PDA

View Full Version : recoil start?

demon rider
03-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Well as any 2 bit knows the 06 outlaw comes only with electric start. Now I have a problem with my battery and I just wish I had a recoil start system, such as a kick start. Is there anyway I can install one on the outlaw?

birdman7389
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by demon rider
Well as any 2 bit knows the 06 outlaw comes only with electric start. Now I have a problem with my battery and I just wish I had a recoil start system, such as a kick start. Is there anyway I can install one on the outlaw?
Never heard of one. Just fix your "battery system", there can only be so many things wrong.....

demon rider
03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I know my problem is my battery. However I think it is a stupid idea to sell a bike with only an electric start and I would like to find a way to put a kick start on the bike.

birdman7389
03-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by demon rider
I know my problem is my battery. However I think it is a stupid idea to sell a bike with only an electric start and I would like to find a way to put a kick start on the bike.
Bewteen my Predator, Outlaw, Honda Interceptor and OLD Yamaha 600 street bike, never a problem with electric starting.

I imagine it can be done, but its gonna be $$.

Spend $30 on a battery tender and forget about it. :D

demon rider
03-29-2009, 07:22 PM
$$ are a bit tight being a student but im going for a work term this summer and will get pretty good pay for it. The battery tender would not be such a bad idea if it was easier to get to the battery on the outlaw. The front plastic on her is just annoying truing to go back on.

FiveTwentyFive
03-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Demon Rider,

The plastic does not need to come off. The positive post near the nose for your positive lead and any bare metal on the engine for the negative lead will charge your beast. :cool:

birdman7389
03-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by FiveTwentyFive
Demon Rider,

The plastic does not need to come off. The positive post near the nose for your positive lead and any bare metal on the engine for the negative lead will charge your beast. :cool:

yup. Thats what I do.

TYLER329
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Stupid to not have a back up recoil starter? I want to be there when you try to pull start that thing and it rips your arm off. Make sure you get it on youtube.

demon rider
03-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Well I already stated id prefer the kick start over the pull but in the mean time if you think thats bad you should see the old steam engine up to my school. To get that old timer up and running you got to manually roll the flywheel until she catches...............and when she catches you get your hands out of the way quick or you loose them.

400exrider720
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by TYLER329
Stupid to not have a back up recoil starter? I want to be there when you try to pull start that thing and it rips your arm off. Make sure you get it on youtube.
Its actually not a bad idea. the sportsmans have them. My dad has one and trust me we have had to pull that thing over a few times. I will admit its a PITA and some times it will pull you right back in, but it works.

cmitchell79
03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
The battery tender I have came with a harness for the battery, all I have to do is plug it in. Only the smaller bore Sportsmans came with a recoil start.

sleddog66
03-31-2009, 04:27 AM
Tyler, it can't be as bad as pulling over the 800 and 900 cc sleds on a 25 below zero morning. I've done that a million times, and it can be tough sometimes. That is the ONLY way to start many of these high HP sleds.

Another option on the outlaw is to push start.

demon rider
03-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Nice point with the sleds man

TYLER329
03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Two stroke sleds are indeed much easier to pull over than four strokes but I see what you are saying. If you pull start a Sportsman 500 or military 700 and it catches on the wrong cycle you cant let go quick enough. It is more about compression ratio than cc size from what i have experienced.

birdman7389
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by sleddog66
Tyler, it can't be as bad as pulling over the 800 and 900 cc sleds on a 25 below zero morning. I've done that a million times, and it can be tough sometimes. That is the ONLY way to start many of these high HP sleds.

Another option on the outlaw is to push start.

My sled knowledge is lacking, but arenet those 2 or 3 cylinders?

demon rider
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
most are 2, but a few of the real rockets are tripples

2-330s
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
660 grizley comes with a pull start back up you just have to make sure it's at tdc when you give it a pull:eek2:

Bradracer18
04-02-2009, 12:34 PM
The big difference(for me) that many of you are forgetting in what is being stated...is that the pred is a manual tranny, where sleds, sportsman, and grizzlies are all auto. Meaning a pred could start by parking it on a hill, or being pulled/pushed!