PDA

View Full Version : getting an axle for the R

albertp86
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking about replacing my stock axle with aftermarket, possibly rpm, durablu, or loanstar. Does anyone know what the weight differance is with getting an aftermarket? Does it shave alot of weight ? I really would like of get one for something other then just the apperance of a cool axle.

Any idea of what brand I might want to go with. I just do alot of duning, moderate amount of jumping.

Honda 250r 001
03-29-2009, 08:30 PM
i doubt it would make your quad lighter, because its longer, i bet its actually heavier than stock. but they help a bunch. and they look great too. lonestars and durablues have lifetime warrenties against bending or breaking. which is a pretty good deal imo.

BERT306
03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I got a brand new G Force +4 for a 400ex for 180. Had to use 400 hubs and the nuts that hold them on, other than that its the same. Lifetime warranty also.

k265r
03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
what type of riding do ypu do?

albertp86
03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I ride mostly sand dunes.

k265r
03-29-2009, 10:12 PM
could try a jj and a alluminum axle dont know how they hold up to jumping. I like the lone star axcalibur axle or the rpm dominator they have nice chrome finishes. I would go with their xc axle shold be alittle lighter than the mx versions.

jcs003
03-30-2009, 05:38 AM
lonestar is the way to go. durabue sucks, they bend too easy.

Honda 250r 001
03-30-2009, 07:15 AM
have you had any personal experience with the durablue? i have heard that the X-33 is the best on the market.

Aceman
03-30-2009, 07:37 AM
I've never heard "Durablue" and "best" in the same sentence. I have heard LSR, RPM and maybe Team though.

love2rideatvs27
03-30-2009, 08:13 AM
check out this website. They tested the G Force, Laegers, Lonestar, Durablue, RPM and Team axles.
http://www.team-rpm.com/axle_strength_test.htm

kiesta00
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I'd go with the JJ and A play axle, which is 34" long. It is not gun drilled like their drag axles so you still have the strength of a solid piece of billet aluminum. And much lighter than a stock axle, plus they look nice.

JJ and A racing (http://www.jjandaracing.com/)

jcs003
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
have you had any personal experience with the durablue? i have heard that the X-33 is the best on the market.

yes i have and the axle bent from just rolling backwards on a hill and hitting a tree(about 7 feet it rolled).

mcboomport
03-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Man, Aluminum axles scare the crap out of me. Does anyone on here run them? I'm interested on how they hold up for you guys.

JJandA is a few miles from my work. Super rad guy! He could make anything billet you wanted for your bike I'm sure. If I could recommend any aluminum axle, it would be that one.

I have a dominator axle it's awesome. It doesnt have as good of a finish as some of the others.

pdxbigfoot
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Brad at RPM is money!!!
These guys have great customer service, knowledge and most of all put out a strong sexy axle that they stand behind.
I ran into a problem with my LSR hubs not matching their splines and Brad had me ship them to him and they modified the hubs to fit their axle at no charge.
The only way to go in my opinion.
Jason

deathman53
03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
get a rpm, lonestar or team axle. Could be the last axle you will buy. Those really light axles aren't worth it, axle, even in sand dunes take axles alot of abuse. You have a extended front end to match the axle? A extended axle and stock width front end can make for some weird handling. In general, your front end should be as or just a tab bit wider then the rear.

wilkin250r
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't be looking to save weight on your axle, that's not an area you want to sacrifice strength. The aluminum axles are lighter, but they're really designed for drag racing where weight is more important than strength.

RPM seems to get the highest rating from those types of riders that have bent several axles. Lonestar is very good, and durablue comes in last. G-force seems to be more of a recreational, economy axle, I don't know too many racers that run that one through the ringer.

However, if you ride dunes and occasionally jump, I would say that ANY steel axle would work just fine for you. If you can get a G-force for half the price of a RPM axle, I say go with it.