ride,,,, Try it,,, see what that kinda valve clearance will do to ya,,, try it,, I dont want to hear your ***** and I dont think anybody else does either,,, Go ahead and quote me,,,, I'm ready to go riding with ya anytime CHUMP!!!

BadA$$440
12-29-2002, 07:50 PM
i believe its .005 intake, and .006 exhaust.

Desert400EX
12-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by frogburner
Do you think your the king of 400's???? Can you ride or do you even ride,,,, Try it,,, see what that kinda valve clearance will do to ya,,, try it,, I dont want to hear your ***** and I dont think anybody else does either,,, Go ahead and quote me,,,, I'm ready to go riding with ya anytime CHUMP!!!

Are you on some power or what? :huh: I didn't claim to know ****, but I do know that if you are going to jump someones case then back it up with information. You can call names all day, but what's the point? The guy asked a question, it got answered by some one, and you jump on here talking a bunch of **** then leave. If you are so damn smart and know the answer, why couldn't you just be helpful and post it rather than spread hate and discontent? :confused:

Methinks that someone got dumped on by thier S/O. :rolleyes:

BadA$$440
12-30-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Desert400EX

Are you on some power or what? :huh: I didn't claim to know ****, but I do know that if you are going to jump someones case then back it up with information. You can call names all day, but what's the point? The guy asked a question, it got answered by some one, and you jump on here talking a bunch of **** then leave. If you are so damn smart and know the answer, why couldn't you just be helpful and post it rather than spread hate and discontent? :confused:

Methinks that someone got dumped on by thier S/O. :rolleyes:

Well you arent being to damn helful yourself. Predator gave WRONG measurements on purpose and if HOT ROD adusted his valves to .002 like Predator said, then he would have messed up his engine bad. I got Frogburners back on this one. Predator deserves to be yelled at for being so stupid.

YZROOSTINYA
12-30-2002, 09:16 AM
i am running .005 intake and .006 exhaust for the stage 2.

i run at high rpm alot and per tony AT hotcam this is what we felt would be the best set up. the stock reccomend .006 and .008 for all out constant racing.

i would go with .004 and .005 or .005 and .006, either one will suit you fine. i would prefer might set up if you are a aggressive rider. the motor will be hottor and this will allow for any clearance issues.

i have 35 hours on mine so far with no probs

Desert400EX
12-30-2002, 10:13 AM
This is information that was also pertinent to me, which is why I feel the way I do. I have/had no idea what the measurement should be, and therefore, if someone is going to tell me, I'm gonna listen. It's pretty messed up that someone would give bad information, but if you know it's bad, why not post correct information. Otherwise you just sound like an ***.

Thanks for the heads up!

--Phillip

YZROOSTINYA
12-30-2002, 10:15 AM
also dont let it idle and ride it above 3k rpm for 2 mins, i did two heat cycles of ten minutes since i did a piston at the same time

Desert400EX
12-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Do these instructions come with the cam?

Predator36
12-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Bad*****440

Well you arent being to damn helful yourself. Predator gave WRONG measurements on purpose and if HOT ROD adusted his valves to .002 like Predator said, then he would have messed up his engine bad. I got Frogburners back on this one. Predator deserves to be yelled at for being so stupid.

Sorry to upset any one but I recieved those specs from one of the top engine builders and have used that spec with both my Web cam and now my Hotcam with no problem since fall of 1998. I am sure if you call Tony at Hotcams he will tell you that it will not cause any engine damage.

The reason for running larger clearance is to give your valves more room for wear before they need to be adjusted. When your valve clearance is too tight the engine will simply not start unless the bike is pull started when the engine is cold. Once the engine is hot the head expands which gives you more valve clearance and the engine may than start with the starter alone.

If you question the info I give that is your privalage and what makes this a great country.

God Bless America and the freedom of speech.

Predator36
12-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
also dont let it idle and ride it above 3k rpm for 2 mins, i did two heat cycles of ten minutes since i did a piston at the same time

This is very good advise.

Desert400EX
12-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

Ok, just for clearification...

1) Don't let it Idle.
2) DO ride it above 3K RPMS

OR IS IT

1) Don't let it idle.
2) DONT ride it above 3K RPMS

:confused:

(My theory is it's the First One....

BadA$$440
12-30-2002, 11:57 AM
When you first start it up wether it be idling/or riding, try to keep it above 3,000 rpms

hotex
12-30-2002, 01:11 PM
The cam card in the box will have the info you are asking for. The break-in period on a new camshaft and old rocker arms are critical. These cams are more aggressive than the stock cams by a considerable margin and delicate break-in is needed to ensure you a long life for the new cam and your old rockers. Be sure to follow the directions on the cam card and for break-in. The two 20 minutes sessions of run time above 3000 rpm is good advice, except, 3 of those sessions would be better. Then change your oil and reset the valve clearances to the cam card. Just ride it gently, no idling, no WOT, no lugging it, no over-rev. Be kind.

Tony

YZROOSTINYA
12-30-2002, 01:53 PM
DONT let it idle

DO ride above 3k RPM

i rode mine for 10 mins then let it cool completely, start over for 10 mins. then changed oil and checked valves

USE NON SYNTHETIC OIL FOR BREAK_IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(like the first 20 hours)

i then cooled down and rode for 20 mins slightly harder after i adjusted jetting, mostly 2-3 gear varrying rpms alot, never stay the same r's

cool down

same again, 30 mins harder

cool down

30 mins harder, short full throttle sprints in 2-3

cool down

30 mins agian hitting 4th wide open a bit

by 3 hours i was using all gears wide open.

5 hours change oil. filter check valves , jetting, bolts fully broken in

35 hours, no smoke, oil consumption, runs awesome, no probs

i put on air scoops and now i run hp4 10w-40

400ex00
01-01-2003, 08:28 PM
i adjusted my valves to the .006 and .008 settings like the card
advised. i tried running the .005 and .006 but the motor seemed
to level out early and when i changed my settings its fine now. one thing i will say is that you should remember that the cam is a solid lift. and you should try to run as close to the reccomended specs as possible if not you will be losing power. you will notice some valve chatter with the loser setting but if youve ever been around many moded solid lift motors they all have that. i have been building race cars for a long time and that .002 adjustment is crap that will cause engine damage. maybe the guy just made a mistake though. but either of the listed above settings will work i just prefer the reccomended ones.